Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Hengist» Forums » Rules

Subject: New Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Why don't half a dozen BGGers create new rules for this game? Players could then vote for or choose the rules set they like best.

(If I could get my hands on a free copy, I'd be happy to take a crack at it.)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Le Havre fanMicrobadge: At the Gates of Loyang fanMicrobadge: Ora et Labora fanMicrobadge: Uwe says...
Re: New Rules!
And here I thought Uwe had actually released new rules. shake
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: New Rules!
And the award for worst topic title ever goes to ......
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Boyce
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Heavy Cardboard podcast fanMicrobadge: I love Uwe Rosenberg!Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fan
Re: New Rules!
Player77 wrote:
And the award for worst topic title ever goes to ......
Opens thread. Closes thread. Goes back to sorting the rules out...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Heavy Games fanMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Brain burner fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls and One Boy
Re: New Rules!
asfhgwt wrote:
Why don't half a dozen BGGers create new rules for this game? Players could then vote for or choose the rules set they like best.

(If I could get my hands on a free copy, I'd be happy to take a crack at it.)
Are you proposing a clarifying rule set or just using the components to come up with a new game altogether? Based on the feedback on the game, seems like the latter would be a more worthwhile exercise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Re: New Rules!
Hengist looked like a must-buy for me, but based on the swarm of negative comments and reviews here, I'm proposing a contest of sorts to informally redesign the game.

It's hard for me to actually purchase the game at this point, but offhand I wonder if changing the "wild card" rules to the below might be a place to start:

When drawn, this card is not taken in hand, and instead immediately moves the boat and allows the player who drew it to use the spy action.

Idea: this makes boat movement random, reduces the luck of drawing these cards to just an immediate spy action, and eliminates playing wild cards from the hand (making it harder to get the cards you want).

(BTW, I'll gladly accept the award for worst topic title. What's my prize?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: New Rules!
You've won the opportunity to change it into something decent. Dropping the ! would be a good start. Adding a ? would be even much nicer. That way, people won't think there are new rules to use.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite game is Gaia Project
Avatar
Microbadge: Maracaibo fanMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) fanMicrobadge: All Your Base Are Belong to Us!
Re: New Rules!
asfhgwt wrote:
When drawn, this card is not taken in hand, and instead immediately moves the boat and allows the player who drew it to use the spy action.

Idea: this makes boat movement random, reduces the luck of drawing these cards to just an immediate spy action, and eliminates playing wild cards from the hand (making it harder to get the cards you want).
You should be allowed to choose to gain a lost raiding party back. How else would you do that? But still: that would really make it hard to get a lost party back. You can't keep an explorer on hand for where you need it. I'm not sure if this would make the game better...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Re: New Rules!
max bredow wrote:
asfhgwt wrote:
When drawn, this card is not taken in hand, and instead immediately moves the boat and allows the player who drew it to use the spy action.

Idea: this makes boat movement random, reduces the luck of drawing these cards to just an immediate spy action, and eliminates playing wild cards from the hand (making it harder to get the cards you want).
You should be allowed to choose to gain a lost raiding party back. How else would you do that? But still: that would really make it hard to get a lost party back. You can't keep an explorer on hand for where you need it. I'm not sure if this would make the game better...
I don't know -- discard three cards? I don't have the game, so can't really work it out at this time.

Meanwhile, I'll change the ! to a ? in the Subject field.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls