Hide
11 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does not go on hunt? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nikola susnjara
msg tools
So if we are 4 players, and his character gets a you can not go on the next hunt card or effect, Can he use one of the other people alive? Or does that mean that we are only 2 on the next hunt?

How do you handle "new babies" that get +1 str when they are born for example? Can i assume a new character i make has +1 str or do i have too keep track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: 2016 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
lansing wrote:
So if we are 4 players, and his character gets a you can not go on the next hunt card or effect, Can he use one of the other people alive? Or does that mean that we are only 2 on the next hunt?

How do you handle "new babies" that get +1 str when they are born for example? Can i assume a new character i make has +1 str or do i have too keep track?
The players are not the same as the survivors. 4 survivors must go on each hunt as long as their are enough qualifying eligible survivors to do so (not retired, required to skip hunt, or otherwise restricted by an event etc). A player who started with Survivor A may choose Survivor B instead upon the next departing step of the Settlement Phase.

Tracking bonuses such as strength or accuracy is really up to you...you can assume so long as you manage this correctly (ie, don't apply newborn bonuses to your original survivors). We write COD on the survivor list for Clan of Death and any other similar stat-granting innovation/event (drawing a line across the sheet to indicate all new survivors below this line should gain this bonus). I'd say you should list it at the point when you make a character sheet for your survivor though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Petersen
United States
Walnut Creek
CA
flag msg tools
The player picks a different character to go on the hunt.

For modifiers to survivors without a character sheet, I track that stuff on their line in the record sheet. If events start making them really complicated, I go ahead and make them a record sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: I prefer the original TronMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
When you depart, you can take any of the available population. Players are not tied to using a specific survivor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikola susnjara
msg tools
OK thank you, so you always go with 4, unless you have less in your settlement to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: 2016 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
lansing wrote:
OK thank you, so you always go with 4, unless you have less in your settlement to choose from.
Correct. Some events may tell you that certain folks can't depart, but otherwise anyone is game as Damien mentions above. Even newborns.

Also, if you were allowed to take fewer, other folks have pointed out on other threads that this would cause most people to send out a lone "sacrificial lamb" to nemesis encounters rather than risking a TPK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Rasmussen
Denmark
flag msg tools
The "You cannot go to the next hunt" only applies to that particular survivor, it has nothing to do with the player.
He simply just takes one of the survivors from your settlement that has not yet been named and takes a blank character sheet, and names the survivor (Remember it gets +1 survival for naming). You can name an unnamed survivor at any time during the settlement phase. In principle as long as you have at least 4 survivors in your settlement and none of them are prevented to go to the next hunt you can always go hunting with 4.

You need to keep track, since only new survivors created as a result of intimacy gets the +1 str bonus of survival of the fittest. The other unnamed survivors in the settlement doesn't have the +1 str.

I personally name the new born right away and create a character sheet for it. I guess you could just write down the gender and note the +1 str on your survivor list. There will be several ways that strength can be additionally altered later in the game, it will make it easier if you are strict about writting it down, else you just forget it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Ares Games "Sword & Sorcery" Contest participantMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Diablo III fan
Tracking becomes a nightmare if done manually later on. I use the settlement manager floating around in this forum. I can track multiple survivors easily with the program. The biggest limitation is the 24 survivor limit, so you have to think up a solution once you reach over 24. I've created a 2nd "overflow" settlement but it makes it super annoying to transfer over survivors to the main settlement when I want to. I'm really going to dread the point when I'm over 48 survivors and I have to track 3 settlements worth of survivors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Platinum Image UploaderMicrobadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
Why would you need that many survivors? If you've got that much overflow, I'm assuming you're not using them all? We've marked down shorthand for multiples (for instance, vanilla x5, clan of death x2) until they get a sheet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Ares Games "Sword & Sorcery" Contest participantMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Diablo III fan
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Why would you need that many survivors? If you've got that much overflow, I'm assuming you're not using them all? We've marked down shorthand for multiples (for instance, vanilla x5, clan of death x2) until they get a sheet...
Why would I need that many survivors? In a game that ends when your survivor count reaches 0? Pretty sure I want to get as many survivors as I possibly can. Getting more endeavors for a big survivor camp is another reason.

And marking them with shorthand is great when survivors are identical. But they can easily be different even after birth. Some are born with +1 str (bed). Some are saviors. Now all my survivors have +1 understanding where they didn't before. Some survivors have maxed survival. Some only have 1. I can group some together, but they will mostly be groups of 2-3. Not worth the hassle at that point. And then once they go into battle, of course that will all change again. Survivors are easily rendered combat ineffective by suffering an unlucky permanent wound. I will likely never use them in combat again, but what if someday, I want to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls