Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over in GWEK's Jobs Analysis thread (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1454539), I was inspired to begin work on a deck that would allow us to randomize the destinations for Jobs. Below is a very preliminary first draft of what such a card might look like.

Initial ideas (far from final):
- The graphic design isn't much yet, but I'm focusing on the content first.
- That said, if anyone wants to spiffy it up, please do.
- The idea is that each card would offer a choice of Destinations.
- You'd draw from the Destination deck when picking a face-down Job.
- If you keep the Job, you'd pick one of the Destinations, and have that showing below the Job. If you discard the Job, discard the Destination too.
- The abbreviations in black stand for the five major systems (Blue Sun, Georgia, etc.) and indicate where the Job is picked up.
- The percentages are adjustments to the amount in the Pay tab. I figure 10% increments are easier to figure than multiplying by 0.8 or 1.1, but I could be wrong about that. I don't want people have to drag out the calculators, but I know some people strongly dislike math.
- The adjustments are based on GWEK's observations in the thread linked above. A Job that takes you from Blue Sun to Kalidasa is going to be worth 40% more than a run across Alliance space, other things being equal.
- I adjusted the value downwards if the destination was a Contact or Supply planet, since those are inherently more convenient that the other sort.
- I also adjusted the value downwards if the Destination is on the edge of its kind of space, based on GWEK's observation. Not sure if that's exactly what he had in mind, but my thinking is that if I have a Warrant, I'll stay in Border space as long as I can, and duck into Alliance space on my last move.
- The Bonus field works just like the Bonus tab on the job, but does not stack with it. For example, maybe there is a Medic bonus for Jobs to Ariel, or a Soldier bonus at Hera.
- The more populous worlds will appear on up to three cards, while the least (like the gas giants and presumably their moons) will only be on on each.
- I intend to arrange it so that you can take out the Blue Sun and/or Kalidasa cards if you aren't playing with those maps, and still have a good distribution of the worlds from the base game.
- The images are from Phideauxi's excellent Icons and Graphics image, which I can't find on the site to link to right now.

As I said, this is just my first stab so I welcome any and all comments.
At this point I envision a deck of about 48 cards, leaving room for a Reshuffle and maybe some other clever bits.

Cheers,
---------
*|\___/|* Chuck Cooley
*{.O^O.}*
*.\:|:/.* Westminster CO
*..o_o..*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link and image fixed:
vantage wrote:
Over in GWEK's Jobs Analysis thread, I was inspired to begin work on a deck that would allow us to randomize the destinations for Jobs. Below is a very preliminary first draft of what such a card might look like.

Initial ideas (far from final):
- The graphic design isn't much yet, but I'm focusing on the content first.
- That said, if anyone wants to spiffy it up, please do.
- The idea is that each card would offer a choice of Destinations.
- You'd draw from the Destination deck when picking a face-down Job.
- If you keep the Job, you'd pick one of the Destinations, and have that showing below the Job. If you discard the Job, discard the Destination too.
- The abbreviations in black stand for the five major systems (Blue Sun, Georgia, etc.) and indicate where the Job is picked up.
- The percentages are adjustments to the amount in the Pay tab. I figure 10% increments are easier to figure than multiplying by 0.8 or 1.1, but I could be wrong about that. I don't want people have to drag out the calculators, but I know some people strongly dislike math.
- The adjustments are based on GWEK's observations in the thread linked above. A Job that takes you from Blue Sun to Kalidasa is going to be worth 40% more than a run across Alliance space, other things being equal.
- I adjusted the value downwards if the destination was a Contact or Supply planet, since those are inherently more convenient that the other sort.
- I also adjusted the value downwards if the Destination is on the edge of its kind of space, based on GWEK's observation. Not sure if that's exactly what he had in mind, but my thinking is that if I have a Warrant, I'll stay in Border space as long as I can, and duck into Alliance space on my last move.
- The Bonus field works just like the Bonus tab on the job, but does not stack with it. For example, maybe there is a Medic bonus for Jobs to Ariel, or a Soldier bonus at Hera.
- The more populous worlds will appear on up to three cards, while the least (like the gas giants and presumably their moons) will only be on on each.
- I intend to arrange it so that you can take out the Blue Sun and/or Kalidasa cards if you aren't playing with those maps, and still have a good distribution of the worlds from the base game.
- The images are from Phideauxi's excellent Icons and Graphics image, which I can't find on the site to link to right now.

As I said, this is just my first stab so I welcome any and all comments.
At this point I envision a deck of about 48 cards, leaving room for a Reshuffle and maybe some other clever bits.

Cheers,
---------
*|\___/|* Chuck Cooley
*{.O^O.}*
*..o_o..*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediate thought: what happens if you add 10% to an $1100 payout, given that the money is all in multiples of $100?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round down. Or maybe up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the pay modification by distance should be a fixed value: if a job takes the form "go here and do stuff", the "go here" part doesn't get more challenging just because the stuff is harder to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Immediate thought: what happens if you add 10% to an $1100 payout, given that the money is all in multiples of $100?
Yeah, I should have said something about rounding.

I have a spreadsheet where I'm calculating the values across all the worlds, and I'm aiming for a cumulative adjustment of zero (i.e. the net amount of payouts will be the same whether or not you use this deck).

Given that, and the additional Bonuses, I'm inclined toward dropping anything less than $100.

---------
*|\___/|* Chuck Cooley
*{.O^O.}*
*..o_o..*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Perhaps the pay modification by distance should be a fixed value: if a job takes the form "go here and do stuff", the "go here" part doesn't get more challenging just because the stuff is harder to do.
Hmmmm. I see your point. My original thinking in the other direction is that a dangerous job clear on the other side of the 'Verse should pay proportionally more than a safe one with a similarly long flight. Not sure.

It would simplify the math. I guess the real answer would to analyze the existing jobs, but even GWEK was daunted by that task.

---------
*|\___/|* Chuck Cooley
*{.O^O.}*
*..o_o..*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed I was! It's much more complicated than I expected it to be!

I don't think I ever got to crime, but there DOES seem to be a bit of a pattern there (not that it would impact destinations) across all contacts. I should probably finish up eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it, you'd adjust the payout for Transport, Shipping and Smuggling jobs in the opposite direction first, to arrive at a "distance-neutral" payout based on the risk of the job (which is effectively what you already have for Crime and Task jobs).

Then you'd add the distance bonus generated from these cards.

This would be fairly hard work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking another look at this, I sure see what GWEK is talking about. I'm not saying there's no rhyme or reason to the payout on Jobs, but it sure isn't linear with distance.

So, perhaps my proposed Destination cards should provide a flat adjustment based on the number of systems crossed. This certainly simplifies the math. I'm thinking a range from -$300 for a randomized destination in the same system where the job is picked up, to +$900 for flying all the way from Kalidasa to Blue Sun (or vice versa). Then adjust those values downwards adjustments as I mentioned before, for worlds with decks (where you might want to go anyway) or on the border between two sorts of Nav cards.

I calculate (roughly) that only about 10% of jobs have a gross payout (including likely Bonuses) of less than $1200, and only eight in the whole game (all from Harken) go as low as $600. This means that it is improbable that a Job would become worthless due to a Destination card, especially if I am careful to pair White Sun worlds with places further out, so that at least one choice is viable.

Does this idea seem more tenable now? Obviously, there are details to be worked out, specifically how the cards are drawn and assigned to Jobs.

---------
*|\___/|* Chuck Cooley
*{.O^O.}*
*..o_o..*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've completed this deck. It includes 48 cards, each of which looks something like this:

The idea (as discussed above) is that when you draw one of these cards, you'd then have two choices with which to replace the end point of a Job.

You could also use them in other circumstances calling for a random planet, especially when playing solitaire, like when you need to move the Corvette "to a sector not occupied by a Firefly".

You might even use them at Setup. If you drew two cards at the beginning of the game you'd have up to four choices of starting location. Might keep everyone from lining up near Persephone, but some folks wouldn't like the additional randomness. Just a possibility.

The cards include all 56 planets (and three stations) depicted on the map. (I didn't have a good image for the Cortex Relays, but there wasn't room for the name and an image anyway). I duplicated the most populous planets two and even three times; that's how 59 locations are spread across both ends of 48 cards.

The row of text just below the image indicates an adjustment to the Pay, depending on the Pick-Up location (or where you made the Deal for one-part Jobs). Destinations requiring you to travel further pay a little better, and those where you might want to go anyway (like Supply planets and Contacts) not as much.

Just under half the planets have an additional Bonus, either for a Profession which works just like on Jobs, or something else like Bribes, or extra Misbehaves, or what have you. I based these on canonical sources as much as possible, but also included a few tidbits from The Verse in Numbers and the role-playing game.

The planets without an additional Bonus are generally the ones with decks or the biggest distance Bonuses. A few (like Shadow and St. Albans) have a line or two of flavor text, but at the moment most just say NO BONUS. I feel like there's not enough canonical information to put flavor on every card, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Across the bottom is a picture and the name of the star system as a hint on where to find the place. Not sure how some of the star pictures will look once the corners are rounded, but that's what playtest is for.

If there is interest, I could post the list of bonuses -- or even the PDF of all the cards -- in the Files section. Once I playtest them and polish them up, I might run them through PrinterStudio.

Comments are more than welcome, especially regarding the design of the cards (not my specialty) or the bonuses and flavor text.

Keep Flyin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls