Hide
6 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Purchasing Modelling Supplies for KD:M in Japan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
Microbadge: Franz Kafka fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom fanMicrobadge: Harapeko (Maximum the Hormone fan)Microbadge: Premium and Boutique Games fan
I find myself in the strangely elated/painful position of receiving shipping notification of my core game pre-order to my brother's place in Australia while being stuck in Japan and not likely to move back until late February at the earliest.

I have been thinking about taking up miniature painting (and building for that matter) for some time now, so to take my mind off the wait I was thinking to get together some of the supplies I will need, and maybe get some practice in on some Bandai Plan Models or something so that I don't destroy my KD:M minis straight out of the box.

Being in Japan, I was wondering if this would mean I could pick up some quality supplies for cheaper (i.e. minus the "Australia Tax") than I would back home. Can anyone could point me towards any brands or products that would be good for a beginner such as myself? I've seen Tamiya getting quite a few recommendations re: paints etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ColoradoMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Deftones fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fan
I use Tamiya plastic cement and would recommend it. I find that it is forgiving enough for beginners and has a strong bond once it sticks. I also use Tamiya's filing kit, which has 3 different metal files (one is flat, one is cylindrical and the last one I don't use much). Overall, I like Tamiya's products and would recommend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: I wait to open Secret Santa gifts!Microbadge: "TAKE SIX MEAT DAMAGE, FROWNY EURODUDE!"Microbadge: L5R Phoenix Clan
I'm another one for saying the Tamiya glue is pretty good. It comes in a small clear pot with a white cap. I had some friends over there that swore by Tamiya paints and supplies, which you can find at almost any hobby store. Games Workshop is pretty easy to find too. If you can't find their products you can call or fax them and they'll ship anywhere in Japan.
Book Centre Quest is where I was buying a lot of brushes over there. It's more of an art store so I was able to get smaller brushes than I could find in my part of Canada.
A couple of things to remember if you're looking to buy there and ship to Australia:
1) You have to mail paints, preferably via surface.
2) Any spray primers or spray products you will not be able to ship.

I hope this gets you started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
Microbadge: Franz Kafka fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom fanMicrobadge: Harapeko (Maximum the Hormone fan)Microbadge: Premium and Boutique Games fan
@dorktron2000, @Svengaard, thank you both for the speedy and comprehensive replies! I'll have a look around the local model shops and see what they have re: Tamiya stuff.

Svengaard wrote:

A couple of things to remember if you're looking to buy there and ship to Australia:
1) You have to mail paints, preferably via surface.
2) Any spray primers or spray products you will not be able to ship.
That is also a huge help, thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Portal fan - Aperture Science: we do what we must, because we canMicrobadge: Shogi fanMicrobadge: I Love BGG!Microbadge: Serpent's Tongue fan
Yes Tamiya tools are great. I always pick some up when I'm in Japan. If you are near Tokyo check out Giant Hobby in Koenji. They play lots of different miniature wargames and the owner has even created and published his own miniature games (the only ones I'm aware of from Japan). If anyone is going to have the supplies your looking for it would be them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Platinum Folding@Home donatorMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fan
You should be able to find a Winsor 7 kolinsky sable brush in Japan too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls