Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pardon my ignorance, but I do not own the game and I would like to know what is required - rules and/or sets - to play coop. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game, first expansion, the 3 co op official variants and then the co op variant on this site that turns it into a full co op with everything they make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game to play Forgotton Souls & Natures Ire.
Base game plus Lair of the Wyrm to play Dark Elements.

Edit: added links!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So is it possible to play coop with the base game and the coop variant on this site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, you will need to print out some cards though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mikemarentette wrote:
So is it possible to play coop with the base game and the coop variant on this site?
There are a number of good fan-made Co-op or solo versions here on BGG. Which one in particular are you thinking of using.

Redjak's version (actually, he has a number of them) can include any of the expansions, or if you wish, just the base game.

I'm sure most of them only require the base game as a minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:
I think the best way to get started with the fan made co-ops is to try Nerdook's D6. It's the one that started it all in a way. It's a surprisingly challenging but a super simple automated overlord. Nerdook's D6 variant does not require printing cards or anything besides the base game. Once your comfortably with it you might move on to Redjak's very cool but a lot more complicated stuff.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/102760/nerdooks-d6-overlo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
mbmbmbmbmb
The official co-op sets are great, and Nerdook's variants are the easiest to implement. But for the most complete co-op experience, utilizing any and all of the official Descent components, try Redjak's Automated Overlord Variant (RAOV). He has a number of other high quality variants as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played solo and coop now with the base game, using Red Jack's Automated Monsters variant, and it felt so good. The AI took some interesting choices.
Essential cards are his Events, his AI monster cards, the Monster objective cards of the current quest and the dark influence cards.
All of that combined makes for a good experience borrowing from the Dungeons and Dragons board games.

I also added the loot tracker so there would be more incentive to kill monsters.
Also I added a doom tracker of sorts, in which you have 2 8 sided dice, one starts at 1 and the other at 8. One counts down and the other counts up as some things trigger them.

All in all it was pretty darn fun and engaging. And the difficulty ramps up with the doom track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls