Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been having a lot of fun with this game since I got it about 2-3 weeks ago and thought I would try my hand at a full campaign AAR.

My strategy in the opening is to assign as many activations to XLVII Corps and 6th Panzer Army as possible. XLVII Corps are the formation who make the initial push towards Bastogne and as far as I can see, the vast majority of VPs gained usually come from this formation. 6th Panzer Army containing two SS Panzer Divisions usually cause me a lot of trouble and I don't usually get much of a breakthrough with them. I'll be ignoring the units on the south flank as much as possible until Dec 20th when the formation boundaries dissolve and some help can be sent to them. Likewise on the north flank LXVII Corps won't be asked to do much other than being an anvil for the SS Divisions to pound down on once they achieve a breakthrough.

Dec 16th
========

In the opening impulse, I decided to go for 3 medium attacks rather than 2 bigger ones.

XLVII Panzer Corps opened up the game and used 6 points to attack the VIII Corps infantry facing it at 4:1. The infantry was retreated 2 hexes, dispersed and lost one step.

The 1SS Panzer Corps attacked the edge of the V Corps line with 3 more points and no support. It is actually a XVIII reconnaissance unit holding the position We had a 4:1 attack here (IIRC) but the defenders held. This brought the card values used thus far, up to 9 for the impulse and I could launch one more attack. I like to try to do this to minimize the number of Allied card plays. I try to play cards with a value of the German command level minus 1, and then play a large attack to finally go over the limit.

Finally, LVIII Panzer Corps launched a 6 point attack against another VIII corps infantry guarding an intact bridge. Likewise this was a 4:1 attack with good support and the defenders retreated 2 hexes and were dispersed.

Allies fail to bring reinforcements on board. Engineers construct an unimportant roadblock near Bastogne.

XLVII Panzer Corps activated for the second time for 4 points in the turn and crossed the Moselle (without an intact bridge) pursuing the defenders which had retreated. Because they were dispersed, they exerted no ZOC and it was possible for the Germans to flow around and surround them before the battle. They were eliminated and the way to Bastogne was opened, but traffic jams were slowing the breakout.

To end the impulse, neighboring LVIII Panzer Corps activated for its second time and executed a similar maneuver on its defender. Advance after combat brought the leading tanks adjacent to St Vith, but a roadblock appeared. Two VIII Corps infantry units have now been destroyed. Germans gain their first VP. Wonderful! Lots of attacks and not one draw for undetected defenders or tactics yet.

Allies deploy a VIII Corps armor unit near Bastogne.

The 1st SS Panzer Corps activates for its 2nd time this turn and essentially repeats the attack it attempted on the opening impulse. This time the defending recon unit is destroyed in the forest near Bullignen. 6th army has to win one more battle, to open a hole in the line.

XLVII Panzer Corp, approaching Bastogne rapidly, activates for the 3rd time. No combat this time, just a rapid forward movement with the entire corps.

Allies Raise the Alarm and this cancels some of the better combat result chits until the end of the day, but it's a little too late. I've already completed most of my attacks and I've won 3 of 4 convincingly.

For the last action of the turn, 1st SS Panzer activates for the 3rd time and performs a very strong attack on the unit defending the southern flank of V Corps line. An undetected defender appears and changes the odds somewhat, but they push through anyways. The defense holds but loses a step. The attackers also take a step loss and disperse to prevent further loss. Dispersing your attackers at the beginning of a turn is often not a good idea, but doing it right at the end, for a combat in which you can't advance anyways is a good way to preserve your attackers.

To end the turn, the Allies deploy infantry into St Vith.

All in all, a very encouraging start. I've run this opening a few times now and the results seem to be fairly repeatable. 3 Allied units destroyed. St Vith should fall and my attackers should have Bastogne under severe threat next turn. And with a bit of luck 6th Panzer Army in the north can have a bit of success as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Melchiori
Italy
Vigarano Pieve
FE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that 1SS and XLVII are the key corps. XLVII directed to Bastogne and more on the west; 1SS must attack the southest V corps unit and then move other 1SS units on rear of allied V corps putting them out of supply. If allied has some time he can reinforce V corps with many reinforcements arriving in 2 rounds since start. At the same time XLVII must expand to west to 'disperse' 82th and 101th allied reinforcements. Usually i use cards of 7army corps as combat tactics trying to attack XII allied corps when line boundaries are open and XLVII tanks can go to the south and cut line of supply of allied units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty much the plan, and I did in fact just use a big 7th Army card for a Battle Co-Ordination tactic, so we think alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dec 17th
==========

Allies now at Command Level 4 down from 5. Still plenty of scope to do lots of stuff between each Allied card draw.

1st Impulse -

Bit of a weak hand to start. We play XLVII for 1 point and move Panzer Lehr towards Bastogne. No combat.

Next is LVIII which moves to attack St Vith for 4 points which puts us over the limit. Odds are 4:1 with 7 pulls and the result is 4D / 1A. Defender retreats 2 is dispersed and loses a step. St Vith captured and we have 3VPs.

Allies pull a XII corps card, but we are not threatening anything in that small area to the south yet, so they expedite their reserves and don't place anything. Perfect.

2nd Impulse -

XLVII for 3 points. We move adjacent to Bastogne to discover the town empty! The entire corps attacks the mechanized 9A unit defending the outskirts. Odds are 6:1 with 7 pulls. Result is D2 / A1. Defender retreats south of the town, but blocks our entry with his ZOC.

Next up is 1st SS Pz for 3 points attacking to the east of Bullingen and the fuel depot. Not much movement here. We're just pounding the front line. Attack is 5:1 with 8 pulls. Result is D3 / A2. Defenders retreat to Bullingen and lose a step.

Allies 2nd card is XII Corps again. It turns into an artillery barrage which forces me to discard a 1st SS division card. Still no new forces placed on board.

Impulse 3 -

LVIII activates for the 2nd time and 116th Pz Division moves away from St Vith and towards Vielsam where a roadblock is established. Units also approach Trois Ponts and begin an encirclement of the dispersed defender which retreated from St Vith.

LXVI activates for the first time in the game and repositions some units and attacks one of the 2 defenders lingering near the West Wall. Attack is 6:1 with 5 pulls. Allies pull the correct formation on their card, but position is in danger of surround, so no unexpected defenders appear. Result is D2 / A1 and defenders retreat 1.

We use a Bridge Engineers event to fix a demolished bridge that XLVII corps had to bypass on their way to Bastogne.

Allies draw a 5 Corps card. Amazing! All they have been getting so far are the smaller formations off on the shoulders. One infantry unit deploys to Stavelot.

Impulse 4 -

XLVII for 3 points and activating for the 3rd time this turn. Bastogne falls and we get fuel reserves. Now up at 8 VPs. Pz Lehr recons and tries to find an intact bridge for the westward move. First attempt finds a blown bridge but 2nd try is successful and 3 armor units speed towards La Roche where a roadblock is thrown up.

Other elements of corps try to finish the last defenders near Bastogne. Attack is 9:1 with 6 pulls. Result is D1 and nothing happens.

And last activation of the turn is for 1st SS Pz Division activating for 2nd time this turn. A win in the previous battle opened up a bit of a crack in the lines letting me put some more force in the front lines. Now we try to blast a hole.

Attack on Bullingen. 5:1 with 7 pulls. Result is a D2 / A1. Defenders retreat again to Elsenburg. The rumored fuel depot in Bullingen has been moved. Peiper and his accompanying infantry now have a hole in the line to move through.

Last attack of turn at Rocherath at 4:1 9 pulls. Result is D6 / A2. Defenders retreat 2, disperse and lose 3 of 4 steps. 1 more VP for casualties brings my total to 9.

Allies last play of the turn is XVIII Airborne. 3 mechanized units are deployed in a rush to La Roche to begin forming a blocking line in front of XLVII.

Fun turn. Battle is going very well so far. 6 of 7 battles this turn obtained a favorable result - the one that didn't was at 9:1! I have 3 corps ready to exploit next turn and a few US units should start running out of supply as well. I expect lots of moving early. The 101st Airborne starts arriving next turn and they can still cause some problems near St Hubert even though it's too late for Bastogne. I see two more bridges west of Bastogne that I really would like to get my hands on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Vermeersch
Belgium
Haasrode
flag msg tools
Dear Peter,

Nice AAR.

Did you activate XLVII and LVII corps on 3 and 2 consecutive pulses on 16 th Dec, respectively?
I think you can only activate on alternating pulses, unfortunately increasing the number of allied cards for allied reaction to your advance.

Keep on writing.

Pieter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you see a consecutive activation? I think I always alternated.

...and rereading that rule again, it looks like I have been playing it completely wrong. I was simply making sure that I wasn't activating the same formation on 2 cards in a row during a turn. But that's not correct. It's much more restrictive than that.

Wow. Sorry guys. I'll have to start this game over.

================

Just went through the first turn to find my mistakes. It looks like, by pure luck, I never activated the same formation twice on the same impulse, but I definitely did activate formations that acted in the previous impulse.

1st Impulse: XLVII, 1st SS, LVIII
2nd Impulse: XLVII, LVIII
3rd Impulse: 1st SS, XLVII
4th Impulse: 1st SS

I've highlighted the illegal moves. Hope this helps others avoid the same error. It certainly has a major impact on strategy and prevents me from focusing on XLVII and 1st SS as I have been. It also means I have to keep track of things much more carefully. Simply putting a marker on the last formation activated isn't good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my recent game I went 12 cards without picking a XLVII over two turns, then like #5 buses they all came at once but by then the AI had least got a reasonable defense in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've restarted and am 2 turns in playing it properly. My, that certainly has ramped up the difficulty. It's a very interesting situation
o XLVII has still broken out and is not far from Bastogne, but one almost surrounded unit is still blocking.
o Eisenhower has hesitated and the 101st is delyaed.
o 1st SS is on the verge of breaking out but are being blocked by one unit in a forest
o LVIII was slowed on moving to St Vith by a too heavily defended bridge and an undetected defender at the next bridge, who will start going out of supply next turn.
Going from 3 activations a turn for the big formations to 2 activations a turn has slowed things down just enough to turn it into a real fight.

I'm going to play a bit further to see if the game evolves in an interesting manner and will then start the new AAR here. I don't see the point of reporting it if it turns into a disastrous defeat. Unless you guys want to see that too?!?!

====================

Good news - after 3 turns, it's been a very good game. I'll start posting the new session reports tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now, the restart.

Dec 16th
========

Axis - Impulse 1

XLVII for 7 points attacks defender to the east of Clervaux.
3:1 - 7 pulls
A2/D3
Defender retreats to Clervaux and loses step

LVIII for 8 points attacks hex 1406
4:1 - 7 pulls
A2/D6
Defender destroyed
Roadblock after advance prevents quick capture of bridge.

Allies Impulse 1

As if on cue, VIII corps activates and places armor unit in roadblock.

Axis Impulse 2

1st SS for 4 points
attacks hex 0803
8:1 10 pulls
D1 - defender loses IP

Commandos for 1 point. Allies skip impulse.

Axis Impulse 3

LVIII for 5 points
attacks 1205
D1 - defender loses IP
These guys are having big trouble getting across the river quickly.

Allies Impulse 2

XVIII Airborne expedites reserves

Axis Impulse 4

1st SS Pz for 3 points
Repeats attack on 0803
9:1 - 11 pulls
D6 / A3
Defender destroyed - VPs at 1

Bridge engineers repair bridge near Clervaux in XLVII zone for 3 points.

Allies Impulse 3

9A activates and builds IP south of St Vith.

Axis Impulse 5

XLVII - 2 Pz Div for 3 points
Attacks Clervaux
4:1 4 pulls
D2 - defender retreats

LXXXV - for 2 points
movement only.

Allies Impulse 4

7A deploys NE and SW of St Vith.

Well, things went a lot better when I cheated. XLVII is the bright light in an otherwise bad turn. Only 4/6 attacks succeeded - LVIII and 1st SS Pz are still very tightly bottled up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dec 17th

Axis Impulse 1
LXVI for 3 points
Attacks 1205
7:1 - 7 pulls
Undetected defender placed; odds go to 2:1
D2/A2 - defender loses step and retreats

XLVII for 3 points
breakout and attack surrounded inf w of Clervaux
8:1 - 8 pulls
forest eliminates 4D results!
D3/A2
defender destroyed

Allied Impulse 1

XII expedites reserves even though existing reserves available. XII sector is quiet.

Axis Impulse 2

LVIII for 3 points
attack 1205 again with LXVI reinforcing
3:1 - 7 pulls
D1 - defender loses IP and holds

1st SS Pz for 3 points
attack 0704
13:1 11 pulls
D4 on first 2 pulls and attack is stopped early
Defender loses step and retreats to Rocherath

Allied Impulse 2

Roadblock placed on road to Bastogne

Axis Impulse 3

Eisenhower hesitates and delays the 101st Airborne for 2 points.

XLVII for 3 points
Roadblock check places 9A unit.
It's immediately attacked.
6:1 - 8 pulls
Screen reduces to 6 pulls
A1

Allied Impulse 3
Green infantry deployed to St Vith

Axis Impulse 4

1st SS for 5 points
Attack 0906
7:1 - 8 pulls
Undetected defender match drawn but no reserves available. Good sign!
D1/A1
Defender loses IP

Allied Impulse 4

V corps in north activates and builds 3 IPs. Reserves available but no action here yet.

Axis Impulse 5

LVIII for 5 points
attack 1106
2:1 - 7 pulls
D1/A2
Defender takes step loss and holds.
Attacker takes step loss and disperses.

Allied Impulse 5

Mech unit blocking road to Bastogne builds IP.

Axis Impulse 6

LXXXV - 2 points
Attack Vianden
2:1 - 5 pulls
D1 and attack stopped early.
Defender holds and loses step.

Allied Impulse 6

New roadblock built NE of Bastogne

Tough turn. 5 of 7 attacks were unsuccessful. Move on Bastogne is going well but we are being held up badly everywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Perry
France
Lacour
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More like one of my efforts. The going can be tough, though i like the difficult scenario, even when it leads to a crushing defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dec 18th

Axis Impulse 1
1st SS for 7 points
Undefended Bullingen captured - no fuel depot.
Attack Elsenburg
Allies reinforce; odds changed to 1:1
A1/D1 attack stopped
Attack 0905
5:1 - 8 pulls
D2/A2
Defender holds and loses step

Allies Impulse 1
V corps deploys reserves. Elsenburg now has 9 defense and 6 steps.
Other unit placed near Malmedy.

Axis Impulse 2
XLVII for 3 points
Unoccupied Wiltz captured
attack near Bastogne
4: 1 - 8 pulls
Allies get a match for undetected defender but no unit available due to Eisenhower's hesitation yesterday.
D2/A1
Defender retreats 1

LXXXV for 2 points
Attack Vanden
5:1 - 4 pulls
reduced to 2 pulls for Screen
D2: A1
Defender retreats and now exerts no ZOC
[Note: I goofed on the image; should be a 2nd red explosion on Vanden, near the other battle.]

Allies Impulse 2
Eisenhower reconsiders and now expedites 101st Airborne

Axis Impulse 3
1st SS for 3 points
Attack 0906 again
8:1 - 7 pulls
82nd airborne add a defender odds change to 4:1
No effect

LXVII for 2 points
Attack south of Monschau
2:1 - 4 pulls
No effect

Allies Impulse 3
101st Airborne reserves deployed in a ring south of Wiltz. One regiment to north of Bastogne guarding bridge at Houfalize.

Axis Impulse 4
XLVII for 4 points
Attack 1713
6:1 - 8 pulls
A2/D4
Defender destroyed. VPs up to 2.
Pz Lehr is now adjacent to Bastogne with no defender or roadblock.

Allies Impulse 4
502 Reg of 101st Airborne redeploys from Wiltz to NE of Bastogne.

Axis Impulse 5
LVIII for 8 points
Attack 1106 which is running low on supplies. These units still have ZOC and are blocking move to St Vith.
3:1 - 10 pulls
D2/A1
Defender destroyed. Advance adjacent to St Vith.

Allies Impulse 5
V Corps
Units if 9th Div move up from Malmedy to SE of Elsenburg.

Axis Impulse 6
XLVII for 1 point
26th VG Division advances into Bastogne.
VPs up to 7.
Fuel captured.

LXXXV - 3 points
Advance into Diekirch.
Attack 2108
5:1 - 4 pulls
A2/D2
Defender destroyed.
Attacker takes step loss and disperses.

Allies Impulse 6
And, right on cue, XII Corps.
Deploys reserves in area just attacked. Huge 10A stack blocking moves south. Rest of 4th Division goes to Ecternach in south and are ready to start attacking.

Things are going well. Any turn in which you take Bastogne is a good one. 5/9 attacks succeeded. All of the attacks in the 1st SS area failed and all attacks to the south got a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dec 19th

Axis Impulse 1
LXVII for 1 point - place 3PG reserves
1st SS for 1 point - place 2nd and 9th SS Pz reserves

LVIII for 4 points
attack St. Vith
3:1 - 6 pulls
A3 - attacker takes 1 step and disperses

Allies Impulse 1
XVIII Airborne deploys reserves
7 units in depth in 1st SS region

Axis Impulse 2

XLVII - 5 points
Pz Lehr gains bridge west of Bastogne
Units approach St Hubert
attack 5:1 - 6 pulls
D4 - defender destroyed - VPs up to 8
2nd Pz gains another bridge near Bastogne

Allies Impulse 2
Engineers build roadblock at St Hubert

Axis Impulse 3
LXVII for 7 points
attack 0405
D6/A3
Defender destroyed
Attacker takes 3 steps damage and advances. Monschau almost surrounded. Two large stacks are now out of supply.

Allies Impulse 3
XVIII airborne activates
Out of supply unit moves and enters West Wall hex. VPs down to 3.
Stack of 82nd AB and 7A withdraw from good defensive positions in forest, moving towards Elsenburg. 3 IPs built.

Axis Impulse 4
LVIII - 2 points
undisperse units near St Vith
XLVII - 3 points
2nd Pz is adjacent to La Roche
Pz Lehr is adjacent to St Hubert
3 roadblocks all around leading elements

Allies Impulse 4
V corps deploys 2 units around Elsenburg. Allies have no more reserves.

Axis Impulse 5
II SS Pz for 6 points
Attack 0505
6:1 - 7 pulls
D3/A1
Defender retreats 1 and takes a step loss

Allies Impulse 5
Units just retreated build an IP

Axis Impulse 6
LXXXV - 2 points
Reposition
XLVII - 3 points
All 3 roadblocks activate and 10A units appear in St Hubert line blocking progress almost completely. No reserves were available to defend La Roche.
Undefended La Roche taken and VPs up to 5.
One Pz Lehr unit retreats one hex to stay in supply.
Attack 1417 near La Roche
A1 - attack stopped.

Allies Impulse 6
XII Corps activates
10A attacks Pz Lehr near La Roche
A1/D3
German unit destroyed
4 Inf attacks LXXX across river into West Wall
1:1 - 5 pulls
A2 / D1
attacker takes 2 steps ; Germans take 1 step

And next is the German's dream turn! No more roadblocks!
We also have to start taking VP checks. I need 11 to keep playing and I currently have 5. The West Wall incursion was a bit of a pain. I was hoping to let that unit just wither without doing anything. Now I have to expend effort early in the turn to destroy him and that gets me back to 10. It shouldn't be too much a problem to get 1 more somewhere.

Looks like XLVII will have to try moving north since the west is blocked. I prefer moving west and staying in 4th Army's deployment area because they have far less reinforcements coming in.

Elsenburg is turning into a real nice slog with huge stacks everywhere. My approach there is to do a nice patient envelopment by turning the right flank, but it might take quite a while to pull off. Now that 2nd SS Pz is in play, parts of 1st SS Pz can start looking for ways to flow through the line a bit to the south.

3 of 5 attacks successful this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just going to fast forward a bit. My actual game is so far ahead of the session report, I know I'll never finish this report unless I move ahead a bit. Next 2 days will be bulletin style...

Dec 20

LXVI attacks isolated unit in Westwall hex. Defender destroyed. VPs to 10.
Attack Monscahu failed.
Allies first attack. 101 AB near Ettelbruck in south, German armor unit destroyed.
Attack St Vith failed.
Isolated Allied defender destroyed by 1st SS. VPs to 11.
Attack near St Vith. Allies rereat. LVIII unit destroyed. St Vith surrounded.
XLVII unit 3 hexes from Meuse! Ouffet undefended.
Attack at St Hubert. St Huber falls. VPs to 13.
3A deploys around Ouffet. Supply of lead XLVII unit is cut and unit surrounded.
Attack Monschau. Monschau falls. VPs to 15.
Attack St Vith. St Vith falls. Defender destroyed. VPs to 18.
2nd SS attack Rocherath . Defender destroyed. VPs to 19.
3A attacks XLVII near Ouffet. Defender destroyed.

Attempts to reach Meuse on north/south axis failed. Too many reinfocements in 1st Army zone. We'll now shift to only pushing west again.
Progress finally starting to be made in the north.
Victory point check passed witjout problems. Needed 11; have 19.

Dec 21

1st SS failed attack on Vielsam. Pieper down to last step.
Allies large attack Bullingen from Elsenburg. A3/D4. Bullingen unoccupied.
Allied airpower starting to have an effect.
LXXXV unsuccesful attack on Ettelbruck.
XLVII is starting to have to think defensively and protect supply lines.
XLVII - Fuhr BG advances to within 5 hexes of Meuse.
Allies 3A retake La Roche. VPs down to 17.
Passed the VP check again. Needed 11. Still have 17. Getting supplied unit west of Meuse is starting to look impossible. I can get Fuhr BG in, but the supply line is a razor thin needle and dependent on 2 bridges I haven't examined yet. We may have to give up on those 10 points now, and just focus on getting the reserve released, which doesn't require supply - we just need to get a unit adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dec 22

Allies draw airpower and Germans lose very important 1 SS Pz card and the first impulse.
Peiper's stack is low on supplies.
Allies have 2 stacks low on supplies and 1 stack out.
LXVII - 3PG. 2 armored units in north are out of fuel. We don't use our 1 fuel counter to save them.

Allies Impulse 1
Airpower resupplies 9A in Beaufort.
2nd draw due to the No Command
XVIII Airborne.
7 units of 82nd AB and 7A activate. Major offensive near St Vith.
Attack 1109
3:1 8 pulls
Defender destroyed after 3 pulls. 2 units.

Axis Impulse 1
LIII corps for 3 points
Fuhr Gren strat move towards Bastogne
One unit 15 PG to Martelange. Stopped by a blown bridge.
The other moves SW to Neuchateau.
Plan is to move LIII west as quickly as possible to help XLVII establish viable supply line. But they are still far, far away from the front.

Allies Impulse 2
XVIII Airborne again
3 units of 30 Inf activate in Malmedy and advance to Bullingen.

Axis Impulse 2
XLVII - 3 points
Critical battle at Rochefort. Possibly my last chance at the 10VP bonus for getting supplied unit west of Meuse.
3:1 - 6 pulls
A2/D1
Attacker loses 2 steps. 1 Pz Lehr unit destroyed.
Focus now is to get the OKW reserves released.

Allies Impulse 3
XVIII Airborne for the 3rd time in a row.
Expedite the 75th Inf division.

Axis Impulse 3
2nd SS Pz - 6 points
Attack 0506 NE of Elsenburg
6:1 - 11 pulls
D8 !!!!
2 defending units destroyed. VPs up to 18.
Position occupied. We are slowly rolling up the flank here.

Allies Impulse 4
Big XXX Corps card!
Lucky I attacked Rochefort with Fuhr BG instead of advancing them. XXX Corps is not released yet, so wasted. Event is Airpower again and I lose a nice LIII card, postponing their move west. My hand size is now reduced

Axis Impulse 4
XLVII - 1 point
Fuhr BG unit takes Celles. Recons Dinant. There is no roadblock. He is now adjacent to the Meuse but will be out of supply next turn.
LXVII - 3 points
Attack Elsenburg
5:1 - 13 pulls
D9 / A3
3 defending units destroyed. VPs up to 19.
ATtacker takes 3 step losses.
Elsenburg finally captured. VPs up to 21.
Allied line in the north is fading fast.

Allies Impulse 5
III Corps - 26th Inf and 4A enter in the south in a long line, further putting pressure on XLVIIs supply line and threatening Bastogne.

Axis Impulse 5
1st SS Pz - 8 points
Large Peiper stack is OOS near Houfalize. We will try to save them.
Attack Houfalize
4:1 - 4 pulls
D3/A3
Defender retreat 2 and disperse.
Attacker takes a step and disperses. 1 armored unit destroyed.

Still one more chance to save the remnants
Attack 1210
7A and 82nd AB reinforce. Odds change to 3:4
D2/A2
Defenders retreat 2 and disperse.
Attackers take a step and disperse.
Supply path to Peiper has been reopened.

Allies Impulse 6
VIII Corps - 4 units activate; 2 of which are cut-off.
One cut-off unit retreats from vicinity of Westwall to more secure position...and cuts the supply to Peiper again.

Hitler will release the OKW reserves.

Fun turn. I needed 15 VP to pass the check and currently have 21. For the next turn I will need 20, so it should be a very close run thing.
Starting to feel that XLVII will not be able to make the Meuse while supplied. There are 2 blown bridges down there that are making things very difficult. My best bet now will probably be LXVII and 2nd SS Panzer which don't have much opposition on the right, but I just know that the AI will find something to move there within the first 2 cards, just like it always does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dec 23

Just making a small correction. In the last turn a drew the big XXX Corps card and didn't deploy because I didn't have anyone adjacent to the Meuse at that point. That was a mistake - they should have been deployed; they just wouldn't activate yet. I placed them on map in their default locations, guarding the Meuse. The only impact on play was that the Airpower I inflicted on myself late last turn should not have happened.

Allies get Airpower again and will go first. This seems to be a pattern at this stage of the game. I lose a XLVII - 3 points card - those guys are pretty much burnt out by now anyways. There are two nice units still left at the tip of the spear, but they are in low supply this turn and I don't see much hope of saving them.
2 Allied units are OOS; 1 is in Low Supply
1 Axis unit is OOS; 5 are in Low Supply

Allies Impulse 1
V Corps
2nd and 99 Divisions are totally destroyed.
The event is Tank Battalion, but I don't have any German units eligible to take a step loss from this, so nothing happens. Lucky break!

Axis Impulse 1
II SS Pz for 3 points
Attack hex 0707 SW of Elsenburg, trying to squeeze that pocket forming.
D3/A2
Defender loses 2 steps and retreats
Attacker loses 2 steps and advances.
It's tough to attack without getting losses these days due to the Allied airpower.

Allies Impulse 2
XVIII Airborne
Deploys 75 Inf Division, 3 units, to the NW of Malmedy.
This system just plugs breakthroughs so quickly most of the time.

Axis Impulse 2
The OKW Reserves, 8 units, are deployed near Bastogne. I was hoping to use these guys to push XLVII through to the Meuse, but it looks likes defense is the better option.

Allies Impulse 3
XVIII Airborne again.
30th and 75th Inf divisions activate.
The 75th moves adjacent to the lead unit in 2nd SS Pz.

Axis Impulse 3
LXXXV for 2 points
Attack Ettelbruck
4:1 - 5 pulls
A3/D2
Defender retreat
Ettelbruck captured. VPs up to 23.

Allies Impulse 4
XII Corps
1 unit of 5th Inf Division deployed near Arlon.

Axis Impulse 4
2nd SS Pz - 5 points
Attack the pocket near Elsenburg again
A2/D2
Defender retreats 2 and disperses
Attackers take 2 losses and advance.
3 units of the 30th Inf Division are surrounded.

Allies Impulse 5
XII Corps again
6 units of the 4 Inf and 10th Armored activate
Attack St Hubert
A1 - attack breaks off after 1 pull

attack 2303 on the West Wall
D1
defender retreats
Westwall captured and VPs down to 18.
I need 20 at the end of the turn to keep playing.

Axis Impulse 5
LXXX - counterattack at Westwall
D3
Defeder retreats 2, disperses and takes a step loss
Westwall recaptured and VPs back at 23.

Allies Impulse 6
VII Corps
2nd Armored Division deployed in attack formation near La Roche.

Axis Impulse 6
1st SS for 8 points
Most of these guys are OOS or Low Supply near ST Vith. I'll try to save a few of them.
Attack 1109 - out of supply units
1:1 - 4 pulls
D2
Defender retreats and loses step

Attack 0806 - the surrounded 30th Inf Div
4:1 - 13 pulls
D5/A5 !!!
Defender retreats 1 and loses 4 steps
One unit destroyed
Attackers take 5 steps and advance
4 units destroyed

I'm going aggressively after casualty VP at this point. Those points are permanent, in contrast to VP for locations. I was hoping to get a few more US counters out of the game here, but it might happen next turn. There's a large mass of 1 step infantry units there that probably don't have too much fight left in them.
Taking the 5 steps on my guys rather than taking 3 and dispersing was a tough decision. I was hoping for one more attack in this area this turn.

Allies Impulse 7
Airpower - OOS US units resupplied
Really, really tough to get the US units all the way to Isolated. Might not be worth pursuing at all.
2nd draw - XVIII AB for the 3rd time
7th Armored and 82nd Airborne, 7 units activate
Attack lead 2nd SS Pz units
2:1 - 6 pulls
Germans reinforce and odds change to 1:2
A2 - attack breaks off after 2 draws.
Attacker takes 2 steps

Attack 1410
D3
Defender retreats 1 and loses step

Axis Impulse 7
LXVII - 2 points
Attack 0311
5:1 - 2 pulls
A1/D2
Defenders retreat 2 and disperse.
Attackers take 1 step and advance to within 3 hexes of Verviers but they are at the limit of the supply network. There are no E/W roads heading up this part of the map.

Allies Impulse 8
Airpower again
I lose a LIII corps card. These guys haven't done much since getting deployed.
2nd draw - VII Corps
2nd Armored, 3rd Armored, 84th Inf and recon all activate; 7 units.
Attack 1616
3:1 9 pulls
A1/D2
Defender retreats 1.
US has a bridgehead near Bastogne

Attack 1411 - OOS Peiper group
2:1 - 8 pulls
D3
Defender destroyed

Axis Impulse 8
OKW - 1 point
17 PG makes flanking move, preparing for attack next turn
XLVII - 1 point
I move a single unit in LVIII corps to a defensive position

Allies Impulse 9
VII Corps again
10 units activate
Attack 1716near Bastogne
6:1 - 10 pulls
D5
Defenders destroyed

Attack 1309 crossroads near St Vith
2:1 - 6 pulls
A2
Attackers take 2 steps

That was a long, long turn! Germans can control the tempo of the game a little and can stop the Allies from getting so many impulses, but my problem now is that I don't have enough VPs to keep the game going very much longer, so I still need to try and draw my hand out a bit and get things done. I have 23 VPs and survived the VP check of 20 at the end of this turn. At the end of next turn, I need to be at 25.

I'm thinking that I need to defend Bastogne at all costs and pick up some casualty VPs. There are lots of single step units in contact with my guys that are waiting to be picked off before they can get replacements. But I'm taking lots of casualties every time I attack.

I also have a chance at taking Arlon or Verviers each of which is worth 5 VPs. They're both long shots though and Verviers would require me to put a lot of LXVII units in low supply next turn. What makes it somewhat appealing though is that there are almost no reinforcements left that will come in on the North half of the board for the next 2 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls