Popular Tags: [View All]
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Come join us and help raise money for the Vince Lombardi Cancer Foundation at the 2016 Gaming Hoopla now at the Holiday Inn, Gurnee, IL!

The Gaming Hoopla is an annual gaming convention that is a fund-raiser for cancer related charities. This year the Gaming Hoopla is partnering with the Vince Lombardi Cancer Foundation!

Featuring: Tabletop Boardgaming, Miniatures, Role-Playing Games, Giant & Life-size Board Games, Tournaments, Play-To-Win Events, Forums and Seminars, MilCOG Games Library, and much more!

We also have:
The Best Raffle Ever! (No, Really)
Various Guests of Honor (Big names in the gaming industry)
Vendors and Sponsors (Wonderful people that give us stuff to give you)
A Silent Auction (Where Attendees can buy and sell items)
The Hoopla Math Trade (Get games you want, get rid of those you don't)

April 1st - 3rd
Friday: 10am to Midnight
Saturday: 8am - Midnight
Sunday: 8am - 3pm

Preregistration Badge Price:
Weekend Pass - $40
Friday - $15
Saturday - $20
Sunday - $15

Walk-In Admission:
Weekend Pass - $45
Friday - $20
Saturday - $25
Sunday - $20

Important Dates:
Event Submission for Volunteer Judges
Tuesday, December 1 - Sunday, February 28
Attendance Registration
Tuesday, December 1 - Friday, March 25
VIG Event Registration
Monday, February 1 - Friday, March 25
Regular Attendee Event Registration
Monday, February 15 - Friday, March 25
Silent Auction Submission
Tuesday, March 1 - Friday, March 18

Check out our website for more information!
http://www.gaminghoopla.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to another Hoopla and seeing all of the past attendees.

Also looking forward to seeing and meeting many of the new attendees - game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anything further yet known about VIG registration?

Might make a nice Christmas gift!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
Is anything further yet known about VIG registration?

Might make a nice Christmas gift!

Hi - indeed it would! Our VIG registration is scheduled to open with all other attendance registrations, on December 1st. At that time, we will also have finalized the VIG package price and exactly what is included.

Thank you for your interest, and game on!
- The Gaming Hoopla Staff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The 2016 Gaming Hoopla planning is moving along nicely, and we wanted to touch on one topic at this point:

VOLUNTEERS

We have already received some entry forms for volunteering, and are excited about your excitement to help! Please note that we are still evaluating exactly what our volunteer needs will be, and will be looking to start filling those rosters in sometime in late January or February. If you are interested in helping out, please stay tuned for more information!

Thank you, and Happy pending New Year to everyone!
- The Gaming Hoopla staff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Want a chance to get your weekend badge free?!?

2 lucky attendees will get the cost of their badges reimbursed just for preregistering! Anyone who registers before February 1st will be entered into our first drawing to win, then anyone registered before March 1st will be entered into a second drawing to win!

That's right, registering before February 1st gives you two chances to win!

But wait, there's more!

Book your hotel room in our room block before February 1st and be entered to win a new and awesome game!!!

As you may know, the Hoopla gets a discount on our venue for each block of rooms we book. You can help the Hoopla and have the chance to get the new hotness! We haven't picked the game yet because we want to make sure we get the hottest game in February, but we promise it'll be good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...very interested in this gaming hoopla -- but I have a quick question as I haven't really attended many cons [only Gencon] My fiance's (and myself) favorite part (regarding cons] are going around the hall and just demo-ing games.

So, in previous years, do you guys like a small exhibition hall for gaming to demo games from various designers/publishers/companies/etc. or is this more of a playing in an open setting type thing?

Either way, I'll be most likely going just because it sounds like a very fun time [and MATH TRADE!!!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello -

We are glad to hear you are considering attending!

We have very few exhibitors at The Gaming Hoopla, so there is not really an opportunity to demo games in that environment. However, our volunteer judges are kind, personable people who are often as excited about the games they are running as any publisher would be!

So feel free to register to attend, and then watch the event list grow as we approach the Hoopla - then sign yourselves up to play some games! Even if you don't pre-register for many games, there are always fellow gamers there running pick-up games, and of course you can always get something from the Games Library to play. SO MANY OPTIONS!

Game on!

KingD21 wrote:
Hmmmm...very interested in this gaming hoopla -- but I have a quick question as I haven't really attended many cons [only Gencon] My fiance's (and myself) favorite part (regarding cons] are going around the hall and just demo-ing games.

So, in previous years, do you guys like a small exhibition hall for gaming to demo games from various designers/publishers/companies/etc. or is this more of a playing in an open setting type thing?

Either way, I'll be most likely going just because it sounds like a very fun time [and MATH TRADE!!!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
My fiance's (and myself) favorite part (regarding cons] are going around the hall and just demo-ing games.

Oh my goodness, this:
GamingHoopla wrote:
So feel free to register to attend, and then watch the event list grow as we approach the Hoopla - then sign yourselves up to play some games! Even if you don't pre-register for many games, there are always fellow gamers there running pick-up games, and of course you can always get something from the Games Library to play. SO MANY OPTIONS!

Game on!

My first Hoopla was Fall 2014 and my wife and I signed up for 2015 as soon as we could and then signed up for this one again as soon as registration was opened. So many games. Games library is great, and there are so many gaming events happening! It's a great time!

~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Want to help out the Gaming Hoopla in an easy and no cost way?

Sign up for our Street Team and we'll ship out Hoopla flyers, stickers, window clings, and more to you to distribute to your local game groups, social gathering places, and game stores. Let us know when you distribute stuff via social media, and you'll get a free 2016 Hoopla t-shirt!

http://www.gaminghoopla.com/street-team.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Did you know... that getting to The Gaming Hoopla from downtown Chicago is easy as loving gaming?

From our website:

Take the Metra Union Pacific North train to the Waukegan station. Then take the Pace Bus route 565 to Gurnee Mills. From there, the Holiday Inn has a free shuttle that can pick up from the bus stop and bring you to the Hotel. The shuttle is an on-call shuttle, so just call the hotel for pickup. The hotel is directly across the street from Gurnee Mills, but because of the size of the highway, it's not recommended that you try to cross the street on foot.

Let's break our attendance record this year!
- The Gaming Hoopla staff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We have some WINNERS!!!

Congratulations to Jeff Woosley who won our registration drawing and will get his Hoopla weekend badge for FREE!

Also, congrats to Steven May who won our hotel room drawing! Steven wins his choice of T.I.M.E. Stories with the Darcy expansion OR a bundle with Codenames & One Night Werewolf!

Can't wait to see you guys at Hoopla!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[groan]. I used to live near there. A close by con would've been sweet! Oh well, always good to hear more board gaming cons are spreading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
[groan]. I used to live near there. A close by con would've been sweet! Oh well, always good to hear more board gaming cons are spreading!

Sounds like it's time for a weekend trip to your old stomping grounds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
historyguy71 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Sounds like it's time for a weekend trip to your old stomping grounds!
at 2,000+ miles away, it'd take me close to a weekend to get there (although amongst other things, it would've been nice to eat at Sweet Tomatoes again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Want to tell the Hoopla community why YOU ‪#‎hoopla‬?

We are looking for Hoopla attendees to tell us why they Hoopla. We want to know what the gaming community and giving back to help fight cancer means to you. Even if your story is loooong or short, a story about cancer, or why you game, or just about what you like about the Hoopla, we want to hear it!

Check out others' stories and submit your own here http://www.gaminghoopla.com/why-we-hoopla.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I really would like to attend this as it sounds like fun. But I haven't been able to find out what is going on. The event list is almost completely vacant.

What games are going on and when?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tal342 wrote:

I really would like to attend this as it sounds like fun. But I haven't been able to find out what is going on. The event list is almost completely vacant.

What games are going on and when?

The event list should start filling up very soon. We're working with the local Pathfinder folks to get those games scheduled. We've had well over 150 board game events at past Hooplas, so we're confident the schedule will fill out soon.

There's also going to be a Splendor tournament, a yet to be verified Magic: The Gathering tournament run by a FLGS, several special events (details coming soon!), and the MilCoG (Milwaukee Company of Gamers) games library.

If you are into teaching games to others, or want to make sure you get to play certain games, we highly encourage entering them as events after you register!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey guys!!!

What else could anyone want except more gaming?!? That's right, nothing. And we're giving you just that!

We're expanding our hours! We're now staying open for gaming until 3 am on Friday and Saturday, and 5 pm on Sunday. Yup, 8 more hours of gaming!

That's a lot of exclamation points, but we're pretty stoked about it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quick shout out of some upcoming dates...

February 29th is the last day to submit events. Leap year's giving you procrastinators and extra day, but don't wait until the last minute or it might take a couple days to get them approved because of the rush!

March 1st - Lots of stuff!!

The Hoopla Math Trade opens to submit games to trade. Learn more on our website: http://www.gaminghoopla.com/math-trade.html

The Silent Auction item submission begins. While you can just bring your items to the Hoopla and fill out all the submission forms then, it's easier for both us and you if you submit them online ahead of time!

We draw one more free weekend badge from our preregistrants! Make sure if you haven't registered before then that you do for a chance to get your badge cost reimbursed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lewandowski
United States
St. Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed....keep checking the events list... I just submitted 7 events. Things will fill up to a point where you won't know where to turn next as there are so many desirable things to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaming Hoopla
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey guys! If you wanted too long to submit events, have no fear, we've decided to keep event submission open until March 15th!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamingHoopla wrote:

April 1st - 3rd

Just two days to go! Very excited and looking forward to meeting some great people and playing some great games together.

Question for the Hoopla staff!
Friday, April 1, the opening time is listed as 10AM, but the first games also start at 10AM (asking selfishly as I am in one of the 10AM games):
Is registration starting at 10AM also, or can we get there a little earlier?

I've been to a few Hoopla's now, but this is the first one I can actually attend on the first hour of the first day.

Looking forward to Friday!
~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
GamingHoopla wrote:

April 1st - 3rd

Just two days to go! Very excited and looking forward to meeting some great people and playing some great games together.

Question for the Hoopla staff!
Friday, April 1, the opening time is listed as 10AM, but the first games also start at 10AM (asking selfishly as I am in one of the 10AM games):
Is registration starting at 10AM also, or can we get there a little earlier?

I've been to a few Hoopla's now, but this is the first one I can actually attend on the first hour of the first day.

Looking forward to Friday!
~Steve

From past experience as an attendee . . . . . .

I would say there is no need to show up super early. I'd expect a slight wait Friday AM right at the open. You might want to show up say 15 minutes early and see if the volunteers have arrived a tad early to start distributing badges and attendee welcome bags.

IF there is a line, then make sure you ask if there is a separate line for people who pre-registered as pre-reg attendees should flow through the line quicker - no need to make up a badge, collect money, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say that I had a great time at my first Hoopla and will definitely be coming back. I played a lot of great new games and immediately added a few to my collection. Everyone was super friendly and the facility was the perfect size for the event. The event was extremely generous with prizes. Between the door prizes, play-and-win, raffle, and silent auction, there were plenty of opportunities to grab some new games at low-to-no cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.