Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Hammack
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious how people were tracking plays?

Are people considering each "run" a play? Or each session? Or only 1 game for each scenario?

I played last night. We did two runs. We didn't complete the object to the base game (But felt close... we got the purple ending.)so we have at least one more run.

I think I will do a run a play, but like I said I was just curious for other players were doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am recording all my games.

But I consider a game in TIME composed of multiple runs: i.e.: When you reach the "Mission Succes" card, that is a game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Keep in mind that you can't really fail a game this way. You can fail a run, however. Maybe future Scenarios are failable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose to record one run as one play. I've run Asylum and Marcy three times each = six logged plays of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm changing up a few of the rules to better fit what I enjoy in the game (primarily, pulling out the overall time tracker so that we can explore the scenario more fully without feeling rushed to try to meet an arbitrary time limit), so each play for me is a full run of a scenario, from start to finish (be it success or failure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
Magius wrote:
I'm changing up a few of the rules to better fit what I enjoy in the game (primarily, pulling out the overall time tracker so that we can explore the scenario more fully without feeling rushed to try to meet an arbitrary time limit), so each play for me is a full run of a scenario, from start to finish (be it success or failure).
I don't mind houseruling, but you can't just delete the time track. For a multitude of reasons: primarily that most of the Traps/dead ends decrease your time. If you run out of time, you can still reset and keep items. So you can still fully explore. Also
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Scoring system works with time.

Removing the time limit, is removing the backbone of this game. Please don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpiritReacher wrote:
Magius wrote:
I don't mind houseruling, but you can't just delete the time track. For a multitude of reasons: primarily that most of the Traps/dead ends decrease your time. If you run out of time, you can still reset and keep items. So you can still fully explore. Also...
Agree, that is a very very strange idea. The whole mechanics revolves on having a finite time. Avoiding true dead-ends, avoiding combat as much as you can, targeting the UT shields, etc. The whole "game" as far as decision is concerned is about time optimisation.

On the other hand, sorry telling could remain entertaining I guess. So, if it fits your taste, why not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I know it's a bit of an odd stance to take, especially in a metagenre where some level of competition (be it against other players or VS the game itself) is expected and even encouraged. In most of those cases, the competition forms the story of the game.

Time Stories is different. Time Stories has a built in narrative and setting to explore and see what happens. As many have said, it is the Point and Click Adventure Game of Board Games. For me, the time limit hampers my enjoyment of the exploration - it's frustrating to be halfway along the tunnel into the unknown when the game just... ends. If you want a dead end to end a run, put in an end condition for that dead end. That way, at least it feels like you've completed a story (even if it has a bad end) rather than just ran out of time.

In addition, when the entire game is a mad dash to the finish, you lose a lot of potential for varied pacing and building tension in the scenario. If it's already a mad dash to the finish line, how do you differentiate a race to catch a train, or rush to disarm a bomb, etc?

Finally, the early parts of the game lose something when played through in rapid succession. You already know what's there and what each character has to say (though some changing dialogue on multiple runs could be interesting), so it's more about grabbing what you need (or think you need) efficiently and rushing forward to what you haven't seen yet.

On the subjective side, I have always preferred story based activities (novels, Point and Click adventure games, RPGs - both CRPGs and PNPRPGs, etc) rather than competitive ones. I'd rather see the story play out naturally in one play through rather than in a start and stop manner over 2-4. I don't care about the ranking, or how I compare to others who have played, just that I've seen the story play out.

Thus, I'm making changes that I feel will enhance my enjoyment of the game rather than just dealing with what I find frustrating about the game. Yes, it is a different experience than most others would find - but it gives me what I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Finland
Espoo/Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:

Thus, I'm making changes that I feel will enhance my enjoyment of the game
But this game is for 2-4 players. Changing the biggest component of the game to suit you makes the 3 other people lose out on the experience of the game. This is not a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes it sound like I'm being a tyrant with my copy of the game and refusing to play it any way other than my own. That is not the case. As a house rule, it is something that I would bring up with the group that I'm playing with, and not something that I would put into effect for a given game unless the majority of players agreed that doing so would make the game more enjoyable for them.

As for it being the biggest component of the game, I disagree. The biggest component of the game, the one that makes it stand out, is the sense of exploration and learning about a given setting that no other board game can currently deliver. I feel that the inherent time limit directly hampers this exploration, particularly in Asylum where you simply don't have enough time to explore the setting in any meaningful way AND reach the end of the scenario in a single run, or even in two runs (for an excellent example, look at the Dice Tower playthrough - it took them the equivalent of 4 runs to explore the setting and finish the scenario).

It also presents a barrier in scenario design and pacing. If you have a strict time limit on the overall game such as that presented in Asylum, then you can't rely on the traditional Introduction, Rising Action, Climax, Denoument style of storytelling because there simply isn't enough time to get through it all. You can't include any timer based challenges because the entire game is a timer based challenge, so it would not have any form of impact.

For me, it would be better to represent the dead ends and wrong turns as distinct end states rather than events that exist simply to eat up time - though the occasional time waster is fine and even desirable (in a stress relieving "Oh, I can't believe I fell for that!" way rather than a, "Crud, I can't believe I wasted that much of our time on that!" way).

So, for me, I've looked at what it adds to the game (a way of artificially cranking up the tension and giving the players a competitive score at the end of the game) and what it takes away from the game (interrupting the flow of the story, restricting what sorts of stories can be told with it as well as what sorts of puzzles and devices can be used with it) and I've come to the conclusion that the latter far outways the former. The group that I played through Asylum with agrees with me, and we had a far more enjoyable game the second time through (when we decided to kill the time limit and just see where the story took us) than the first time through (when we were pulled out halfway through a location). It is my decision, and it is not one that I feel should be enforced on everyone (though when I create scenarios myself, it will be with no time limit but many end conditions rather than a strict XX time units to win the scenario or it just ends design philosophy).

[edit] And if you really want to keep the competitive score keeping, you can just count up the TU taken to complete the scenario, add X number of points if you hit a Fail condition (say, 2-5 for going down a rabbit hole, and 10+ for actively helping a Fault to occur), and you have the competitive score to track and compare with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls