Subject: A euro with a similar elements as Istanbul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask in this thread or in Geek Mail and you'll be given 30GG for an Avatar.
badge
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Istanbul. Fast setup, easy rules, little wooden pieces to move around, and EASY scoring (first to 5/6 gems wins).

I thought Five Tribes may be the solution, but the end scoring is scaring me off. I like to know who won at the end of the game not 5 minutes later. (or am I being too closed minded?)

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A euro with a similar feel as Istanbul
Blue Moon City
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
None of this is real you know, right? Go out in real life and smell the roses. Unless you're allergic.
Microbadge: I purchased 100 microbadges in a single day.Microbadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.Microbadge: I love falafel!
Re: A euro with a similar feel as Istanbul
A bit simpler but faster and easier is Splendor. It has pretty tiles like Istanbul and the game is over fast. Scoring is a breeze: the first person to 15 points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Lubojanski
Poland
Ruda Śląska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I am thinking in opposite way... I have Splendor in my collection, and probably my next choice for somehow quick and easy play will be Istanbul. I don't mind playing Splendor from time to time, but I would like more variety and depth in my next purchase.

However Splendor is easy and quick game, how much euro is in this game? This is more card drafting, engine building... I would say it is more abstract game than euro - theme is not strictly attached to mechanisms in this game. Anyway, not bad choice.

Does anyone have any other more or less similar weight game candidate as Istanbul?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think RYŪ has the same game approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
None of this is real you know, right? Go out in real life and smell the roses. Unless you're allergic.
Microbadge: I purchased 100 microbadges in a single day.Microbadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.Microbadge: I love falafel!
How about The Ancient World? Slightly heavier than Istanbul, and fairly different game play, but a Euro with very pretty cards (the designer is also the artist). The rules are pretty clean, easy to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is the end scoring on The Ancient World?

Edit: Just looked into this... no little wooden bits... aww.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Looks interesting... but out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My recommendations:

Gold West
Beautifully produced; relatively quick play; does require some end game scoring though.

Five Tribes
End game scoring about as complex as 7 Wonders, if you are familiar with that. Beautiful production. However, can be little long w/ 4 players (I can play a game of Istanbul w/ 5 players quicker than Five tribes w/ 4 players)

Carcassonne (w/ Expansions)
Non-existent set up time basically. Lots of wooden meeples, etc. Score as you go. End game scoring (farms) not too bad.

Coops such as Pandemic and Dead Men Tell No Tales have cool pieces you get to move around the board (Dead men has cool wooden skulls and pirates!)

Barony, although maybe too abstract?

As a side note, you probably didnt mean it literally, but the winner in Istanbul is not simply the first to 5/6 gems. That simply triggers the end game condition. The round completes, and if two or more players have 5/6 gems then there are tie-breakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N Jones wrote:
I really enjoy Istanbul. Fast setup, easy rules, little wooden pieces to move around, and EASY scoring (first to 5/6 gems wins).

I thought Five Tribes may be the solution, but the end scoring is scaring me off. I like to know who won at the end of the game not 5 minutes later. (or am I being too closed minded?)
I think so. Five Tribes is one of my new favorite games. It's nothing like Istanbul, though.

Quote:
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
I haven't played any games quite like Istanbul, so I got nothing, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Microbrewery beer loverMicrobadge: LutheranMicrobadge: Maracaibo fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
N Jones wrote:
...I thought Five Tribes may be the solution, but the end scoring is scaring me off. I like to know who won at the end of the game not 5 minutes later. (or am I being too closed minded?)
Our group likes Five Tribes, and the end game scoring can actually be pretty exciting. Each player tried different tactics during the game, and in the end we see who did the best overall. Sometimes it is a surprise - a player who feels like they did poorly can end up winning or in close competition. It's not the same quick ending as a race game like Istanbul or Catan, but it is fulfilling in a different way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
RIVERSIDE
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These have somewhat different characteristics, but are all 1 hour or less with lots of interesting decisions, and easy end-game scoring:

Clans - Have to figure out who is which color - last color standing is the winner

Deus - Very interesting for it's length, empire-building(-ish) in nature, scoring is all done as you go except for a couple cards at the end (which are visible to all)

Taluva - tile laying game with layers. Placing all of your huts on the island is the winning condition, so scoring is just who gets there first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarmeeple wrote:
My recommendations:

Gold West
Beautifully produced; relatively quick play; does require some end game scoring though.

Five Tribes
End game scoring about as complex as 7 Wonders, if you are familiar with that. Beautiful production. However, can be little long w/ 4 players (I can play a game of Istanbul w/ 5 players quicker than Five tribes w/ 4 players)
Gold West looks *really* interesting. Zee Garcia loved it, but Ryan Metzler indicated that he felt like he could not get better in the game, that there was no feedback to improve strategy-wise. In your experience is there an advantage to the experienced player?

Five Tribes... hmmm. I am sooo on the fence with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
N Jones wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
Looks interesting... but out of print.
Sorry. I forgot to check availability. But it is similar to Istanbul!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
N Jones wrote:
jcarmeeple wrote:
My recommendations:

Gold West

Five Tribes
Gold West looks *really* interesting. Zee Garcia loved it, but Ryan Metzler indicated that he felt like he could not get better in the game, that there was no feedback to improve strategy-wise. In your experience is there an advantage to the experienced player?

I'd put the "advantage to experienced player" for Gold West along the same lines as Istanbul (which is one of my fav games). I believe an experienced player would definitely beat a newcomer, but the margin will decrease with subsequent plays (much quicker than say a game like Dominion, where it takes many, many plays to learn all the nuances of the cards and how they interact). I think this leads to tighter games which I actually enjoy more (like when my group plays Istanbul, we really have to make the right decision every single turn because the race is so close).

I will just say Istanbul is easily one of my favorites in my collection, at all player counts. Five Tribes is up there with Istanbul but I usually don't like playing 5 tribes with a full 4 players b/c of slightly long downtime. I have played both way, way more than I've played Gold West but I think Gold West is porbably going to end up being one my favorites too. It is so dang beautiful too on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mocha expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foldedcard wrote:
Mocha expansion?
Ha Ha... already got it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarmeeple wrote:
N Jones wrote:
jcarmeeple wrote:
My recommendations:

Gold West

Five Tribes

I'd put the "advantage to experienced player" for Gold West along the same lines as Istanbul (which is one of my fav games). I believe an experienced player would definitely beat a newcomer, but the margin will decrease with subsequent plays (much quicker than say a game like Dominion, where it takes many, many plays to learn all the nuances of the cards and how they interact). I think this leads to tighter games which I actually enjoy more (like when my group plays Istanbul, we really have to make the right decision every single turn because the race is so close).

I will just say Istanbul is easily one of my favorites in my collection, at all player counts. Five Tribes is up there with Istanbul but I usually don't like playing 5 tribes with a full 4 players b/c of slightly long downtime. I have played both way, way more than I've played Gold West but I think Gold West is porbably going to end up being one my favorites too. It is so dang beautiful too on the table.
I think you have sold me on Gold West over Five Tribes. Thanks so much for your suggestion. Now to wait for Black Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls