United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello everyone!

We’ve been asked some interesting questions since this project became public, and today we want to share one of those with you that is a little too complex to simply be put in an FAQ.

Q: “Why not make the campaign goal something much lower, like $25,000? This would result in a “Funded” campaign more quickly, which will attract more backers and result in reaching our “real” funding goal.

A:
There are two primary reasons we didn’t take this route:

First, it would have been a very risky move for a small company to take. For example, the miniature molds alone cost $17,000 dollars. If we’d actually funded at a lower level than we’re asking, but then the campaign lost steam, it would be impossible to deliver a satisfactory product to our backers.

Second, even the current $75,000 dollar goal will only cover bare production costs. As a small company we don’t have the leverage of our bigger counterparts to negotiate the price of producing one full game box. The question is not only about the amount of money raised, but also the number of game boxes ordered from the factories.

The hard truth is that if Perdition’s Mouth doesn’t fund then there is a high chance it will never be produced. This campaign is not a glorified pre-order system like you sometimes see on Kickstarter. It’s really the kind of project Kickstarter was originally created for: helping a small company make a dream come true. And dreams are more expensive to produce than products.

Let us assure you that the current funding goal was a result of a lot of deliberation. Funding at the base goal will allows us to create Perdition’s Mouth, which is the dream we’ve been working so hard to achieve. It will be a full, feature-packed game offering hours and hours of fun and challenge.

Thank you all so much for your support on this project, dream makers.

:-Dan (Editor for Perdition's Mouth)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should probably be added to the main campaign page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was sent out as a campaign update. Do you mean also adding it to the FAQ on the main KS page too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
It was sent out as a campaign update. Do you mean also adding it to the FAQ on the main KS page too?
Yes. Note that I already backed, this is just good info for those still thinking about it or that have not followed the game for the last year or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh yes, good point. They all show up on the updates page, but I'm sure not everyone looks at those in addition to the main page. BTW - thanks for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You see evidence of many KS projects doing this sort of thing, only to cancel even though they were fully funded because they weren't going to reach their 'actual' funding goal.

I'm not sure funded/not-funded is what influences the activity in a KS - it's much more likely just the stretch goals which don't kick until after funding is met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Zoglmann
United States
Newnan
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a backer and I am worried about this game funding. With Arcadia Quest: Inferno coming out on the 17th. I see people a lot of people backing that and even pulling their pledge for this.

I thought this game had a lot of buzz and was going to be funded in the first day, but it has lost the initial momentum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tehzmann wrote:
I am a backer and I am worried about this game funding. With Arcadia Quest: Inferno coming out on the 17th. I see people a lot of people backing that and even pulling their pledge for this.

I thought this game had a lot of buzz and was going to be funded in the first day, but it has lost the initial momentum.
I know it can seem that the initial slowdown every campaign experiences is bad news, it really is way too early to tell. Kicktraq, while not always prescient, still indicates a very strong overall funding, so I'm not worried about hitting the goal.

I've only been with the dev team for a little while, but there's so much that attracted me to the project, and a huge part of it is the secret weapon of Timo and the guys on the road, at conventions and gatherings, live demoing, and getting the word out.

It's been less than two days and we're well over a third of the way there already. I've seen plenty of KS campaigns keep the steady increase through the month and finish strong to overfund.

It's easy to forget that when the ones getting all the press are those that blast past their goal in hours. But that's not the norm, it's the exception. As Timo has said, Perdition's Mouth is the type of campaign KS was built for, and we're just getting started.

So, now that I've gone on way longer than I'd planned, I'll wrap up by reminding you all to share the links, thumbs, google +1's, and fan, and we'll keep building a great community and get this game into reality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched some meta-datas, and it seems that only 10% of the projects over 30% funding are not funded in the end, and it drops to 3% for projects over 50%.
I think the project is going just fine, but the high (but realistic) objective and no "free kickstarter exclusive" at the moment, and stretchgoals yet far away may put some poeple off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's hope you're correct.

We have still some good stuff coming on next update (which I'm currently writing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls