David G.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through Storming Gold three or four times now (face to face, and solo) and haven't come close to an Allied win yet. If Gold was the 'easy' beach, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

There are three conditions for the Allies to win, and accomplishing any one of them is challenging. Take the 'Tertiary task', for example: The commandos need to land on the beach and get to hex 83.007 in order to exit. Those units have their own activation chit, which has a 50% chance of coming out before the Navy chit on the 0900 turn (therefore, there is a 50% chance they will only get one activation in the game during the 1100 turn). In order to have any certainty of having them exit, they need to land within 4 movement points of their objective hex (i.e. hex 81.004). However, if the Germans lob a barrage marker onto that hex (not hard to do if they have a spotter on the hill), the commandos will only make it if they successfully force march. And that assumes *all* enemy units have been cleared from 83.007, as they won't have a chance to assault (they will be in column, so any second action would be conducted one at a time).

This scenario has taught me to better economize command points (since the Allies need 10 remaining at the end in order to win), so I feel like I'm probably maximizing use of the purple fire rating units (who get a 'free' attack during their formation activation), and I've lost the 'knee-jerk' reaction of automatically spending a CP whenever an S? result is rolled. But what other hints do folks have at giving the Allies a shot at the win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Gamer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Pick a game in my "Want to Play" category, and let's play! There's so many to choose from...
badge
Pick a game in my "Want to Play" category, and let's play! There's so many to choose from...
mb
David,

I found Gold to be like a "sliding Puzzle," in that there is a fairly organized set of events that must take place in a certain sequence in order to reach success. This "sequence" can be altered depending upon events as they unfold. Chit draw can profoundly influence these events and hamstring the allied player all on its own, but as far as a "perfect" solution, I'd have to say flexibility to events with a PREPLANNED SET OF EVENTS in mind and a drive to implement them is the key.

Barrage everything German as often as possible (Keep every German head down at all times)

Be mindful of your Non-Barrage marker residue indirect firing units (like Air Points) for key egress locations

Engineers are the best at removing everything

Have units already in column so when they move through a GAP they can come out of column

Move adjacent to non-barraged enemy positions with beefy Armor to block fire as everyone else slides on by.

"Plow the road" for the Commando's

Donate often to the chit draw god
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Those units have their own activation chit, which has a 50% chance of coming out before the Navy chit on the 0900 turn (therefore, there is a 50% chance they will only get one activation in the game during the 1100 turn)
This was errata'ed:

Page 6 (Storming Gold) - the Royal Marines chit is not added to the Mug on the 0700 turn. There is no use for it on the 0700 turn since the Marines can’t land until the 0900 turn. Add the Royal Marines Chit to the mug after the Naval Chit comes out on the 0900 turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The three beach scenarios are all "worst case" scenarios for the landings. You point out several things that are important, conservation of CPs, use of the free purple fire rating in the Div Act and do most of your attacking with the "free" Form Acts.

In the campaign game and other scenarios it isn't so favorable for the Germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips everybody. I feel a little better knowing that the term 'easy' is more applicable to the campaign than to this particular scenario. I had seen the errata, but the significance didn't really sink in until reiterated here. Also, I haven't been landing any units in column, fearing they will gum up the evacuation of the beach. Instead, I've been going into column as needed, and dropping out with a cohesion hit (usually, so I don't take op-fire in a FZ). I'll have to think through that tip a bit more. I also realized the Vassal module doesn't automatically include all of the chits for the 0900 turn, so I've been shorting myself a few activations when I play electronically.

I do have a follow-up question: The German reinforcement B hex is in the corner of the map and a few units start the scenario there. Do they have movement restrictions like all new reinforcements in that hex (i.e. are they prevented from attacking until they can make a legal move out of that hex)? If so, that could make a big difference for the Allies in that section of the map.

I also noticed in the Vassal module that the coastal batteries in this scenario start on the 'Contact Pending' side. Is that intentional, so should those units start the scenario in contact with their off-map leader?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls