Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I have been playing a lot of decks with Erestor recently, and I really can't think of another hero that has been such a game changer. He throws off the conventional cost balance between resources and cards, and also makes including single copies of key cards way more viable. I thought I would start this thread to talk about him some.

The elf himself:

First thing I'll say is that I think it is pretty mandatory to pair him with a spirit hero just for Will of the West, and most of the cards that support the Noldor trait are also Spirit based. So that part restricts him slightly, but there are plenty of good spirit hero options. You could try putting a Song of Travel on someone as well (Especially if you wanted to do some Love of Tales abuse ), but you might be waiting a few turns to find one, and be forced to discard all the lovely Spirit cards you draw in the meantime.

I've found that you don't always want more card draw with Erestor outside of Planning either, since you can't save your Allies/Attachments to play in the next round, and even some of your discard abilities may not be useful past the Quest phase. I would caution that if you have card draw even during Planning, that you include lots of cheap 0-1 cost cards in your deck. Otherwise your resources won't be able to keep up, and you are just racing faster towards having to play a Will of the West by regularly discarding a lot of cards you can't play.

There are several older cards that become way more useful with Erestor:

Protector of Lórien - I think this is an auto-include in any Erestor deck. It has always been good, but with Erestor, it is fantastic. It's pretty obvious why it is good with lots of card draw, but with Erestor's end of round discard, you really have nothing to lose by using it to discard any cards you can't play.

Ered Nimrais Prospector - Remember this guy? Me neither! I've found him to be very useful at letting you shuffle a key card back into your deck you couldn't play earlier, or even let you play the same card again without using a Will of the West. He's really like a far more flexible Erebor Hammersmith, and he works specifically with Erestor since it shows up 4 times faster if you just rely on the refresh phase card draw.

Good Meal - Since you will need a Spirit hero anyway, why not make it an excellent spirit hobbit (Merry or Frodo... or Fatty)? This card is basically like drawing 2 resources right out of your deck since there are lots of good expensive Spirit events to play, which brings us to...

Stand and Fight - With all that discarding going on, you might as well stuff your deck with some powerful allies to have waiting in your discard pile. Your hobbit can discard a couple Good Meals and play Stand and Fight to play a Boromir, Faramir, Gimli, Beorn, Gildor etc. for a huge discount. Neat!

And while there have been a lot of newer cards that support the Noldor discard archetype, I feel there are staple cards that are not very good in an Erestor deck:

Silver Harp - To me this is just too expensive for the seat of your pants thrill-ride that is an Erestor deck. Your resources become so much more valuable than your cards when you are drawing 4 every round, I find it super hard to justify playing this for 2. Especially since Spirit has very little resource acceleration.

A Test of Will - One of the reasons I like Erestor is that he shakes things up like crazy. So crazy that I would have a deck with Spirit but not 3 copies of A Test of Will. These get tricky to use since you can't hold onto them. Yes, you could play the aforementioned Silver Harp to hang onto A Test of Will round after round until the time is right, but to me that sounds like just making a great 1 cost card a cost 3 resources.

Core Gandalf - You probably should think twice before including Gandalf in your deck. Not only do you need to stockpile 5 resources on the off chance you draw him, you also need to make sure he will be useful that same turn. There is no guarantee that there will be an enemy that you will need to do 4 direct damage to, and drawing cards is not that great when you have to discard them at the end of the round. The threat reduction option isn't that useful either since you can be drawing copies of Elrond's Counsel non-stop throughout the adventure anyways, and those are free!

Anyone else been using him? Have any thoughts on good card combos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post! I honestly don't think Will of the West is mandatory, especially if you make a slightly larger deck. You get 10 cards on the first turn and 4 cards each additional turn, so it takes 11 turns to get through 50 cards (assuming no other draw/discard). How often do games even last 11 turns? Depending on your quest and number of players, it might not be an issue.

I haven't really tried him in a Noldor deck yet, but I've had a lot of success with him in a Gondor deck with Boromir and Imrahil. That deck has a lot of resource generation and cheap allies, so it benefits greatly from the card draw. The deck is basically every leadership Gondor ally, Envoys, Wardens, Mablung, and Gandalf. Then you can add Wealth of Gondor and Gaining Strength to give you more resources, Daeron's Runes, Very Good Tale, Steward, and Visionary Leadership. It's about 60 cards, so even with Daeron's Runes and a Very Good Tale it lasts about 10 turns, with my games typically lasting 8-12 turns. By the time you run out of cards, you'll probably have 20+ allies in play. The events along with discounted allies like Envoy and Citadel Custodian can let you play first turn Very Good Tales to get powerful allies like Faramir, Gandalf, or Denethor. Add in a Visionary Leadership and you can be questing for 20+ by turn 2 or 3. Chump blocking is easy because you are playing 2-3 allies per turn, and Imrahil's readying plus Boromir's boost give you plenty of attack power.

So yeah, I've had a lot of success with this deck. You may end up discarding half of your 10 cards on turn 1, but after that you should be able to play 2-4 a turn, especially if you get an early Steward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
I haven't really tried him in a Noldor deck yet, but I've had a lot of success with him in a Gondor deck with Boromir and Imrahil...
That's a neat idea I didn't think of, pairing him with lots of resource acceleration!

I also usually end up discarding most of my starting hand, but it is nice to be able to find one of those key cards to start with like Defender of Lorien.

In case anyone was curious, this is my Erestor Deck right now, which I keep at a lean 50 cards since it is designed to keep recycling the same copies of Good Meal and Stand and Fight as often as possible.

It's main weakness like a lot of low threat decks is that it can be a little slow before you can start taking out enemies, but you can get a lot of willpower out early and keep your threat low enough to avoid most enemies. Frodo can block some heavy attacks with Protector of Lorien if an enemy engages you or you just take the threat with his ability from an undefended attack. Hopefully you will survive long enough to get your Good Meals and Stand and Fight cards putting big allies into play.

This deck made me realize too how good Hobbit Ponies are, since you can decide during staging if you want to use Merry's ability or keep Frodo ready to block. Often you can get by without committing anyone to the quest and use the ponies to commit your little hobbits after all those nasty treachery cards get revealed that dunk on questing/exhausted characters. It's great too if you don't want to over-commit and accidentally advance to a more difficult quest stage.

"Hobbit Food Necromancy"

Heroes:
Erestor (Lore)
Frodo (Spirit)
Merry (Spirit)

Starting Threat: 23

Events (20):
3x Stand and Fight
3x Elrond's Council
3x Will of the West
3x The Galadhrim's Greeting
2x Dwarven Tomb
3x Daeron's Runes
3x Deep Knowledge

Attachments (14):
1x Light of Valinor
2x Fast Hitch
3x Protector of Lorien
2x Hobbit Pony
3x Good Meal
2x Song of Kings (for Steward of Gondor)
1x Steward of Gondor (put on a Hobbit for Stand and Fights)

Allies (16):
3x Ered Nimrais Prospector
2x Warden of Healing
1x Gildor Inglorion
3x Galadhrim Weaver
1x Arwen Undomiel
1x Faramir
1x Gimli
1x Legolas
1x Boromir
1x Farmer Maggot (Stand and Fight him in to nuke enemies in combat phase)
1x Beorn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a cool deck idea. I've never tried using Good Meal to pay for Stand and Fight. The only card that jumps out at me as out of place is Deep Knowledge. Why did you add that when you already have plenty of card draw and you are trying to keep your threat low?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
The main goal of the deck is to cycle through as quickly as possible to get to the Good Meals and Stand and Fights and other key attachments so I included as much free card draw as possible. Plus, most of the cards are so cheap, I don't usually have 3 cards to discard for Defender of Lorien every round unless I hold back.

The extra 2 threat barely makes a dent since even if I get just one Elrond's Council my threat is lowered by 3, if I get a fast hitch I can put it on Merry and start using his ability maybe every turn to reduce threat. Also, if I happen to draw a Good Meal and a Galadhrim's Greeting, I can play the Galadhrim's Greeting for only 1 resource and lower my threat by 6 (or my partner's threat, who may not be happy I keep playing doomed cards ).

So far it has been pretty easy to get threat down to single digits by the end of the quest, even while playing every Deep Knowledge I draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Card playerMicrobadge: Twitter user
Nice article. I teamed my Erestor with Celeborn and Eleanor and went the tricolor cheap elves route. I also included the Protector of Lorien after realizing how sick that could be. The Elven Jeweler as well, you'll almost always be able to play those out. Same with the Prospector. I had never touched those but they have been working perfect for me in here.

I didn't end up including it, but another cool call is the red Elf allies that you can discard a card to ready over and over to keep attacking.

I do agree with your assessment of the normal auto include Gandalf/Sneak Attacks. Just garbage in here really. Finding him with a Sneak Attack at the same time just isn't reliable and I like saving the Harp for other stuff like Test of Wills. I do run 3x of those counter to your argument but I play mainly 3 or 4 player so lots of Treachery cancel in multiple decks sometimes is a necessity. I'll try to use the Tests for anything semi-harmful and Harp it if there's nothing super important to keep. Sometimes I just discard it but I also run 3x the cheap Spirit Elf and discard stuff like Test of Will last so that she can shuffle it back into my deck.

I think Erestor's true home though is with Hirluin and Elrond for an Outlands horde deck. That seems like it could just crush everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
Nice post! I honestly don't think Will of the West is mandatory, especially if you make a slightly larger deck. You get 10 cards on the first turn and 4 cards each additional turn, so it takes 11 turns to get through 50 cards (assuming no other draw/discard). How often do games even last 11 turns? Depending on your quest and number of players, it might not be an issue.
the fact that it's still 11 turns leads me to believe that this will not be an issue.

and yeah, Erestor is insanely good. i saw someone recently saying that he's only good if you build a deck around him, but aside from the odd Will of the West (in which case, i'd say one max and even then, not necessarily necessary), you don't need to build for him. he's just balls-to-the-wall aggro. i can't wait to try this guy out (still waiting on the pack)

some other useful cards:
those tomes that play events from discard (may get expensive, as i think i'll be playing multisphere with this guy, but oh well)
dwarven tomb
Caldara (seriously, why isn't Erestor Spirit?!)
any resource acceleration so you can start spitting out every card every turn

i think cards that don't go well with him are cards that sit in your hand waiting for the right moment, like Hasty Stroke, A Test of Will, Feint, Secret Paths, and Radaghast's Cunning

instead, fast, cheap cards like Boots from Erebor, Cram, Miruvor, Ancient Mathom, and Ranger Provisions or cards that can be 'cast' before needing to use them like Lembas, Athelas, the tomes, ranger traps, and Good Meal

can't wait to start playing around with decks for this guy. he seems like a monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Card playerMicrobadge: Twitter user
The counter argument for a card like Test of Will is that even though you have to finagle ways to keep it in hand (Harp) or ways to re-grab it later (Dwarven Tomb/Galadhrim Weaver/etc) you get to them SUPER fast with so much drawing. I like that extra reliability.

Oh and I forgot to mention maybe my favorite card to include:

Legacy of Numenor!

I threw 2x copies in and just usually mulligan if it's not in my 1st hand unless that hand is spectacular. Drawing 10 cards turn 1 usually hits it and then every Hero at the table starts the game with 2 resources for SUPER accelerated starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I like the idea to include Legacy of Numenor. I could almost see modifying the deck I posted above to put in Samwise instead of Frodo or Merry and running a little more Leadership... Interesting!

Also, I definitely would still include A Test of Will if I was playing with 3+ players. With all those encounter cards, one would probably have some nasty When Revealed effects.

If I was going to make a gross Outlands deck with Erestor I think I would use Grima as my 3rd hero, and go heavy doomed with Keys of Orthanc on Hirluin. Round one, would try to get the Keys, Legacy of Numenors, and Deep Knowledges and just really abuse my threat and try to sprint through the quest playing 3+ allies every turn before I threated out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
I like the idea to include Legacy of Numenor. I could almost see modifying the deck I posted above to put in Samwise instead of Frodo or Merry and running a little more Leadership... Interesting!

Also, I definitely would still include A Test of Will if I was playing with 3+ players. With all those encounter cards, one would probably have some nasty When Revealed effects.

If I was going to make a gross Outlands deck with Erestor I think I would use Grima as my 3rd hero, and go heavy doomed with Keys of Orthanc on Hirluin. Round one, would try to get the Keys, Legacy of Numenors, and Deep Knowledges and just really abuse my threat and try to sprint through the quest playing 3+ allies every turn before I threated out.
outlands Erestor with Hirluin and Loragorn with lots of doomed effects (like Legacy of Numenor) sound pretty gross haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lapham
United States
Saugatuck
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Erestor with Elrond, Galadriel, and Outlands allies. The accelerated card draw means that you can get out multiple copies of key Outlands allies quickly and Galdriel means that they can quest that first round without exhausting. I include Cloak of Lorien, Protector of Lorien and Burning Brand to make Elrond a tough defender. I also include Light of Valinor and Miruvor for readying, usually recycling Miruvor after using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls