Subject: Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign ships? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gaming is going on in here!Microbadge: Linux userMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Handyman
Hi There, This game looked so cool when it came out but as a solo gamer I thought, why bother?, and forgot about it.
So.... now I see sessions of this amazing solo friendly campaign posted and want to dive in. The booklet isn't very specific, and I'm not familiar with the game system itself, so I turn to my fellow gamers for advice on what I need to ask, beg, plead, possibly bribe Santa to get me.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
Microbadge: Runebound (3rd Edition) fanMicrobadge: Ice hockey playerMicrobadge: Runebound fanMicrobadge: In-N-Out fanMicrobadge: Runebound fan
If you aren't opposed to using proxy upgrade cards and also ships, I'd say the minimum for a solo x-wing:
1 core set (1 x-wing, 2 TIEs, cards/templates/dice/etc.)
1 Tie Interceptor
1 Tie advanced/bomber/phantom/defender (to proxy for whatever)
1 large based ship - falcon/lambda/decimator (to proxy)

I'd recommend adding another Hero ship, so you have 2 rebels flying around...though that would mean a couple more TIEs

I recommend 1 dedicated Tie interceptor as these are used almost as much as the basic TIEs.

That should get you through most of the missions, I believe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gaming is going on in here!Microbadge: Linux userMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Handyman
Thanks Matt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Runebound (3rd Edition) fanMicrobadge: Ice hockey playerMicrobadge: Runebound fanMicrobadge: In-N-Out fanMicrobadge: Runebound fan
No problem! It's a fun game and this coop campaign is quite fantastic.

If you ever expect to play more than just the campaign, I'd recommend 2 cores (one original & one Force Awakens) which will give you two rebel ships (even if you just proxy the t-70 as a normal x-wing for the campaign) plus 2 more TIEs for a good $...not to mention double all the dice/templates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign?
Do you have a link to this mentioned campaign, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Print and Play Games News fanMicrobadge: New Orleans Saints fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Gold Crafter: I have crafted 50 PnP gamesMicrobadge: I love Totoro
Goodsound wrote:
http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Kupper
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Jack Vasel Auction participantMicrobadge: Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Deck Building fanMicrobadge: Vladimir Chvátil fanMicrobadge: "Made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs."
I highly recommend it. It's very well done and a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danrodz wrote:
Goodsound wrote:
http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/
Thanks, this is impressive what Josh has done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Just found the campaign FAQ has more info on model requirements

http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/faq/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B.
Poland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play a male Dwarf!Microbadge: I destroy all in my path!Microbadge: Dungeon-crawlerMicrobadge: I'm an Armchair GeneralMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
Yes, but the info isn't very specific, with every wave there are more Ties, so "a single Tie of each type" would need some clarification. Can anyone clarify which ships and how many of each kind are needed to play the campaign without proxies for 2 and 3 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cameron
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Runewars fan - Daqan LordsMicrobadge: Scythe fan
Hi A.B.

The campaign scales for the number of players (so you'll need more ships for 3 than 2). Enemies arrive in waves so you'll be able to recycle some of the ships you have used already but the absolute maximum for the first (training) mission (for 3P) is 6 Tie's and 1 Interceptor.

The later missions use more and, as you progress in pilot skill, you may need more ships (reinforcement waves also scale for pilot skill)

Additionally, if you do not want to proxy at all, some missions use the Decimator and one mission, for example, uses two Imperial Shuttles (although one is disabled and does not move).

Some missions use the Rebel Transport (that mission (Minefields Pt 2) is possibly the most costly in terms of stuff on the table - 2 Interceptors, 4 Tie (max although they arrive very far apart), 2 Bombers, Decimator, Transport plus the Rebel ships you are flying)

Of course you may wish to proxy the big stuff and just get the small stuff in which case I'd say you need about 8 Ties (FO ones can stand in for Imperial if you want) and 3-4 Interceptors plus rebel ships. That'll get you started anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cameron
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Runewars fan - Daqan LordsMicrobadge: Scythe fan
Actually a full list for 3p would be (assuming every mission is done at high Pilot skill)

10 Tie Fighters#
3 Tie Interceptors*
1 Tie Advanced
5 Tie Bombers**
1 Decimator
3 Phantoms
2 Shuttles***
1 Tie Advanced
2 Tie Defenders

1 HWK (NPC ship)
1 YT1300 (NPC ship)
1 Rebel Transport (NPC ship)

Plus rebel ships for every player. You start off in either a T65 X or Y but can change to T70 (as per FAQ discussion), B or A wing (or HWK if you like ugly ships). E wing and K- wing are sort of mooted as a possibility.

# - Tie fighters are very disposable in this version so I doubt you'd ever see 10 on the board. I have 6 Tie's and 4 FO Ties and I think it's a reasonable number.

* - one mission has Tie Interceptors arriving in waves depending on your dice roll. Roll poorly and it's very easy to end up with lots of them on the board (good idea to get the heck our if that occurs). For example I ended up with 5 on the board (no that didn't go well for me)

** - I cannot imagine all 5 will be on the board but one mission has 3 arriving in turn 3 and 2 in Turn 6 (if the average Rebel Pilot Skill is 8+). Hopefully you'll be taking them out as they arrive

*** - as mentioned one mission has a disabled shuttle which does not move. I imagine most people would proxy this.

This list is so wide as to be almost pointless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B.
Poland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play a male Dwarf!Microbadge: I destroy all in my path!Microbadge: Dungeon-crawlerMicrobadge: I'm an Armchair GeneralMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
Thanks, Stuart, that's exactly what I needed. It's a paradox that it's easier to play Heroes... for someone who is collecting Imperials as one surely has those ships. I am collecting Rebels so I need an Imperial campaign! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dungeons & Dragons playerMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Takenoko fanMicrobadge: Fan of Sparky the Stunt Dog!Microbadge: Texas
dukeadam wrote:
I am collecting Rebels so I need an Imperial campaign! ;-)
That was my situation. I found someone on eBay selling a big Imperial collection for a good price and that's how I picked up the ships to run this campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper File UploaderMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Tide of Iron fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: StarCraft: The Board Game fan
I got into X-Wing recently mainly because of the prospect of this campaign, and now I'm trying to get what I need in the most budget-friendly way possible. So far I have:
- Base game TFA
- Imperial Aces
- Rebel Aces
- TIE/fo
Total: 3 TIE/fo, 2 TIE/I, 1 X-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing

I thought to use TIE/fo and normal TIE interchangable or, if scenario allows, to use TIE/fo as elite. The aces gave me two Interceptors (for some reason the single Interceptors are currently hard to get in Germany). So I thought about this for the bare necessities (hum along) to start playing:
- Base game
- Y-Wing
- Imperial Veterans
- TIE/A
- TIE
Total: 3 TIE, 1 Y-Wing, 1 TIE/B, 1 TIE/D, 1 TIE/A

With this, I have enough rebel ships for three players (2 X-Wings and one Y-Wing, with the option to upgrade the T70 model proxying for a T65 to a real T70). I have 6 TIE, 2 Interceptors. The Bomber, Advances and Defender can proxy for one another and the Phantom. As soon as a mission requires a large ship, I get either the Shuttle or the Phantom, but for the beginning, I'm set.

Now you. Is there any flaw in my list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
StefanSasse wrote:
Is there any flaw in my list?
The only flaw I see is the availability of the Imperial Veterans pack, or rather lack of availability.

Once that's released I think you've got the right idea about #s of ships and proxying for the few missing components. If you have a single large ship (eventually) it can fill in for whatever large ship need you may have. Also, if not already, consider proxying upgrade cards for the campaign to give some great experience point shopping.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper File UploaderMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Tide of Iron fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: StarCraft: The Board Game fan
I already did. With the exception of wave 8, I have at least three copies of every card printed out.

I didn't realize the Imperial veterans aren't available. Are they not out yet, or out of print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dungeons & Dragons playerMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Takenoko fanMicrobadge: Fan of Sparky the Stunt Dog!Microbadge: Texas
StefanSasse wrote:
I didn't realize the Imperial veterans aren't available. Are they not out yet, or out of print?
They haven't been released yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kirk lange
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chewie Is My Co-Pilot!Microbadge: Your MomMicrobadge: What, me worry?Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I apologize for necromancing an old thread like this but after researching and reading online, I am still unable to ascertain what ship list i need for HOTAC to satisfy a 2P game without proxy.

As earlier replies stated, the FAQ is somewhat cryptic - perhaps someone can weigh in whom has run through a 2P campaign?

Cheers!

My collection so far:

X-wing x 2
Y-wing x 1

TIE x 2
Sabines TIE x 1
TIE Advanced x 1
TIE Interceptor x 1

Z-95 Headhunter x 2
Slave-1 x 1
YT-1300 x 1
HWK-290 x 1

happy to just even see what a "Shopping list" might look like. Then i can make some decisions on proxies if they make sense.

Thanks for any clarity. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around it for me and my boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
The Heroes FAQ located here:

Offers the following advice:
Quote:
Q: How many ships do I need? Can I run this with my collection?
A: In general you will need the following for each Rebel ship:

1 X-wing or Y-wing (model, base, dial, tokens); campaign adds a player scoresheet
2 TIE Fighters*
1 of each other TIE for every 2 players*
1-2 shuttles total*
1 Decimator*
some missions also include the YT-1300, HWK-290 and Rebel Transport.
*You only need the model & base; the campaign replaces the dials and cards with an AI statcard/Imperial Pilot card
That means for 2 players you would expect to need 4 TIE Fighters, and the rest as listed. Honestly though what I would prepare for is if you have two players play with 3-4 ships (1-2 each). You'll have a lot more fun, and some of the missions don't really kick in unless you have those extra ships. Given that, you'll need to up your collection...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schmidt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Raspberry Pi fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game: Heroes of the Aturi Cluster fanMicrobadge: MYTH fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Talisman fan
Here is my list of ships and playing 2-3 players I can't remember a time we needed to proxy a ship.

X-wing - 7 (4 T-65/3 T-70)
Y-wing - 3
A-wing - 4
B-wing - 3
HWK290 - 1
YT-1300 - 3 (2 orig/1 FA) (+1 YT-2400)
Transport - 1 (T-65 X-wing repaint)

Tie - 12 (8 core/4 FO(1 SF))
Tie Int - 6
Tie Adv - 1 (+1 Prototype)
Tie Phan - 3
Tie Bomb - 3 (+1 Punisher)
Tie Def - 2
Decimator - 1
Lambda - 2
Imperial Assault Carrier - 1 (2 more Ties!)

I managed to get the 2 extra Phantoms on ebay without all the upgrade cards as I really only wanted the ships & stands. The second Lambda I bought off a friend who over ordered and had an extra. The Imperial Assault Carrier is for playing Battlestar Gozanti/Pallas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I forgot about the Rebel Transport. There is an active group on Facebook that supports Heroes, and someone made a base that you can print out and use for that ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Wexler
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
drathbun wrote:
The Heroes FAQ located here:

Offers the following advice:
Quote:
Q: How many ships do I need? Can I run this with my collection?
A: In general you will need the following for each Rebel ship:

1 X-wing or Y-wing (model, base, dial, tokens); campaign adds a player scoresheet
2 TIE Fighters*
1 of each other TIE for every 2 players*
1-2 shuttles total*
1 Decimator*
some missions also include the YT-1300, HWK-290 and Rebel Transport.
*You only need the model & base; the campaign replaces the dials and cards with an AI statcard/Imperial Pilot card
That means for 2 players you would expect to need 4 TIE Fighters, and the rest as listed. Honestly though what I would prepare for is if you have two players play with 3-4 ships (1-2 each). You'll have a lot more fun, and some of the missions don't really kick in unless you have those extra ships. Given that, you'll need to up your collection...
When you increase the ships, do you scale the difficulty? I'm COMPLETELY new to HotAC and just trying to get a handle on what ships I might need so my son and I could play. We'd be just two players, but probably handle 1-2 fighters each. So do we go with the 3p or 4p difficulty scaling, or the 2p scaling? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
It would scale based on the number of ships, not players. So if you each play two ships, that would be 4 players for scaling the missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
1 ship is one player. If you use newer ships, or large ones, either add one player or use TIE/fo instead of TIE, TIE Elite or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |