Subject: In Defense of Destroying Components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gr Wr
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cul de Sac fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan - GandalfMicrobadge: BoJack Horseman fanMicrobadge: Churchill fan - I play ChurchillMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fan
clydeiii wrote:
eviljelloman wrote:
GrWr wrote:
I meant specifically having to re-buy the game in order to replay vs. an intrinsically resettable game. That difference offers no value for the additional cost in my opinion. I'm sorry if I was unclear.
Except that it fundamentally changes the experience in a way that, quite obviously, people enjoy and find valuable.
Agree 100%. Without the Legacy aspect of Pandemic Legacy, we're just left with Pandemic.
Not really. Pandemic does not have any type of campaign of continuous scenarios with surprises and plot twists. Those, to me, are the interesting part of Pandemic Legacy: Season 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift System fanMicrobadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: Mechs vs. Minions fanMicrobadge: Jaipur fanMicrobadge: Tobago fan
GrWr wrote:
I think most RPG players would agree with me. Write a campaign that people will remember, that touches them emotionally, and you don't have to force them to tear up a card in order to get a reaction.
Hey, I thought your post was well-written and made your thought process clear; thank you for that. I would encourage you to try a Legacy game- if not one on the market, then one that you are drawn to at some late time. Your recognition of the novelty and emotional buy-in of making a permanent change is correct. I contend that it's not cheap and it's certainly not hackneyed in this space.

More importantly, though, and what seems to be near universally missed among those who haven't played PL or RL, is that this is a TINY element of the games. The one thing everyone seems to cling to is that "cards will be torn!". There is actually very little tearing up of components. It's far more additive than subtractive.

It's much more akin to the crafting of characters and world in pen & paper RPGs. While I enjoyed a bunch of videogame RPGs when I was younger, my favorites have always been those played at a table with a small group of friends. Have you ever enjoyed a great, months long quest with friends, blanked your character sheets, gathered and replayed the campaign from scratch? That option is what the uninitiated are calling for with the Legacy games and it reflects an ignorance of the systems at play akin to a mom who asks how many touchdowns you've scored in that night's Forgotten Realms adventure. I'm not going to erase my character sheet; are you insane??

Finally, you mentioned a complaint that you don't want to have to design the game; the designers should do that. Well, they did; they designed games that allow us to have a hand in that process. This is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT. You seem to have a respect for art and games, so I'd encourage you to look into some video, audio, or text interviews with Rob Daviau. The effort that goes into creating a Legacy system (this is a misnomer as the two released games use very different mechanisms to achieve pretty distinct types of "permanence") is Herculean. It's like designing and balancing probably 10+ games or more. The longer they go, the more branched and difficult they are to contain. Anyway, cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
GrWr wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
eviljelloman wrote:
GrWr wrote:
I meant specifically having to re-buy the game in order to replay vs. an intrinsically resettable game. That difference offers no value for the additional cost in my opinion. I'm sorry if I was unclear.
Except that it fundamentally changes the experience in a way that, quite obviously, people enjoy and find valuable.
Agree 100%. Without the Legacy aspect of Pandemic Legacy, we're just left with Pandemic.
Not really. Pandemic does not have any type of campaign of continuous scenarios with surprises and plot twists. Those, to me, are the interesting part of Pandemic Legacy: Season 1.
Right. Surprises and plot twists. Those are core to it. But even if the game was replayable, you can't wipe your mind. Those plot twists and surprises are gone. And therein is the issue. It's a game designed to be played through once. After which much of what makes it interesting is gone. In that context, you might as well make permanent changes to the components because you won't be playing it a second time anyway.

Some forms of art are designed as one-shots, single experiences you're not meant to repeat. Films that hinge on twists, interactive theatre and so on. This is one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gr Wr
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cul de Sac fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan - GandalfMicrobadge: BoJack Horseman fanMicrobadge: Churchill fan - I play ChurchillMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fan
Deano2099 wrote:
GrWr wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
eviljelloman wrote:
GrWr wrote:
Right. Surprises and plot twists. Those are core to it. But even if the game was replayable, you can't wipe your mind. Those plot twists and surprises are gone. And therein is the issue. It's a game designed to be played through once. After which much of what makes it interesting is gone. In that context, you might as well make permanent changes to the components because you won't be playing it a second time anyway.

Some forms of art are designed as one-shots, single experiences you're not meant to repeat. Films that hinge on twists, interactive theatre and so on. This is one of those.
But you don't get the entire experience in one playthrough. You get one subset, and are left with a game that is a subset, a result of your one course taken through the game. You don't get the chance to see how other choices might play out without buying the game again.

Surprises and plot twists are novel, and you cannot remove the knowledge from your experience, but a good story will be worth experiencing again, even if you know what is going to happen. Timeless art (or entertainment) deepens on repeat experience, rather than relying on the surprise to carry the entire emotional load for the audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Right. But not all good art is timeless art. There is plenty of good art that utilises surprise and novelty as key features. Yes, it tends not to last as long as it's designed for a single experience, but that doesn't make it intrinsically worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gr Wr
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:
Right. But not all good art is timeless art. There is plenty of good art that utilises surprise and novelty as key features. Yes, it tends not to last as long as it's designed for a single experience, but that doesn't make it intrinsically worse.
I respectfully disagree. I feel that reliance on novelty is intrinsically lesser art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrWr wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I feel that reliance on novelty is intrinsically lesser art.
The thing that I don't understand is the vitriol against this. I have no problem with people such as yourself that find it a lesser game. I haven't even played a legacy and I can see how it'll appeal to some.

Art and pleasure is subjective thinking something is not as good as something else doesn't reduce it's ability and right to exist. I don't care if something is a gimmick or not. If people get enjoyment out of it then let it exist and let those people enjoy it in peace.

I don't see this as a cash-grab from FFG either. It's not like you start playing and then find out the mechanics and are forced to purchase the game a second time. I'm actually also pretty sure that the majority of people will only play this game once. I'm also sure a large amount of people will buy it multiple times but I also know people that see movies at the theater 3-5 times.

At the same time I think it's pretty ridiculous for those that choose to blast people that attempt to play it without permanently modifying the components. The beauty about owning a game is that it's now yours to play with as you see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
GrWr wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Fair enough. And yeah, that means you won't get on with Legacy games then as that's exactly what they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
There are a lot of people in this thread who simply don't understand why legacy concepts appeal to some people. Just because you don't like it or understand it does not mean it is a lesser idea.

There is no need to "defend" for these games. If you don't like it don't buy it and play something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: Prog Rock fanMicrobadge: CatholicMicrobadge: Buffy fan
GrWr wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Without commenting on whether I think Legacy relies on novelty, I think the use of the phrase "lesser art" suggests you may not really understand the concept of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gr Wr
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
DavidT wrote:
GrWr wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Without commenting on whether I think Legacy relies on novelty, I think the use of the phrase "lesser art" suggests you may not really understand the concept of art.
Hey, enjoyment of art is an almost purely subjective exercise. Everything I've said is obviously my opinion. Others disagree with me, and they have every right to do so, and to express that, and to explain their opinions, if they choose. But we all make value judgements about art, what art is better or worse to us, what concepts do and do not appeal to us.

To say I don't understand art because I value some things more than others is an unnecessary bit of insult. We all do that. I was simply interested in this discussion, and thought that I would offer my opinion. This conversation is much more interesting when it isn't just ad hominems and vitriol about ripping up cards flying back and forth. A discussion of differing opinions can be very illuminating when everyone involved isn't accussing the other side of being ignorant or presenting their opinions as facts.

And thanks, xen911, for being a voice of reason in these discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: Prog Rock fanMicrobadge: CatholicMicrobadge: Buffy fan
GrWr wrote:
DavidT wrote:
GrWr wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Hey, enjoyment of art is an almost purely subjective exercise. Everything I've said is obviously my opinion. Others disagree with me, and they have every right to do so, and to express that, and to explain their opinions, if they choose. But we all make value judgements about art, what art is better or worse to us, what concepts do and do not appeal to us.

To say I don't understand art because I value some things more than others is an unnecessary bit of insult. We all do that. I was simply interested in this discussion, and thought that I would offer my opinion. This conversation is much more interesting when it isn't just ad hominems and vitriol about ripping up cards flying back and forth. A discussion of differing opinions can be very illuminating when everyone involved isn't accussing the other side of being ignorant or presenting their opinions as facts.

And thanks, xen911, for being a voice of reason in these discussions.
I apologize for my phrasing. I did not intend to insult you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fan
atonaltensor wrote:
the reason for destroying components is experiential (it psychologically raises the stakes for your game play decisions)
This strikes me as inaccurate, at least in the case of Pandemic Legacy. Risk Legacy had more of this element. But almost every single time you destroy something in Pandemic Legacy it is not a result of your decisions; it is typically the result of having moved past one phase of the game and on to another.

I agree with your sentiment (I would never play this game in some "non-Legacy" adaptation), but I think this piece of your argument is inaccurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
Microbadge: Big Trouble in Little China: The Game fanMicrobadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Space Cadets: Away Missions fan
As a thought experiment, what if there were a Pandemic Legacy app that you could play over and over? It could easily keep track of the changes to the board and the cards and the rules. It could even have visual and sound effects for opening up new boxes or tearing up cards.

How would this change the playing experience?

As another thought experiment, think of the same app that only lets you play it through once. How would this change your experience?

Would these versions of the game be as good and as compelling as the cardboard version? Maybe part of the appeal of a Legacy game is that it has moved even further away from computer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gr Wr
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
BitJam wrote:
As a thought experiment, what if there were a Pandemic Legacy app that you could play over and over? It could easily keep track of the changes to the board and the cards and the rules. It could even have visual and sound effects for opening up new boxes or tearing up cards.

As another thought experiment, think of the same app that only lets you play it through once. How would this change your experience?

Would these versions of the game be as good and as compelling as the cardboard version? Maybe part of the appeal of a Legacy game is that it has moved even further away from computer games.
This is a very interesting suggestion. I know that I would be more in support of the multi-use program, but certainly fans of the Legacy system could conceivably like it implemented in computer form as well.

I wanted to propose a related thought experiment. This is a sincere attempt at an unbiased question, a genuine interest in opinions:

Imagine that Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 was released exactly as is, but with reusable components for all Legacy aspects. The exact same experience, save for physical permanency. Perhaps a different title such as Pandemic: The Series, Season One.

Would people who love it still love it as much?

Would people who hate it still have anything to complain about?

Would there be a group of people starting threads about how this game would be much better if it involved forced permanency based on decisions?

Would people be homebrewing techniques to enforce permanency?

Again, these are honest questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I think people would like it almost as much. But I think the reviews and reaction would be worse because of expectations changing. A lot of reviews would be going "I can't see myself playing the campaign more than once, as now we know what's coming, it'll be really easy to game it".

The rest depends on how you implement it. If we're in full thought experiment territory, and so the method for recording various character and map changes is now reversible but no more fiddly, and somehow you're maintaining the fun of opening advent calendar doors and boxes then yes, it wouldn't be much different. In practice I think both of those would be hard to replicate while keeping the price of the game the same.

I don't think people would be homebrewing permanence, but I do think people would be going "well this was clearly designed as a Legacy game and they've hacked in the ability to reset it".

The people who hate the current system meanwhile, would probably be moaning about the lack of re-playability because of knowing all the twists and turns, and complaining that there's no randomization of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I beat my original list of 10 games for 2019 VGG challengeMicrobadge: Steam userMicrobadge: Good Old Games fanMicrobadge: PlayStation 4 fanMicrobadge: Nintendo Switch fan
I'm in favor of destroying all inferior games and their components. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Smart
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
BitJam wrote:

Why not even take it back and step? There's no need to even think that an app is required.
I'm adamant the game could have been designed and produced to be replayable. Instead of stickers on the board, whiteboard markers could have been used to mark necessary info on the board. The rulebook and other relevant places could have used sleeves for cards to slot into rather than being permanently stuck on, so at the end of the game, they could be removed to reset the game. This could probably be used on the board as well for that matter.
(note I haven't read the thread discussing this yet since I'm still in the middle of the campaign and trying to avoid spoilers.)

That they chose to make it in such a way that it encourages just one play through is what smacks of money grab for me, though I completely agree that you still get your money's worth from a full play through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
Microbadge: My GeekGold is for sale!Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: I adopted my dog(s) from a rescueMicrobadge: Pay it ForwardMicrobadge: I practice Random Acts of Kindness
Random note, when I played magic I hated chaos orbs and would gladly trade for them.

If Chaos Orb is on the battlefield, flip Chaos Orb onto the battlefield from a height of at least one foot. If Chaos Orb turns over completely at least once during the flip, destroy all nontoken permanents it touches. Then destroy Chaos Orb.

I ended up trading for a lot of them and ripping them up immediately after the trade.

Admitedly there's no proof about the next part was related to me, but eventually this card was created... Chaos Confetti;

Tear Chaos Confetti into pieces. Throw the pieces onto the playing aread from a distanced of at least five feet. Destroy each card in play that a piece touches. Remove the pieces from the game afterwards.

Now that was a good card, but you needed a ladder to play it effectively since dropping from height was dramatically more efficient than throwing it horizontally.

p.s. I hate the concept of destroying games in this legacy concept. It would definitely be just as possible to create something like legacy that was non-permanent from campaign to campaign. It is a money grab, but that's fine, I'm willing to still buy and play to see if it's fun enough to warrant the expenditure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "TAKE SIX MEAT DAMAGE, FROWNY EURODUDE!"Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fan Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Ohio UniversityMicrobadge: Suburbia fan
GrWr wrote:
Again, this is all only my opinion, but this is what has bothered me all along about Legacy games: it strikes me as at best, a fad, and at worst, a trend of disposibility as a way toward lazier game development and a way to gain more profit from consumers by selling them additional copies, without any added benefit to them (having to buy another copy vs. being able to replay the campaign with the same game).
The problem with this is successfully designing a quality legacy game is extremely difficult and takes a long time.

Here's another thing: Nobody is swindling consumers here. Everyone knows how many session they're going to get out of the game. They make that choice with that knowledge. How is this a money grab or in some way short-shrifting players? What if I want a game with a finite lifespan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Greatway Games podcast fanMicrobadge: Ding & Dent PodcastMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Board Game Blitz fanMicrobadge: Colorblind
leifsmart wrote:

I'm adamant the game could have been designed and produced to be replayable.
And I'm adamant that, if they did this, it would both be a fiddly mess and would take away from the gravitas of the decision-making.

I enjoy the permanence of my decisions. It doesn't strike me as a money grab at all - it strikes me as a gaming experience that would be fundamentally less fun if they modified it to cater to the loud minority who are whining about it on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Smart
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
eviljelloman wrote:
leifsmart wrote:

I'm adamant the game could have been designed and produced to be replayable.
And I'm adamant that, if they did this, it would both be a fiddly mess and would take away from the gravitas of the decision-making.

I enjoy the permanence of my decisions. It doesn't strike me as a money grab at all - it strikes me as a gaming experience that would be fundamentally less fun if they modified it to cater to the loud minority who are whining about it on the internet.
Could you cite a source that proves the people who want the game to be replayable beyond the end of the campaign are in the minority?

But yes, if you find sliding a piece of cardboard into a plastic sleeve to be a fiddling mess, then the designing the game to be replayable would probably destroy the gravitas of your decision making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Greatway Games podcast fanMicrobadge: Ding & Dent PodcastMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Board Game Blitz fanMicrobadge: Colorblind
leifsmart wrote:

Could you cite a source that proves the people who want the game to be replayable beyond the end of the campaign are in the minority?

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1539835/pandemic-legacy/gene...

Read any discussion, and it's abundantly clear. Or maybe look at the ratings for the game, which are overwhelmingly positive. If the permanence were really an issue, there wouldn't be so many perfect 10's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Roborally fanMicrobadge: Disc Golf fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: I like to beta test board gamesMicrobadge: Happily married for 30 years
Wow... in a fit of boredom, I swung by this game again, just to find this. You guys honestly needed a thread defending the whole legacy thing? Seriously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gr Wr
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
eviljelloman wrote:
leifsmart wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1539835/pandemic-legacy/gene...

Read any discussion, and it's abundantly clear. Or maybe look at the ratings for the game, which are overwhelmingly positive. If the permanence were really an issue, there wouldn't be so many perfect 10's.
People may love the game, but it doesn't prove that they love it because of the forced permanency. And contrary to the ardent defense of that aspect of the game, I feel reasonably confident that if the forced permanency aspect were absent from the design, there would be approximately just as much love for the game, and few, if any, players complaining about the lacking permanency and thinking up ways to add it to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |