9 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie needs clarifications... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard DDDD

Kentucky
msg tools
1) Everytime some one ends a turn in a room, do they do the action, like Omen or Event, or is it only when the room is initially played.

2) After the Haunt you can still explore, so does my previous question apply here also?

3) If you are in the safe room, can you forego moving and attempt to crack the safe?

4) Rooms like the safe, when you land there, can you crack the safe first or do you have to do the even first?

5) I am not 100% sure how the attack goes, meaning if you attack me, we both role, if you get lower you take damage, if I roll lower I take damage, so on my turn I attack you, we roll again, the lower roller takes the difference in damage, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Sand Springs
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only when the room is first turned over.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. You could also attempt to crack the safe and then move.
4. See #3.
5. I'll have to go look this one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#5: Yes (see also distance attacks and dynamite item for the exceptions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack results are applied regardless of who initiates the attacks. The player with the LOWER total must take the difference of the rolls in physical damage (or mental if the case warrants it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
hotrodqt wrote:
1. Only when the room is first turned over.

You're globalising incorrectly. You only get Omens, Items and Events when you first enter a room, but actions can be performed every time a player stops in the room. The exception is the stat-boosting actions, where there's a consensus rule that you can't get the same boost twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stegner
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is important to note that some of the haunts specifically say that no more exploring can be done in the house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only when the tile is discovered.
2. Yes, the exploration of the house goes normally.
3. Not clear in the manual, but always played with action ends moving, so if you try to open the safe, turns ends.
4. Event first, always the event, you could be transported to another room, and it's very difficult to crack a safe from other room.
5. Fight goes this way: the attacker choses from three: Physical, Mental and steal , chose the trait and roll the dice, defender rolls it's dice like the trait, if is a normal attack and the loser is a monster, it depends of haunt, but could be, dead, stunned or the difference of rools. If the loser is the hero, the hero takes the difference of rools, player choses the way to distribute them. Mental process the same way, but the damage is taken in mental traits. Steal is somewhat different, since the attacker doesn't inflict damage even he score but if the defender score a higher roll will inflict damage. (Note: We play choosing to steal before the attack, but rules talk about choosing after the roll, seems more logical to state before what the hero going to try than "I was going to hit him, but now i prefer robbing him").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baalrukh wrote:

3. Not clear in the manual, but always played with action ends moving, so if you try to open the safe, turns ends.

The FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/hoth) clarifies this point significantly. In short, you're allowed to do all the "actions" you want, in any order you want, at any point in your movement, but:
- You can only do a single thing involving a given item (take it, drop it, use it) per turn.
- You can only try any given dice roll once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read and print out the FAQs for the Rooms, the Survival Tome and the Traitor's Tome. They have the best and I think current information that answers your questions.

1) They can do actions but Omens and Events and Item cards are only flipped the first time someone enters in the room.

2) Depends on the Haunt. Most of the Haunts will allow you to still explore but a few explictly say you may not explore any rooms unless you have no other options.

3)&4) Trying to open the Vault or Safe or any other thing is an action and not movement. You can both try to open the Vault/Safe and move. You can still use the Vault when it is turned over after the event happens, if you are still in that room, from what the FAQ reads.

5) That is correct. So attacking someone with a might of 6 while you have a might of 2 can kill you. The person with a might of 6 rolls 5 while the might of 2 rolls 3. The difference is of 2 and the person who has the might of 2 takes 2 points of physical damage, not 2 die of physical damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.