Ryan Stratychuk
msg tools
Just picked up the game and tomorrow I'll be getting my first expansion The Black Riders saga expansion.
I keep hearing that those scenarios are really killer. Personally, I haven't done much deck experimentation yet and haven't even beaten the Journey Down the Anduin scenario.
Is this too much of a challenge with the cards I have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
You're definitely in for a challenge. If you play on easy mode you might have a small chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stratychuk
msg tools
Sounds like a good time! Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: Dog loverMicrobadge: Fall down six times, stand up sevenMicrobadge: I speak GermanMicrobadge: I speak Japanese
You can make an out of the box tri-sphere hobbit deck with that box which is pretty strong (I beat the quests with it paired with another Rohan deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stratychuk
msg tools
Well, if hobbits are the way to go, so be it! I'll let y'all know if they end up "taking the hobbits to Isengard"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stratychuk
msg tools
Oh, I almost forgot! Thank you all for your assistance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caronte
msg tools
Definitely do-able I have beaten the Black Riders only using the cards from the Black Riders and Core set for this I played solo - one deck using the Hobbits for Heroes though the Knife in the Dark scenario was definitely not easy.
Just also finished completing the 2nd scenario of the The Road Darkens
following the same guidelines using only the cards from the Core set, Black Riders and The Road Darkens this time using two decks.
Definitely makes it more challenging not using cards from other sets but I find for myself it more thematic also in a way makes the deck building more manageable(less options)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stratychuk
msg tools
Thanks for the input! I was able to beat the black riders using the hobbit deck suggested with the box. Much more powerful than anything I had come up with until this point. Working through knife in the dark is hard. I subbed in son of anor (name?) for a couple weaker cards just to take care of that Bill Ferny.

Rules wise, there is a small question with big impacts. The presence of many shadow effects telling the Nazgul to attack again or attack the next player basically end the game straight up. I've done a house rule where if I'm solo, shadow effects telling enemies to attack the next player are voided, just so I don't get #rekt all the time.
Anyone else play this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
stratysphere wrote:
Rules wise, there is a small question with big impacts. The presence of many shadow effects telling the Nazgul to attack again or attack the next player basically end the game straight up. I've done a house rule where if I'm solo, shadow effects telling enemies to attack the next player are voided, just so I don't get #rekt all the time.
Anyone else play this way?
You actually played that correctly without a house rule. The shadow card that says "After this attack, the attacking enemy engages the next player then makes an immediate attack" doesn't do anything if you are playing solo because there is no next player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls