Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a bit of ambiguity around how this works and I was hoping someone might be able clarify.

If you are unable to retreat are you in a 'Desperation Defence' and the Desperation rules kick in immediately or does a desperation defence only come into effect after the first failed Determine Defence when there is no where to retreat?

So it's either

1. You fail determined defence with '-'
2. You now roll for your desperation defence with a guaranteed '-1' regardless of result (which you take off before you roll, why does that make any difference?)

OR

1. You are in a desperation defence, you are guaranteed a '-1' which you take off immediately then roll on the determine defence table
2. Continue rolling until you succeed or you are completely eliminated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Normandy 44 it says Desperation Defense kicks in only after the defender fails his Determined Defense roll. It doesn't have that sentence in Ukraine 43 but it seems to imply it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattusilis_III wrote:
In Normandy 44 it says Desperation Defense kicks in only after the defender fails his Determined Defense roll. It doesn't have that sentence in Ukraine 43 but it seems to imply it.
Actually if I'd read the example I would have seen that it's actually the second interpretation that is right:

EXAMPLE: A stack of 5 steps is defending in a Major City hex and
the CRT result is A1/D1. Both sides remove a step for the A1/D1 result and then the defender rolls a 2 on the DD Table which is a
fail. He removes 1 step and rolls again getting a 4 which is a •1/1
result. Both sides remove another step and the Retreat is canceled. The
defender lost a total of 3 steps and the attacker lost 2 steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it first way. My interpretation of the use of desperate defense is to get used when a retreat would force elimination. Retreat isn't determined until after determined defense is resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls