Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to "re-purpose" existing minis would this be a worthwhile addition to a purely 2nd edition collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Many hero options open up.

You COULD buy the hero packs individually if you fancy that route. Gives figures and updated cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Crenshaw the Mortificator
msg tools
Microbadge: Earth Reborn fanMicrobadge: Gears of War fanMicrobadge: Descent 2nd Edition fan
yep, I recommend to buy it - you will be able to use many heroes / monsters with Conversion Kit.

just warning: some heroes in Conversion Kit were updated in following separate packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebastian Crenshaw wrote:

just warning: some heroes in Conversion Kit were updated in following separate packs.
Many of them. We've had 6 H&M packs released, and there are 2 more that have been announced (Treaty of Champions and Stewards of the Secret) so that's 32/48 updated heroes and all but a couple of the monsters.

At this point, if you plan to buy the hero and monster packs, the conversion kit is really not a great idea. If you're not planning to get the hero and monster packs, the conversion kit is a great alternative (especially if you don't mind using substitute minis.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the Conversion Kit is still one of the best "bang for your buck" propositions. It opens up a huge number of options for both Hero and Overlord, and you can use other figures as proxies just fine.

The Hero and Monster Collections are higher quality, with plastic figures and updated stats/abilities on heroes/monsters that needed tweaks, but you'll pay more to get all of those than you would for just the Conversion Kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it was the best first expansion to buy, mainly because the 25 monsters open up a completely new strategic game for the OL.

Imo it's a great addition if you want more monsters and don't want to spend more than 70$ on a few h&m packs. While the monsters are mostly fine, the heroes are a mixed bag and I guess half of the heroes in the CK are imbalanced (some are a bit too strong, some are a bit too weak, only 2-3 are really broken if I remember correctly).

Now, after getting both big box expansions, LotW and MoR, I still think it's a good purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you want to paint all the figures and/or you have a lot of figures from different games, it is a good investment.

On the other hand you can possibly visit some Descent wiki and you can find the monster and hero stats there as well. When you do so, you can skip the investment part and play with the same monsters as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. I found a really good deal for the 1st Ed plus the conversion kit.

As far as painting minis go that's something I tried but quickly found I don;t have the time or patience for.

I really wish a cottage industry would spawn in China for dirt cheap mini painting, kinda like the gold farmers for MMOs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got the conversion kit, and wow, 48 heroes, 25 monsters. all cool.

I have hundreds of mini's from the old Mage Knight game I will repurpose for this, maybe remove their bases; and some more from the D&D adventure system games and the dungeon command games.
All in all, this was a great purchase, I think.

I've read some of the heroes are broken, anyone knows which are the most broken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls