Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
Microbadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: TurtleCON Attendee
I thought it would be fun to get more threads started on various strategies, so here's the one for Errand Boy!

The benefit of a first turn Errand Boy is obvious, as you gain the extra drink from all sources and the freezer. But when should you go for it, and where do you go from there?

The prime game to lead with this is where aren't many drinks on the board, or the routes to get drinks aren't very efficient. Obviously, getting an extra drink per source becomes pretty valuable in this case.

It also seems stronger in the absence of a turn 2 marketer, as it allows you to stockpile more stuff before there is demand for anything, allowing you to respond to any drink (and possibly even food) demands that might occur, regardless of turn order.

So, where do you go with this after turn 1? There are a few avenues I find interesting:

1) Get a waitress to also get the $5 waitress milestone, and start working your way up to a radio campaign to market the shit out of the drink of your choice. This is a better option if the map has several disconnected neighborhoods, where more of your competition is cut off from your area of the map until they start expanding their franchise. I also think this is a better option if you think the game is going to be short, as the other players might not be able to respond to your radio campaign much before the game ends. It also helps if the other players aren't doing a ton of marketing themselves, allowing them to go unchecked while you chase your radio campaign down.

2) Get a waitress to also get the $5 waitress milestone, and then get a Kitchen Trainee. Produce either a burger or pizza with him, grabbing either the first burger or first pizza bonus of a free Cook. You now have the ability to produce absolutely everything in the game, and respond to any marketing the other players do. Remember you also have the ability to stockpile stuff, so playing these guys until your freezer is full is viable. This is a better option if the map is well-connected and the other players are doing marketing.

With this option, you'll also want to work toward a local or regional manager to allow you to expand and compete more effectively. This is probably more effective for a longer game, as it'll take a while to get all three of your restaurants out and in position to take advantage of whatever the other players do.

In either of the above options, you might be able to skip the waitress if early marketing happens that you can barge in on. You could instead get a pricing manager, getting the milestone for lowering prices, allowing you to more easily swoop in with your $8 or $9 price if you're not too far away from the area(s) being marketed to. The other advantage here would be being early to $20, allowing you to see what game length you're dealing with to see if you want to do #1 or #2.

As usual for this game, all options are highly situational and you're going to have to respond to what other players do and what the map looks like, so you can't just go into a game saying "I'm going to do X". But, I think these are some very viable plans for a first turn Errand Boy. Of course, there are probably several other routes to pursue with Errand Boy as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Errand Boy milestone ability, but I find it more situational. If you are on your own Island, this could be the ticket to a quick game income, however, if it is a long game you will have to be flexible to handle the couple extra rounds you did not count on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Microbadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: TurtleCON Attendee
Mabuchi wrote:
I love the Errand Boy milestone ability, but I find it more situational. If you are on your own Island, this could be the ticket to a quick game income, however, if it is a long game you will have to be flexible to handle the couple extra rounds you did not count on.
Yup, I don't think it's ever bad, but I agree some maps are definitely better for it than others.

It can be particularly devastating in a two player game if one beverage fails to appear on the map. In that case I think it's Errand Boy, and then race to your radio campaign to exploit the fact that you have the only reasonable path to getting a bunch of that beverage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

It can be particularly devastating in a two player game if one beverage fails to appear on the map. In that case I think it's Errand Boy, and then race to your radio campaign to exploit the fact that you have the only reasonable path to getting a bunch of that beverage.
I wouldn't go that far. There are multiple ways to skin a cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this route but skipped on a trainer far too long and never got back in the race. My drinks stayed cold, but also just stayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
ropearoni4 wrote:
I tried this route but skipped on a trainer far too long and never got back in the race. My drinks stayed cold, but also just stayed.
Yeah, now that I've played a game trying this, I also ran into the "oops, I need a trainer" problem as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Washington's War fanMicrobadge: Pillars of the Earth fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Thunder Alley fanMicrobadge: Legendary fan - Instinct Hero
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
A geeze... And here I hoped I could be the one to invent "The Nuke(d) Radio" strategy... oh well maybe I get to name it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls