Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Conner
United States
Bridgeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Air cav units may move via air (helo) OR their printed movement value of 1.
Is this correct?

When moving air cav units via air, the player does not have to expend Allied helo transport counters.
Is this correct?

Thanks for any clarifications/ help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems right to me.

So that was the way I was playing it, but when I re-read the rules I think the Air Cav still need to use the helo transport, but they have the benefit of not requiring an airbase as part of their move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Conner
United States
Bridgeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattusilis_III wrote:
That seems right to me.

So that was the way I was playing it, but when I re-read the rules I think the Air Cav still need to use the helo transport, but they have the benefit of not requiring an airbase as part of their move.
Ah.
I think you're correct, but I'm going to re-read those rules again myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swamp Hamster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understood the rules, all helicopter air transport must be accomplished with available helicopter transport units. Thus, the 1st Cav units can utilize ground movement like any infantry but must be accompanied by available helicopter counters when using air transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am reading the rules right:

1) (10.1 & 15.2) A helo can transport a para, airmobile, airborne, inf, Mar, eng or SF between any two hexes (or staging area) as long as one is an airbase AND you can't land in a jungle

2) (15.3) If the helo is carrying one of the 1st Cav brigades, then open, hills and firebases count as an airbase in the case above.

3) (17.4) you get a "free" transfer of one ground unit from one airbase to another assuming the welcoming base has troops. No helo necessary

4) (15.2) you can evac retreating troops if you have a chopper, the unit is airmobile, starting space can't have AAA, landing space must be an airbase without enemy.

Note in cases 1 and 4 it appears that you can leave a jungle (though that seems counterintuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
About your point #3
(17.4) you get a "free" transfer of one ground unit from one airbase to another assuming the welcoming base has troops. No helo necessary

I think, this would not be possible as per
(15.1) Airborne Units: "No Ariborne Landings allowed."

I am quite disappointed about the way the rules are written...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stefano,

I agree with your feelings about the rules. Seems like a pattern with Decision Games.

I interpret 15.2 to mean no paradrops. There is a paratroop counter in the in countermix. He doesn't get to make an airdrop (e.g airborne landing). This negates rule 10.2 in the standard rules.

17.4 is a ground unit making a transfer (presumably by air transports outside the scope of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, this makes sense. I will play this way then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls