Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy just came in the mail today *YA*, so haven't had chance to break it out.

Every day I see a new thread about questions on moving here, there, guard movement, cat movement and it's giving me pause.

My game group, god love them, doesn't tend to do well with a lot of confusion re: rules, so I like to have them 90% down. They have a tendency to turn their nose up at a second play if the first play was bogged down with lots of "I'm not sure, let's check the rules" and then our situation is not in the rule book specifically.

They also have a knack for running into the strangest scenarios.

Will we be okay on this one if we just jump in, or should I hold off introducing it?

I can't tell if this is normal/typical for *ANY* new game when it hits the table or if this one is particularly nuanced.

Thots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was a very simple game and straightforward to play. I really like how much game experience is in this little box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a very straightforward game, on par with Pandemic/Forbidden Island/Flash Point as far as complexity.

However, one caution/suggestion would be to leave out the "Loot" cards, at least at first. They were a late edition to the campaign, and IMO weren't playtested or worked out as well as everything else, and clarifications about them were not included in the printed rulebook. I had played the print-and-play several times without them, but had some confusion about them in my first play with the published copy, so I've decided to just ditch them for now. The game is challenging and fun enough without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldnt say that fiddly, no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's because it's brand new... there's always an influx of questions when a game is out, it will die down in a couple of weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Purkis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
youtube.com/c/actualol
badge
Actualol Board Game Videos
mbmb
I played it for the first time tonight and I didn't find it overly fiddly or confusing at all. There was the usual checking the rules the first time you do something, just to make sure you're doing it right - but apart from that it was pretty straight-forward.

I would agree that rules-wise it's on a par with Forbidden Desert. I liked the loot cards, so I would leave them in.

There were a couple of minor rules niggles that I just made a best guess, and am now going to check online. But they aren't core rules, more specifics of certain cards, and I don't think a misinterpretation would have swung the game too heavily either way. I suspect that most of the rules posts on BGG are focused on certain loot/tool cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If your goal is to introduce the game to your group while having rules mastery, play it solo. Then come here to clarify any questions you have.

I recommend playing it solo a few times so that you can get a feel for the way the game works.

I have not yet won a solo game with 3 floors, but it's still fun to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joelseph
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Check your pockets.
badge
Greatest healer.
mbmbmbmbmb
While the ideas being presented are not fiddly and are easy to grasp, the character abilities, loot cards, and edge cases are extremely fiddly from my limited experience with the game. The rules could also do a better job of addressing questions like Move vs Movement (see my new thread in rules for an example!).

I wasn't turned off from the game but I had the feeling you are describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - I think I'll hold off for now until I can try it solo and/or with someone who loves to dive in and explore a new game and isn't turned off with ambiguity and grey area.

Keep playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think it was, but I played it tonight and I felt like I could never shut up and play. I was talking the whole game explaining every little thing. May have been the people I was playing with but it seems there's a ton of little rules. Still had fun. And died horribly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
played a 2 player game (office heist) with someone who is very adept at picking up games quickly.

We won, but in hindsight had a few rules wrong.

Who is going to step up and create an awesome player aid for this game?

Didn't find it overly confusing, but we didn't play with the loot cards and we never triggered an alarm (he was hacker).

Enjoyable - can't wait to play harder version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls