Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am working my way through scenarios... in fact, this game might be the first to actually make me *write* a session report... historic!

But to avoid looking stupid writing a session report that has rule flaws, I want to confirm some things. They're probably obvious to others, but I'd still like confirmation or correction.

1.) Thrall - Easy movement. Moves 1, only through open hatches (or unrevealed tiles).
If moves, no attacking. Got it.

2.) Saucerman move wherever they please, no matter what the hatch state is (UNless it's sealed or destroyed).

2a.) Do Saucerman move as close as they can to the closest rocketeer? Or do they move only until they're within range, and then stay there without advancing further?

2b.) Saucerman shoot to their range wherever they please, no matter what the hatch state is between them (in some ways they're like ghosts). Unless, the hatch is sealed or destroyed).

3.) If an alien is equally distant to two rocketeers, they'll choose the player that moved last to move toward.

3a.) There are no aardvarks in the game, correct?

4.) Is an alien is equally distant to the closest rocketeer but his movement is unrevealed tiles, then a dice roll determines which direction to travel.

5.) Saucerman Leaders move two, and take all the saucerman on their originating tile and any intermediary tile with them. Those saucerman moved that turn by this leader do not 're-move'. As above, do leaders move as close as they can always, even if they're already in range, or do they go to the closest range but no farther?

6.) There is on Death Star in the game, correct?

7.) Leeches are easy. Move 1, attack if possible at range of 1. Can't waltz through closed hatches.

8.) Spiders. Kind of a topic unto itself, but I think I get the gist. Spiders move as far as their number, and any spider who hasn't been allocated for movement is allocated for attacking.

So if a spider in tile A moves to join two spiders in tile B, They have "three" movement/attack points, but one of them is used up. All three can then move another space and one spider can attack, or move two spaces and none of them can attack. Is that even close to right?

9.) Are you *sure* there are no aardvarks in the game? I could have sworn I saw one momentarily at one point in mission #2.

10.) Brain in a jar seems straightforward, as does Sentinel. Other than the general "how close to they get" question, seems like the only other curiosity is how damage is tracked: do you put a red cube on them to show damage?

Thanks for the help, and insightful responses I've already received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saucermen and Leaders move until they are in range, then attack.

Destroyed hatches are always considered open.

No aardvarks.

You are correct in all your other interpretations, including the movement and attacks of Bugs; you can just treat it as one action point per Bug, but one action point moves all the Bugs in one space.

This aardvark... are you sure you didn't see it in scenario three... maybe on the Monsters from the Id tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the speedy confirmation/correction!

Ok, so sealed is the only "blocker" for saucermen or saucy leaders.

Saucermen/Leaders only close to firing range, they don't rush in and sidle up to the rocketeers (which makes sense, their firepower doesn't change based on distance).

Well, the good news is that there wasn't a ton we did wrong then in scenario two. Yay! Well, other than lose, but hey...

Quote:
This aardvark... are you sure you didn't see it in scenario three... maybe on the Monsters from the Id tile?
*snaps fingers* That's it! it must have been cued too early by the stage manager and made a quick appearance in Scenario #2 before realizing its mistake and returning to await Scenario #3! Mystery 'solved'.

(Love the Monsters from the Id reference).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1.) Yes.

2.) Yes, but I think you meant to write, "Unless it's sealed or locked." (Anyone can move through a destroyed hatch).

2a.) "Do Saucerman move as close as they can to the closest rocketeer?" NO
"Or do they move only until they're within range, and then stay there without advancing further?" YES. They move "toward the nearest Rocketeer with the goal of reaching a tile from which it can attack." (Pg 11)

2b.) Yes. And it's easier to simply say that they can attack through closed hatches - doesn't matter if the hatch is sealed or not. (They can't move through a locked or sealed hatch, but they can shoot through one). (Pg 27). (And remember a destroyed hatch is open).

3.) Yes. But you might want to train yourself to adhere to the wording in the rules (will choose the Rocketeer with the highest numbered Order marker), instead of simply saying the player that moved last. Why? I'm sure there are some edge cases where the last player to move may not necessarily be the same as the Rocketeer with the highest Order number. Also consider that it would've been much simpler to write the rules the way you said it, but they chose a more complicated method to say, "last player to move". Usually added complication exists in rules to cover edge scenarios or to allow for expansions.

3a.) LoL!

4.) Yes. If both equally distant paths will take the alien through unscanned tiles, then choose randomly. (Pg 11)

5.) Yes to the first part. The second part is the same answer as above. Look at pg 11 of the Rules. The Movement Protocols described there apply to all aliens except for bugs.

6.) Huh? Are you're talking about the alien's "Invisible Planet" introduced in the 3rd to last scenario? If so, then Yeah, if you want to call it a Death Star, then sure, why not?

7.) No. Leeches attack at range "0" (pg 28). Everything else is correct.

8.) Yes. And Yes.

9.) How come this sounds like a trolling question?

10.) You can do that. I, OTOH, put red cubes next to them when they're placed on the board so you can take a red cube for each hit inflicted. So for instance with the Sentinal, I'll put THREE red cubes next to him when he's placed. And after he's taken three hits, there are no more red cubes with him so then just as with all the other aliens on the board, the next hit he takes means he's dead.

EDIT: I was typing the above while Tim posted his reply. Looks like one more question to clarify:
Auzette wrote:
Ok, so sealed is the only "blocker" for saucermen or saucy leaders.
Don't forget, "Locked". Locked and sealed are two different states with different rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

2b.) Yes. And it's easier to simply say that they can attack through closed hatches - doesn't matter if the hatch is sealed or not. (They can't move through a locked or sealed hatch, but they can shoot through one). (Pg 27). (And remember a destroyed hatch is open).
No alien can shoot through a locked or sealed hex. See page 13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leeches can only attack in their own hex... for some reason, I read "range one" as "range zero".

Saucermen and Leaders can fire through any hatch, EXCEPT those that are Locked or Sealed. (Only the Professor can Lock; only the Heat Ray can seal [or Destroy]).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

No alien can shoot through a locked or sealed hex. See page 13.
Good catch. I stand corrected. I was using the wording on page 27, which by omission infers they can. But the LoS rule on page 13, I agree, should override that.

Page 27:
Saucermen Movement: "They can move through closed hatches, but not locked or sealed hatches".
Saucermen Attack: "They may attack through closed hatches." (Notice that, "but not locked or sealed" was omitted, which I assumed was by design).

Anyway, the LoS rule has priority, and besides, it turns out the rules on page 27 are only summaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
(Notice that, "but not locked or sealed" was omitted, which I assumed was by design).

Anyway, the LoS rule has priority, and besides, it turns out the rules on page 27 are only summaries.
Yup. They likely could have left everything about locked or sealed hatches from the summary as they are covered by a blanket rule for all aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
3.) If an alien is equally distant to two rocketeers, they'll choose the player that moved last to move toward.
bgm1961 wrote:
3.) Yes. But you might want to train yourself to adhere to the wording in the rules (will choose the Rocketeer with the highest numbered Order marker), instead of simply saying the player that moved last. Why? I'm sure there are some edge cases where the last player to move may not necessarily be the same as the Rocketeer with the highest Order number. Also consider that it would've been much simpler to write the rules the way you said it, but they chose a more complicated method to say, "last player to move". Usually added complication exists in rules to cover edge scenarios or to allow for expansions.
Examples of the edge cases where the specific wording can be important ("highest numbered Order marker") would be:
If a Rocketeer acts using a Command AP from the Captain or moves using a Move Out overkill from the First Officer after all other Rocketeer actions have been taken (but before play progresses to the Alien Turn), this Rocketeer's "out-of-turn" action would not draw the Aliens' attention away from a Rocketeer with a higher numbered Order marker.
Another example is the effect of the event Time Distortion!, which allows Aliens to immediately move (though not to attack) before the Rocketeers finish their turn; any remaining Order markers are immediately assigned, so that the Alien movements are deterministic (...but this can - and often will - result in an alien moving toward a Rocketeer who has yet to move rather than the most recent Rocketeer to move.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone, for the poignant clarifications. You are all wise, kind, and generous.

I appreciate the examples of being precise about wording. I can see where those two situations noted above would have made my coarse wording problematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few extra things to add that you didn't ask:

1. A War Thrall will pick up a Brain-in-a-Jar and carry it with him/her. Go turn off off that device soon as you can.

2a. Also keep in mind during the Time Distortion event all aliens including Saucermen only move until they are within attack range then stop.

7. Leeches' overkill is to spawn a new Leech and the newly spawned Leech will also attack the same turn. And so as long as they keep geting an overkill.

8. Bugs (you said spiders) will only spawn at the closest vent (including the Rocketeers' starting tile if there is a vent). If there are no vents on scanned/revealed tiles then the bugs cannot get in.

9. BiaJ has 2 health, but you can only attack the first health and then you have to use an IQ roll to subdue it. Which means you have to be in the same tile to subdue it.
*I have read on another thread of a special case but I not sure if a BiaJ can be killed with a shot from a Rocketeer and his overkill ability.*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bogusgig wrote:

9. BiaJ has 2 health, but you can only attack the first health and then you have to use an IQ roll to subdue it. Which means you have to be in the same tile to subdue it.
*I have read on another thread of a special case but I not sure if a BiaJ can be killed with a shot from a Rocketeer and his overkill ability.*
Nope. You can certainly kill a BiaJ by hitting it twice. You can also subdue it after it has taken a point of damage. Either work. The rules are pretty clear on that and it has been clarified in another thread here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
Nope. You can certainly kill a BiaJ by hitting it twice. You can also subdue it after it has taken a point of damage. Either work. The rules are pretty clear on that and it has been clarified in another thread here.
I get that the BiaJ can be killed with the overkill on the same attack. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1454342/can-you-kill-bra... but what happens if you miss the overkill and that leaves the BiaJ with only one health? The way I read it is if the BiaJ is down to one health you have to go into the same tile to subdue the BiaJ to take it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bogusgig wrote:

I get that the BiaJ can be killed with the overkill on the same attack. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1454342/can-you-kill-bra... but what happens if you miss the overkill and that leaves the BiaJ with only one health? The way I read it is if the BiaJ is down to one health you have to go into the same tile to subdue the BiaJ to take it out.
You are assuming a rule where none exists. The BiaJ is handled the same as all other aliens in terms of damage and hit points. No rule states otherwise. There is a rule that states the BiaJ can be subdued if first reduced to one hit point. The existence of that rule does not mean that the BiaJ is not able to be killed via having its hit points reduced to zero.

The thread you link to says exactly what I'm saying. It also has nothing to do with killing a brain via overkills on the same attack that damages the brain. Did you mean to link to a different thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks for clearing that up, I went back and read the rules slowly to get it this time:

Quote:
Hit Points: 2. When reduced to 1 HP they can be targeted by a Subdue Brain-in-a-Jar IQ Action.
*returns this thread back to normal viewing control*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim has it right. A Brain-in-a-Jar has 2 HP and can be killed normally with two successful attacks.

Alternately, once it has be reduced to 1 HP in a previous attack, you can attempt to subdue it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls