Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2000Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ragdoll cat loverMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 14 BGG poster
We played a game last night using the Elfenland map. The game is as fine as always, but unfortunately the art decisions leave a lot to be desired. The old Elfendroads and Elfenland had bright, vibrant travel counters, with sold background colours, to pop off the board making them easy to spot.

This version, the counters tend to blend into the board art. It's not terrible, but you have to work harder to spot them. Especially the golden unicorns in the autumnal forest. For a game where you are constantly scanning the board for these things, it's a pity.

I guess if you never played the original, you wouldn't know. I think I'll be using my original Elfenland counters in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Vermeersch
Belgium
ghent
Select..
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So wait, the board looks nicer, has upgraded visuals on the tokens, that actually blend in with the board itself, yet you're complaining?

You just can't please everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2000Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ragdoll cat loverMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 14 BGG poster
Sorcerious wrote:
So wait, the board looks nicer, has upgraded visuals on the tokens, that actually blend in with the board itself, yet you're complaining?

You just can't please everyone
Was I complaining? Did I say the board looks nicer? The visuals haven't been upgraded at all.

I was just making an observation that the art hindered the game in the new edition, rather than helped it. Good game art is an .... art, especially in a game where you need to constantly scan the board and process it. Elfenroads and Elfenland did it much better.

I do like how they reproduced the Elfenland board from the original - they obviously took some care there. The cities are styled on the original map, boats, trees, etc, are all faithfully reproduced. Just make the travel counters brighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted McManus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was disappointed and frustrated to find that the art on the board, cards and travel counters is far less functional than in Elfenland.

In Elfenland, Doris Matthäus designed the travel counters with a color-coded border/background with a strongly shaped central image. This allows them to visibly pop when placed on the board, and to be easily identifiable in reduced form on the travel matrix card. Color is also a cue for the cards and for terrain on the board. The art is just as functional as it is lovely.

In Elfenroads 2015, Alayna Lemmer made some nice paintings that would be great for a calendar, but they seem to be cropped for use in the game rather than designed to fit the game pieces. They also mostly employ the same color palette and don't feature strong shapes -- consequently they are hard to distinguish at a glance. The miniaturized art on the travel matrix card is very, very hard to discern.

I love Elfenland and have longed for nearly two decades for a re-release of Elfenroads... but now that it's here, I'm very disappointed.

And I appreciate Doris Matthäus' skills even more than before!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls