Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I get distracted ea - SQUIRREL!Microbadge: Rules readerMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: I sleeve everythingMicrobadge: I survived the Mayan apocalypse
Hi, all,

i just got DQ today (FFG Revised Edition, i.e. "Russian Roulette with a Dungeon Instead of a Gun") and have a question about what i consider to be an unfortunate semantic ambiguity in the rules:

"Spider Web: Immediately move again, ignoring doors and portcullises."

The key term being "ignore." Does it mean:

A) do not consider any paths which contain a door or portcullis to be valid?

or

B) behave as if any paths which contain a door or portcullis did not have that door or portcullis?

:-?

FWIW, my interpretation is (B).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Hi, all,

i just got DQ today (FFG Revised Edition, i.e. "Russian Roulette with a Dungeon Instead of a Gun") and have a question about what i consider to be an unfortunate semantic ambiguity in the rules:

"Spider Web: Immediately move again, ignoring doors and portcullises."

The key term being "ignore." Does it mean:

A) do not consider any paths which contain a door or portcullis to be valid?

or

B) behave as if any paths which contain a door or portcullis did not have that door or portcullis?

:-?

FWIW, my interpretation is (B).
I would concur with you that this means to act as if the door/portcullis is not physically there and therefore does not require a card draw and/or strength check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking in the Rules Reference, apart from the ignoring during escaping from combat, all the 'ignoring all doors and portcullises' conditions are attached to "immediately move again" commands. Seems like it takes time for the doors/portcullises to close so by immediately moving you go through them while they are still open.

Can't think of a thematic reason for ignoring during combat escapes though :/

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls