Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a person that missed backing the KS I am chomping-at-the-bit to get this retail. I want to know how much do you think the PDFs will add to the choices? I don't really care about the wooden tokens I do care about getting more play value out of the game. Do you forsee running into the same encounter choices quickly?

Should I hold out and see if i can trade for the KS version or just jump into retail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Microbadge: Video Game ArtistMicrobadge: Obsidian Entertainment fanMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Silence! I kill you!Microbadge: Get off my lawn!
It's hard to say. The PDF's haven't been released yet so we don't know how many new paragraphs will be included. There were a significant number of upgrades in the KS version besides just the wood tokens. There's a full extra counter sheet and a double sided rules sheet with new content to use. One side of the sheet has rules specifically for the new PDF's. The other side covers the new extras from the counter sheet. If you are a completionist, then you probably want the KS version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's a concern: if I buy a KS copy from the secondary market, will I still be able to get the PDF content, or is it restricted to actual backers of the KS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is restricted so you would have to hope that the person that bought it will send it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
astrostasis wrote:
I think it is restricted so you would have to hope that the person that bought it will send it to you.
Any time I've been the seller in a situation like this, I usually send it on for free (if the price is of shipping is negligible).

If it's an electronic PDF… well, that's even cheaper…

edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel that the game has any replayability issues without the PDF. There are a lot of exploration stories and you won't necessarily choose the same option when you do see a repeat story. (Just so you know, there are 25 exploration cards with a d6 roll to choose the story -- that's 150 stories, and some have an automatic continuation to an additional story or one of the choices leads to an additional story. The book has 200+ stories in it.)

What's important to note about the PDF and KS content is that, as some pointed out, there are additional tokens that go with the PDF. There are villagers that can only be found in those PDF stories, and there are tokens that are used with the PDF. Without the KS punchout sheet, the PDF can't be used in its entirety and you won't know what story causes an issue until you read it.

If you are a completionist, find a KS copy and at the very worst, email the invoice and/or a pic of your copy to Red Raven. I'm sure Ryan would respond with the link to the PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my - I didn't know there was a KS edition! The completionist inside of me is screaming. Will this extra content (pdf/story telling component) be available for purchase at a later date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
Oh my - I didn't know there was a KS edition! The completionist inside of me is screaming. Will this extra content (pdf/story telling component) be available for purchase at a later date?
I believe that Red Raven has put some of the KS extras up in the BGG store in the past. I'm 95.3642% sure that I saw the extra boards for Eight Minute Empire: Legends there at one time -- but I've been wrong once or twice (or 17,000 times if you ask my wife). Of course, only Ryan Laukat can answer that question for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what the PDFs are. Are these the extra adventure included in the kickstarter version? or is there a promised extras coming down the line? Guess I didn't read about that . After 5 times, I don't know that we've repeated an encounter. If you don't repeat an encounter but one in 5 or one in 8 times, it's a bit hard to memorize (unless you're playing this every day) so I don't think the replay value would go down even as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PDF's are something still to come. As someone who backed the Kickstarter, I do love the add ons but they aren't show-stoppers to enjoy the game. As the other posters have noted, repeats will happen but they are few and far between - not to mention that its pretty tough to memorize them!
The wooden resource pieces are nice but the cardboard tokens stack a bit better. The other add ons are simply mini expansions that are definitely not necessary to fully enjoy this amazing game.

TLS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
It's hard to say. The PDF's haven't been released yet so we don't know how many new paragraphs will be included. There were a significant number of upgrades in the KS version besides just the wood tokens. There's a full extra counter sheet and a double sided rules sheet with new content to use. One side of the sheet has rules specifically for the new PDF's. The other side covers the new extras from the counter sheet. If you are a completionist, then you probably want the KS version.
Any idea when the new stories will be available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Microbadge: Video Game ArtistMicrobadge: Obsidian Entertainment fanMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Silence! I kill you!Microbadge: Get off my lawn!
Thelegitsandman wrote:
ScottE wrote:
Any idea when the new stories will be available?
I think they said sometime in December.

We played last weekend and loved the game. So we're going to play again once the new stories are out and roll in all the KS extras. We just played the base game this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Simply Walk Into Mordor!
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
We played last weekend and loved the game. So we're going to play again once the new stories are out and roll in all the KS extras. We just played the base game this time.
That statement makes me worried about replay-ability in the basic retail box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: TraderMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Big Lebowski fanMicrobadge: Fallout fanMicrobadge: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fan
Honestly, the paragraphs are just fluff and don't add or detract from the game beyond that. The paragraph could read " you meet a monkey...do you slap the monkey or kick the monkey" roll, repeat. There's more to the game beyond that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badfish20 wrote:
Honestly, the paragraphs are just fluff and don't add or detract from the game beyond that. The paragraph could read " you meet a monkey...do you slap the monkey or kick the monkey" roll, repeat. There's more to the game beyond that.
I suppose the same could be said for the art. It's all just fluff. The villagers could just be stick people; the goods could just be letters or abstract symbols; the buildings could just be the a cost value, a VP value, and a set of bonus symbols with no picture of the building itself. The game would still function the same.

With many games it is the "fluff" that helps immerse players in the game. When it comes to art, Red Raven games have some of the best "fluff" out there. And the writing for the paragraphs in Above and Below isn't too shabby either.

I agree that there is more to the game beyond the paragraphs, but I also think the paragraphs are an integral part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls