Recommend
32 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Congrats to Ares, the best KS publisher by far. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: I sleeve everything
Although we're more than an hour away from funding, I'll like to congratulate Ares on such a successful campaign. The amount of effort put towards the concerns and suggestions of the backers is amazing. They have always communicated to us in a swift manner, both here and on Kickstarter. Also, I had to pull out of pledging this campaign due to a hailstorm in Brisbane. Imagine smashed car and house. What they replied next was simply unbelievable:

From gallery of johnneh


Which publisher would choose to lose their profit to help out a backer? Naturally, I declined the offer as I would very much rather pay for all their effort poured into this campaign. I'll be increasing my pledge to a Immortal level come the PM. What I'm paying for is not just the game but the appreciation I have for Ares and the Gremlin's team.

I hope with this post, anybody who is on the fence will make the leap. You'll thank me later!
46 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor wolf

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: FishingMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: I love dry, soulless Euros!!!Microbadge: "Wow, this movie's really drawing me in… to a deep well of despair."Microbadge: George Bernard Shaw - We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
I agree, they ran a fantastic campaign! Their communication was excellent and the game looks great. I think the only thing that held this back was the glut of good looking KS games also ran these last couple months, but they still did very well.

I'm very much looking forward to this one, and judging by how well their 2 GD campaigns went, their reputation is climbing to the top in my book.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
Avatar
Microbadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fan
Such a great campaign! Only 30 minutes to back!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Cat Town fanMicrobadge: Mina's Fresh Cardboard fanMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: Mmmm, Fudge!
That's very nice of them, thanks for sharing. And good luck with the damage!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Tuba fanMicrobadge: RSP Dominionist (sympathizer)Microbadge: Taco de Mayo 2018 - I ate 31 tacos in 31 days!Microbadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Kiwanis
I love Ares but it will be interesting to see what people think of the campaign a year from now. Conan is sure taking its time
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Fireteam Zero fan - monsters!Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Sagrada fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Defenders fan - Hulk AgentMicrobadge: Thunder Alley fan
Well, Galaxy Defenders was only 3-4 months late but aside from that I haven't seen anything wrong with the production or heard anything about it so that's a good sign to me for Sword & Sorcery because they are both Gremlin Projects.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Tuba fanMicrobadge: RSP Dominionist (sympathizer)Microbadge: Taco de Mayo 2018 - I ate 31 tacos in 31 days!Microbadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Kiwanis
Logus Vile wrote:
Well, Galaxy Defenders was only 3-4 months late but aside from that I haven't seen anything wrong with the production or heard anything about it so that's a good sign to me for Sword & Sorcery because they are both Gremlin Projects.
True I guess GD2 was only like 5 months late.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Sword & Sorcery fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Defenders fanMicrobadge: Legend of the Five Rings LCGMicrobadge: Solitaire Gamer
lfisher wrote:
True I guess GD2 was only like 5 months late.
Actually, both were 5 months late (estimated 4 months for GD1, delivered 9 months; estimated 8 months GD2, delivered 13 months). The 12 months estimated for S&S is the Gremlins' most conservative estimate yet; I wouldn't be surprised if it's late a month or two if something unforeseen comes up, but I'd be shocked if it got pushed much beyond that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
GD2 was the only kickstarter I have been a part of where there was no complaining what-so-ever.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Uwe says...Microbadge: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Pathfinder Society MemberMicrobadge: Starfinder RPG fanMicrobadge: Parent of a Boy and a Girl
Mr Skeletor wrote:
GD2 was the only kickstarter I have been a part of where there was no complaining what-so-ever.
There was plenty of complaining about male / female ratio of the heroes as well as the poses / clothing of the female heroes....

so you know...par for course for every KS that included similar things ever.

Not to take away from the successful campaign. I thought it was really well done and Im looking forward to receiving it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Fireteam Zero fan - monsters!Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Sagrada fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Defenders fan - Hulk AgentMicrobadge: Thunder Alley fan
Woodenman wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
GD2 was the only kickstarter I have been a part of where there was no complaining what-so-ever.
There was plenty of complaining about male / female ratio of the heroes as well as the poses / clothing of the female heroes....

so you know...par for course for every KS that included similar things ever.

Not to take away from the successful campaign. I thought it was really well done and Im looking forward to receiving it.
GD2 means Galaxy Defenders 2nd Kickstarter. He's not talking about this one.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This was the BEST kickstarter i ever joined, so great communication, so much fun.

You want a $1 pledge? You get it.
You want AllIN pledges? Here you go!
You want ghost blue minis for ghost form heroes? No problem.
You want an hero pack addon who includes really all heroes? Guess what
You are dice addicted? Here is your super fat dice pack.

You dont like Highlander 2? ... Well, no wonder

Thanks all for this great ride, it was a pleasure.

So many known faces there!

Shakka

Edit: Did i say there is a dwarven cleric in this game?!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Kragh
Denmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Claustrophobia - I play DemonsMicrobadge: Sword & Sorcery fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: ShadespireMicrobadge: 7 Wonders Duel fanMicrobadge: Cyberpunk fan
Agree. The campaign was well run and tremendous fun. Ares/Gremlins you know how to throw one hell of a kickstarter campaign (and party). I salute you
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you Ares and Gremlins for an amazing KS

As far as i can tell all wishes of the community raised during the kickstarter were addressed:

- Some asked for a 2nd set of minis that can be used as ghosts...you delivered the option to get them in ghostly blue

- Some asked for an all-in bundle...you gave us the immortal bundle with a great discount

- Some wanted less scantily clad dressed heroines...you gave us a great variety of heroines (and heroes) to choose from

- Some wanted a necromancer hero..you gave us a necromancer

- Some wanted a quest generator...you gave us a quest generator

And i am sure i forgot some points in my list. Again great campaign and if the fulfillment of the KS is as good as the campaign -which i am very confident it will be- i will definitely be on board for your next one.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You are the true heroes of this campaign because S&S will born thanks to the effort of all of you!

I will do my best to keep you updated on the development!

Thanks

Simone
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor wolf

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: FishingMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: I love dry, soulless Euros!!!Microbadge: "Wow, this movie's really drawing me in… to a deep well of despair."Microbadge: George Bernard Shaw - We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Skaak wrote:
lfisher wrote:
True I guess GD2 was only like 5 months late.
Actually, both were 5 months late (estimated 4 months for GD1, delivered 9 months; estimated 8 months GD2, delivered 13 months). The 12 months estimated for S&S is the Gremlins' most conservative estimate yet; I wouldn't be surprised if it's late a month or two if something unforeseen comes up, but I'd be shocked if it got pushed much beyond that.
I think it is pretty ridiculous to use the term "late". The release dates EVERY company gives on KS are estimates. People do not understand the effort that goes into developing and producing a game, there are a whole slew of things (namely the actual production part) that are out of the control of the developers.

To say "Well they promised it would be here in 12 months and it took 14 months so they are late!" is audacious and ignorant. You should know what Kickstarter is if you are going to be putting money into a project.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: 1 Player Guild Sock Puppet of the WeekMicrobadge: Solitaire Games on Your Table - Together, we game alone...Microbadge: Dice Hate Me
bigGameGeek wrote:
Skaak wrote:
lfisher wrote:
True I guess GD2 was only like 5 months late.
Actually, both were 5 months late (estimated 4 months for GD1, delivered 9 months; estimated 8 months GD2, delivered 13 months). The 12 months estimated for S&S is the Gremlins' most conservative estimate yet; I wouldn't be surprised if it's late a month or two if something unforeseen comes up, but I'd be shocked if it got pushed much beyond that.
I think it is pretty ridiculous to use the term "late". The release dates EVERY company gives on KS are estimates. People do not understand the effort that goes into developing and producing a game, there are a whole slew of things (namely the actual production part) that are out of the control of the developers.

To say "Well they promised it would be here in 12 months and it took 14 months so they are late!" is audacious and ignorant. You should know what Kickstarter is if you are going to be putting money into a project.
By that definition, nothing would ever be late.

Their previous KS were late. Acknowledging that is not the same thing as saying that their actions were unacceptable or that they are a shady company which did something wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor wolf

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: FishingMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: I love dry, soulless Euros!!!Microbadge: "Wow, this movie's really drawing me in… to a deep well of despair."Microbadge: George Bernard Shaw - We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Jokemeister wrote:

By that definition, nothing would ever be late.

Their previous KS were late. Acknowledging that is not the same thing as saying that their actions were unacceptable or that they are a shady company which did something wrong.
sorry, but "late" is an implied negative connotation

I guess I'm not understanding your argument, I never attempted to define anything. If they had said, "It will be in your hands by November" and it wasn't, then it's late. But no one ever said that, they are very clearly labeled as estimates.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Retriever loverMicrobadge: RPG Geek of the Week!Microbadge: Sam & Max fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
bigGameGeek wrote:
I think it is pretty ridiculous to use the term "late". The release dates EVERY company gives on KS are estimates. People do not understand the effort that goes into developing and producing a game, there are a whole slew of things (namely the actual production part) that are out of the control of the developers.
I think the problem is KS's requirement of stating which *month* a project is estimated to be complete. For boardgames, retail companies don't even do this, giving out quarterly dates instead. Manufacturing problems (eg. Recon) and customs inspections easily push projects one or several months.

But, if you pad out the estimated fulfillment date with reasonable bad-case scenarios, you *still* get potential backers unhappy with the estimated date because they think they'll wait longer on your project than a similar one that didn't pad out their estimated date!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: 1 Player Guild Sock Puppet of the WeekMicrobadge: Solitaire Games on Your Table - Together, we game alone...Microbadge: Dice Hate Me
bigGameGeek wrote:
Jokemeister wrote:

By that definition, nothing would ever be late.

Their previous KS were late. Acknowledging that is not the same thing as saying that their actions were unacceptable or that they are a shady company which did something wrong.
sorry, but "late" is an implied negative connotation

I guess I'm not understanding your argument, I never attempted to define anything. If they had said, "It will be in your hands by November" and it wasn't, then it's late. But no one ever said that, they are very clearly labeled as estimates.
Unless you can see into the future, any statement around when something will be done by is, by its very nature, an estimate. This is regardless of whether it is in relation to KS or not. Even if they had said "We guarantee you will have this by November" - that doesn't change the fact that it is an estimate.

Some things are easier to estimate than others. For example, your local pizza delivery may give you an estimate of 30 minutes for their pizza to be delivered and may meet that 99% of the time (although, obv, this does depend on your local pizza store!). Other things are much harder to estimate - such as a complex project which multiple moving parts taking place over many months.

Generally, companies hedge against this by using different terms to indicate how comfortable they are about meeting a particular estimate. Taking that pizza example, these don't show up in HK anymore, but there was a period of time when some pizza companies were promising to deliver a pizza within 30 minutes or the pizza would be free. In that particular case, the company was very confident about their ability to meet the 30 minute delivery time so attached a penalty in the event they didn't meet it. This doesn't change the fact that the delivery time is still an estimate.

Regardless of what they are calling it and how comfortable they are in meeting it, they are all still estimating when the project will be complete. To say that it is "ridiculous to use the term "late"." simply because the date provided is an estimate would mean that you could never use the term late. Can you imagine trying to pull that argument with your boss after you don't deliver a project on time? Alternatively, imagine you hired a contractor to build an extension to your house. He estimates it will take 2 months but the work doesn't get completed within that 2 month timeframe. Would you be comfortable with him saying that he wasn't late because the 2 months was just an estimate? There may be fair and valid reasons for it being late such that you wouldn't even be upset - that doesn't mean that the extension isn't late.

To reiterate my earlier point - acknowledging that their previous KS were late is not the same thing as saying that their actions were unacceptable or that they are a shady company which did something wrong. Taking my previous examples - if I delivered my project late (and I often do), my boss takes time to understand what happened (actually, he knows the project will be late before we get to the deadline - we have regular project updates). He isn't going to fire me just because my project was late and I can still get a good performance review even though some of my projects were late. Ultimately, he looks at what happened and takes an aggregate view.

Similarly with Ares, I fully understand that the project they are working on is complex and has many moving parts spread out over numerous months. However, that doesn't change the fact that GD was late. Even though it was late, I understand why it was late which is why I'm happy to back S&S.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Silverback
msg tools
Microbadge: Rum & Bones fanMicrobadge: Sword & Sorcery fanMicrobadge: Zombicide: Black Plague fanMicrobadge: I backed Gloomhaven on KickstarterMicrobadge: World of Warcraft: The Boardgame fan
tl/dr: stop whining like a 4 year old, you get it when its done!

Awesome campaign, guys. I hope the community will stay active for a long time!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: VeganMicrobadge: Cat-in-a-boxMicrobadge: Apple haterMicrobadge: Tea drinker
What I hate with all the Kickstarters nowadays is the damn new update page.

I hate seeing short links and having to open each and every update in a new tab (or click and going back and forward the whole time but I don't want to do that.)

Just list them all for me like it used to! I can take it!

It's so shitty.

Like original Cthulhu wars had 90+ updates before it was even over. Yeah, I want to click all those links! Not.

I don't sit follow each campaign and every single update. Maybe if I have committed and bought I would do so but not otherwise.

I hate that the update page is trash nowadays because most campaigns isn't really "done" on the front-page and in the cases where they are / have lots of information there I kinda stay away from trying to follow it all.

Neither of which has anything to do with ARES or Gremlin - but it's an issue which ruin Kickstarter for me nowadays.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I can feel you, but believe me, The KS back-office site has much more terrible problems regarding the management of the project page

By the way, be prepared cause an update will be released in the next few days angry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Trajan fanMicrobadge: Clann DhochartaighMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Caylus fan
If you think Ares rocked it on this one check out their War of the Ring Anniversary edition that shipped to backers about 3 months ago.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |