Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

The Banner Saga: Warbands» Forums » General

Subject: Banner Saga: Warbands is up on Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the campaign here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/the-banner...

This one is fully baked. Complete rules already laid out and downloadable,... game play videos,.... all sculpts completed.

A bit of a different animal from MYTH and Recon,... this is much more board game with a bit of skirmish battle mixed in.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Very different for us. Much more contained. Quick to play. The videos over the next few days will shed some light on how the roles interact and inform on the debate part of the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
The videos over the next few days will shed some light on how the roles interact and inform on the debate part of the game.
Yes IMO this would be the most important.

Also, how much to ship to Australia
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game type co-op experience. Work together, but further your own means.

Jorune
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mydnight wrote:
BShotton wrote:
The videos over the next few days will shed some light on how the roles interact and inform on the debate part of the game.
Yes IMO this would be the most important.

Also, how much to ship to Australia
there is a ship from within Australia option shown on the kickstarter page so I'd imagine it should be pretty affordable.

I like the idea but feel like this game is missing too much of its charm from the actual video game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
mydnight wrote:
BShotton wrote:
The videos over the next few days will shed some light on how the roles interact and inform on the debate part of the game.
Yes IMO this would be the most important.

Also, how much to ship to Australia
there is a ship from within Australia option shown on the kickstarter page so I'd imagine it should be pretty affordable.

I like the idea but feel like this game is missing too much of its charm from the actual video game.
You'll have to turn up the volume of the soundtrack while playing

I am surprised the combat has been 'dumbed down' since the video game implementation was as board-gamey as you could get.

The video game has the advantage of the choose-your-own-adventure style emphasis, but the board game may be able to differentiate itself if it encourages enough negotiation and conflict 'internally'.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the videogame but I'm not completely sold to the boardgame as shown in the videos.

In my opinion they should have taken a different route, making it something complementary to the video game. Something that could add new levels of gaming to the franchise using the different possibilities that the boardgame media gives, instead of making a "copy" of the video games. A copy that actually seems to have low replay value with a stripped down skirmish part.

Also many addons are minis but the mini side of the game is the weakest one.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see character development; this is either minimal or not clear from the short playthough.

The group mechanic looks good for 4-player, would like to know how 2-plays.

Combat element is weak compared to the pc game - Turn order missing. It's disappointing to see the Armour and Strength values being replaced with a banner value of 1-3; plus a shield. The AoE attacks are missing too.

The mini production looks fantastic, but it's for the weakest element.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Chazot
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit put off by the coopetition elements.

The rulebook talks about bidding for people's support, but honestly if I'm playing a co-op game I don't really care about my personal power. If the choice is better for the group, I feel like most of the time it would be pretty easy to decide what to do, rather than resort to bidding.

Has there been any evidence of a meaningful reason you'd want to get into a bidding war? When my group and I play co-op, we're playing fully as team players - the internal conflict seems a bit artificial as it stands.

Happy to be proven wrong though, as I like the look of a lot of the other elements!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis are the best thing but the sad part is that they are almost useless for they kind of game they are releasing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: John Company fanMicrobadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: MYTH fanMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Fan of Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island
I think the reason the combat element is simplified is so that it is quick... It appears to be more of a single play session game..

The only downsides for me currently are the co-ompetition... as I tend to play solo and the low # of 'event cards' I think they stated in a vid that there are multiple cards with the same situation but different outcomes so you will never 'know' which one.. but the low # has me a bit worried. we shall see how it develops here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in at early bird for now, but they are going to have to add a ton of physical add-on content to make the Bannerman pledge worth it. The digital items are worth little to me given Steam sales (the first game is $5 right now). Otherwise, base + stretch goals is clearly a much better deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Avatar
Microbadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fan
lanoman97 wrote:
I'm in at early bird for now, but they are going to have to add a ton of physical add-on content to make the Bannerman pledge worth it. The digital items are worth little to me given Steam sales (the first game is $5 right now). Otherwise, base + stretch goals is clearly a much better deal.
I don't see a compelling reason not to wait for retail actually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm operating under the assumption that the stretch goals will blow up like the Myth ones. Of course, if this KS doesn't take off, better to just wait for retail.

Assuming physical stretch goals on the level of Myth, the Bannerman level (early or regular) looks pretty unappealing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
80$ vs 200$, so far:

All Add Ons:
$20 for Grunts & fireslingers- which MegaCon say you'll need in the game some circumstances - thumbsup
$35 for the Sundr
$30 for God Stones
$10 for a battle tile
$20 for sleeves & stones
= $115

Banner Saga & Soundstrack (1-2) - $45 - But realistically $5 for a humble bundle in a year's Time.
$5 - Novel.

All Non-Physical Stretch Goals:
None

So $120 is not appealing yet; hopefully there will be a switch in a few days.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to Quote MegaCon here:

Quote:
-More Grunts and Fireslingers only come into play if the warband encounter have a swarm encounter during a skirmish. They might be necessary if the players were unsuccessful in clearing out all the enemies before the reinforcements arrive.
This sounds like a whole block of rules that aren't in the rulebook. What happens if I buy it retail and I don't have the extra units?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody has doubts about the price?

80 USD seems way to much for the content shown.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
California
flag msg tools
Decar wrote:
Just wanted to Quote MegaCon here:

Quote:
-More Grunts and Fireslingers only come into play if the warband encounter have a swarm encounter during a skirmish. They might be necessary if the players were unsuccessful in clearing out all the enemies before the reinforcements arrive.
This sounds like a whole block of rules that aren't in the rulebook. What happens if I buy it retail and I don't have the extra units?
You supply your own, just like in Megacon's previous kickstarter games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Avatar
Microbadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fan
okocnar wrote:
Anybody has doubts about the price?

80 USD seems way to much for the content shown.
Yeah, I do.

Item for Geeklist "Contemplating My Kickstarter Navel"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pema
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Decar wrote:
80$ vs 200$, so far:

All Add Ons:
$20 for Grunts & fireslingers- which MegaCon say you'll need in the game some circumstances - thumbsup
$35 for the Sundr
$30 for God Stones
$10 for a battle tile
$20 for sleeves & stones
= $115

Banner Saga & Soundstrack (1-2) - $45 - But realistically $5 for a humble bundle in a year's Time.
$5 - Novel.

All Non-Physical Stretch Goals:
None

So $120 is not appealing yet; hopefully there will be a switch in a few days.
The add-ons are really expensive for what you get. And have very little reason to be separate from the base game anyway.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: John Company fanMicrobadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: MYTH fanMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Fan of Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island
I concur that some of the add ons seem pricey. I wish there was a middling pledge level for all physical stuff only.... heck do a 140 or something. I am in at the Bannerman but may drop down and do a few add ons... depends on what myth crossover stuff occurs...and what is 'needed'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do really like the exclusives in this ks. They seem to all be non game related things (or upgrades to components). I think. I just did a quick glance but that's what it seemed like when I looked at it.

Which means I can easily wait to see what the reviews are after it sends out. The game looks gorgeous and it's an IP that I enjoy. So if the game is good I'll definitely look into it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Hybrid fanMicrobadge: I craft PnP games and then don't play themMicrobadge: Todd Sanders fan
pema wrote:
Decar wrote:
80$ vs 200$, so far:

All Add Ons:
$20 for Grunts & fireslingers- which MegaCon say you'll need in the game some circumstances - thumbsup
$35 for the Sundr
$30 for God Stones
$10 for a battle tile
$20 for sleeves & stones
= $115

Banner Saga & Soundstrack (1-2) - $45 - But realistically $5 for a humble bundle in a year's Time.
$5 - Novel.

All Non-Physical Stretch Goals:
None

So $120 is not appealing yet; hopefully there will be a switch in a few days.
The add-ons are really expensive for what you get. And have very little reason to be separate from the base game anyway.
Expensive? I tend torwards insane in some cases.
Let's take the Willpower Crystals for example that cost $10 for 20 of them as Add-On. Considering the image shows plastic crystals of which you can easily get 200 for $5 I consider that robbery.
The Godstone expansion seems awfully overpriced at $30 too considering that's 9 small miniatures for the map.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls