Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Mega Civ just arrived yesterday and the bottom layer of the box was split across nearly 50%. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Zimby Mojo fanMicrobadge: Snodcon attendeeMicrobadge: John's (eldonion) flag counting fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Malice fanMicrobadge: Fan of "what's in the box?" with biffta
Not heard of anyone else having this issue. I think you may of just got unlucky.

A solution would be to "glue in" a piece of 3mm ply wood cut to the exact inner dimension over the top of the split.
Ply for that size Would be very inexpensive .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
owen anthony vaughan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
no problem with the box, but i was missing a player mat, 17 instead of the 18. took quite a while to check components, but worth it. Bifta's unboxing and files were perfect. thomas from pegasus sending a mat, great customer service, might be worth contacting him to see if you can get a replacement box. good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Herndon
United States
flag msg tools

I don't have that problem, but my box was poorly assembled on the back left corner.

Unfortunately it is glued tightly so I can't just push it together. I'm trying to figure out how to fix it because all the sharp corners will scratch anything next to it and will eventually chip off. Also, I'm a bit worried about its structural integrity.

I did send an e-mail to Pegasus over a week ago (about this and my misaligned board panel), but I haven't heard back yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Zimby Mojo fanMicrobadge: Snodcon attendeeMicrobadge: John's (eldonion) flag counting fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Malice fanMicrobadge: Fan of "what's in the box?" with biffta
bigal230 wrote:

I don't have that problem, but my box was poorly assembled on the back left corner.

Unfortunately it is glued tightly so I can't just push it together. I'm trying to figure out how to fix it because all the sharp corners will scratch anything next to it and will eventually chip off. Also, I'm a bit worried about its structural integrity.

I did send an e-mail to Pegasus over a week ago (about this and my misaligned board panel), but I haven't heard back yet.
Alex,
That box can be sorted out if you are inclined to do it.
(I have 30 years in building trade so have encountered most things life throws at you with regards materials etc).

You would need some wood glue, a lump hammer and a block of scrap wood (4" X 2" off cut or similar)

Empty your box

Make sure the opposite side of box is on something that won't damage it such as a carpet with newspaper over the top

Squeeze some wood glue into the open joints

Place your off cut block of wood nice and flat over the end that needs closing and wallop it a few times with the lump hammer until the joint us fully closed.

Use a damp rag or wet wipe to clean off excess glue from inside the box and outside. Leave glue to dry out.

This will work - just make sure the block of wood spans the entire box edge to be hit and you strike down the joint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Vlaeminck
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I really have this feeling we are all being far more demanding and careful about the quality of the pieces of this game than for any other game I have ever had shipped.

And it's not only because we paid good money for it, but it feels like we all want "our preciousss" to be purrfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigal230 wrote:

Mine arrived very similar, on the other back corner. Fortunately it was a fairly simple issue of gentle taps with a rubber mallet to force the tabs into place. Unfortunately the box had already suffered a minor split during shipping because the misaligned tabs weakened the structural integrity enough to not remain intact after international shipping.

I considered raising an issue, but the split is just small enough, and probably not a long term integrity problem (now that everything is in place), that I decided to ignore it. But it was definitely disconcerting given the expense paid for the game and that the issue was a construction defect that was obvious and correctable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not at all. I just dont want the game box to have the bottom split apart. Thats not asking too much. I understand this happens, but if I were at a store I woudlnt buy the broken box. What does that do to resale? Is that demanding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheap crack
Trailboy wrote:
No, not at all. I just dont want the game box to have the bottom split apart. Thats not asking too much. I understand this happens, but if I were at a store I woudlnt buy the broken box. What does that do to resale? Is that demanding?
Put it another way. If your new car arrived with scratched paint work it would still function as well as the identical model with a perfect paint job, but would you expect it to have the same resale value?

I don't understand that this should happen as the box should have been rejected at assembly. You need to be given a replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Herndon
United States
flag msg tools
biffta wrote:
bigal230 wrote:

Alex,
That box can be sorted out if you are inclined to do it.
(I have 30 years in building trade so have encountered most things life throws at you with regards materials etc).

You would need some wood glue, a lump hammer and a block of scrap wood (4" X 2" off cut or similar)

Empty your box

Make sure the opposite side of box is on something that won't damage it such as a carpet with newspaper over the top

Squeeze some wood glue into the open joints

Place your off cut block of wood nice and flat over the end that needs closing and wallop it a few times with the lump hammer until the joint us fully closed.

Use a damp rag or wet wipe to clean off excess glue from inside the box and outside. Leave glue to dry out.

This will work - just make sure the block of wood spans the entire box edge to be hit and you strike down the joint.
Thank you. I had been worried that the interlocking finger joint had been glued and that forcing it closed would cause the wood to break. However, it appears that only the seem between the side and bottom panels was glued. So it was not hard to break that seem and then force the joint together as it should have been. I had to re-glue the seems and will need to sand the outside edge. But otherwise it is fixed.

Now I just need to figure out how to organize everything on the inside...

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas from pegasus said that he is speaking with The designers about making some replacements. So we will see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Trailboy wrote:
Given international shipping, yes it is a bit too demanding to desire it to never happen.

Did you pay extra for insurance to cover the risk?

If so, hit up that insurance. If not, you pays your money, you takes your chances as the saying goes.

I am amazed more of these didn't get whacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When did I say I never expected it to happen? Of course it happens. The issue lies in who is responsible and from my experience, as a consumer, the seller is usually responsible. Regardless, Thomas took care of it. There is someone in the U.S. who had an extra box and is shipping it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
Trailboy wrote:
Given international shipping, yes it is a bit too demanding to desire it to never happen.

Did you pay extra for insurance to cover the risk?

If so, hit up that insurance. If not, you pays your money, you takes your chances as the saying goes.

I am amazed more of these didn't get whacked.

I clearly said that I understand this happens. Good thing your not running a business. Is that what you would say? "You spends your moneys, you' a gets whacked!" .. Thats funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.Fatah B.Alwee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine come with its Lid not able to close properly as the hinge was not properly installed. Feel so sad

So basically I can't close the box properly.

Try to fix it but still it came off. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a shame. If you cant get a solution through pegasus, maybe search for similar brass hinges online or at a department store. Also maybe some type of glue would help secure the teeth of the hinges into the wood. Something that works with metal to wood contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came separated as well but I just used a small hammer to bang it back in place.

Did you try that?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.Fatah B.Alwee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
Mine came separated as well but I just used a small hammer to bang it back in place.

Did you try that?

Thx
jonpfl
Thanks for the advice. Not perfect, but it will do.

I used cloth to minimised any direct impact on the wooden box.

Close up

Now can open and close properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grant

Louisiana
msg tools
mb
My box also came with a corner not joined. There was some denting in the cardboard shipping box, so I think it just got banged around a little.

I went over to Home Depot and bought a wood working clamp. I clamped the offending corner and it popped right back into place.

I also had a lid hinge problem. My lid fell off before the packing was finished. The little blade hinges they used are not sufficient for the weight of the lid, I think.

I bought a set of four small brass hinges with small wood screws that wouldn't go all the way though and just replaced what the box came with. Much better.

In retrospect, I kinda wish the designers had kept the box and lowered the price, or alternately, increased the quality of some of the components.

The interior of the box needs some partitions to separate card, chits, etc. I have tried using a small cardboard box for magic cards, but I am not too impressed yet. Anyone else have a tip for orderly packing of all these components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grant

Louisiana
msg tools
mb
On another note, I transported Mega Civ for a gaming weekend, and as I was removing from the trunk....the bottom fell off. Yes, the bottom of the wooden box...fell off.

Please see my entry above where it was delivered with mis-joined corners and the lid fell off, and I replaced the flimsy hinges.

I am now somewhat disgruntled with the big, stupid, box.

I get that the designers were going for a Mega Civ collector-ish thing, and it was a nice idea. But, ultimately, the box costs too much to ship and does not hold up very well. A much better idea would be to switch to a cardboard box (Remember the Hasbro Axis and Allies/Shogun long box?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robertleegrant wrote:
On another note, I transported Mega Civ for a gaming weekend, and as I was removing from the trunk....the bottom fell off. Yes, the bottom of the wooden box...fell off.

Please see my entry above where it was delivered with mis-joined corners and the lid fell off, and I replaced the flimsy hinges.

I am now somewhat disgruntled with the big, stupid, box.

I get that the designers were going for a Mega Civ collector-ish thing, and it was a nice idea. But, ultimately, the box costs too much to ship and does not hold up very well. A much better idea would be to switch to a cardboard box (Remember the Hasbro Axis and Allies/Shogun long box?).
Thats exactly what happened to mine. I ended up wood gluing the hell out of it, and spraying it over with hard coat. The box really is a cheap fragile piece of garbage, but I am hoping after all the work I put into it, it will hold. The last thing I want is the bottom falling off and components falling on the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls