John Mackenzie
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks,

I just watched this old video where Rob Daviau explains the design genesis for Risk Legacy, that was shared with me on another forum. This is from December 2013, so work on Pandemic Legacy hadn't begun, so there's no chance of spoilers, other than in a general mechanical sense. I was particularly fascinated by the way that some of the ideas mentioned in this video have evolved into the design ideas for PL.

Specifically, he refers to psychology research that found people reach the peak of their excitement for a game when opening the box for the very first time - which is such a great insight into why PL is filled with boxes. And even though I know this, the anticipation of opening those damn boxes is killing me.

It also demonstrates why having a box to open after multiple losses is such a genius design decision - yes, you've lost many games in a row, but at least now you get to open that one unique special box!

That is just the tip of the iceberg in what is an outstanding insight into the Legacy design process. Having watched this, I have an even deeper appreciation for PL and for the incredible sophistication in its design.

I hope you enjoy it also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hicks
United States
University Place
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy watching this video! Rob Daviau's insights into design in general are very interesting. It is also fairly interesting, if I recall, that at the time this video was filmed Pandemic Legacy wasn't even on the horizon; I remember watching this video eager to learn scraps about Seafall. It is a bit crazy to think about how many iterations Seafall has probably gone through now. If you are interested in learning more insights into Rob Daviau's design process I really enjoy the game design round table podcast: http://thegamedesignroundtable.com/ that has him, Dirk Knemeyer, and David V. Heron as the regulars and then many different designers will come on and talk about design on their projects. They all often get into interesting ideas about the projects they are working on like Seafall and the Chronicles system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better quality of the video can be found in this older thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls