BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: To Add Or Not To Add? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Analog synthesis - SawMicrobadge: HomosexualMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Female Strategy GamerMicrobadge: For the Crown fan
If a game meets all of the following criteria, do you think it should be marked as "owned" in your collection?
* You like it and play it
* You have all of the components necessary to play it
* You don't own a retail copy of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tricky. I could add a whole lot of trad card games to my collection because I know the rules and have decks of cards, but I haven't bothered.
I'm not sure where the line is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have all of the parts then why not? All you would be missing is the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Analog synthesis - SawMicrobadge: HomosexualMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Female Strategy GamerMicrobadge: For the Crown fan
An example, to make sure we're on the same page:
Lines of Action needs an 8x8 board and 12 pieces/tokens for each of the 2 players. Basically any Chess (or Checkers, for that matter) set has these components.
If I own a Chess set and frequently play Lines of Action on it despite not owning anything directly related to Lines of Action, is it reasonable to add it to my collection as "owned"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed Games
Melody303 wrote:
An example, to make sure we're on the same page:
Lines of Action needs an 8x8 board and 12 pieces/tokens for each of the 2 players. Basically any Chess (or Checkers, for that matter) set has these components.
If I own a Chess set and frequently play Lines of Action on it despite not owning anything directly related to Lines of Action, is it reasonable to add it to my collection as "owned"?
Yes. Yes it is reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mb
If it's not public domain then I wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
I have a couple PnPs that I list as "owned." But they're authorized PnP files. I don't have any home brew games.

I don't think there's a set answer. It's contextual. Various others have offered up some good considerations, though.

I'd agree that adding Lines of Action is reasonable, though. I've done the same with, say, Checkers, which is on the same catch-all "game board" that allows me to play a bunch of others that I care about more, like Chess and Crokinole. For another example, if and when I get a Go set, I'll likely add another 1-2 games that can be played with the same pieces/board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to mark a game as owned, go ahead. It's no skin off my nose. Whatever makes you happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Gray
United States
Astoria
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
If you want to mark a game as owned, go ahead. It's no skin off my nose. Whatever makes you happy.
I could not agree more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
New quest.... Acquire Bryan's nose skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
New quest.... Acquire Bryan's nose skin.
I'm happy to oblige. The price is quite reasonable actually. Geekmail me and we'll set up a paypal transaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the same page as Brian. There's no hard rules how you use the collection function here, so do what works for you.

For me, I generally just choose owned if I do actually own the game. I have a couple of PnP on mine because I have fabricated the components for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh.

I marked having owned Sheepshead and Spades because I play those. I did not mark Poker, even though I play that. I mark only one copy of Cribbage even though I have 8+ boards.

Don't look at me for answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control! We have assumed control! We have assumed control!
Microbadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift System fanMicrobadge: "I hate it when Aztecs force themselves into your hotel room and make you try on belts."Microbadge: Euphoria: Ignorance Is Bliss fanMicrobadge: The Corps is Mother, the Corps is FatherMicrobadge: Dune fan
I'd say if you could trade it with a straight face to someone expecting the game then yes add it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls