1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

Codenames» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF #38 Oklahoma Sheep Lovers vs. Lady and the Tramp rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah
msg tools
badge
Well behaved women don't defeat empires.
mbmbmbmbmb
THE ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN

N/A&N/A

VS.

United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment, at the beginning, where we could have said -- no. But somehow we missed it.
mbmbmbmb
&
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rules

Codenames is a team-based party game with limited communication between a team's captain and the rest of the team. The captain changes from round to round.

At the start of each round, each team will nominate a captain. A 5x5 grid of words (25), will be laid out in front of all players, and the team's captains will be told secret information about those words, which they will need to convey, with limited communication methods, to their teammates.

I will randomly generate as assignment of four different colors to the 25 words in that round, with the follow numbers of colors: 9 Blue, 8 Red, 7 White, 1 Black. I will then assign randomly at the start of the game a color to each team (so Team 1 will be Blue in round 1 and Team 2 will be Red in round one, then teams will swap colors for round 2, etc.). I will then GeekMail both team captains the assignment of each word to its color via GeekMail, so that both captains know this secret information but the other team members do not. All the other players know are the 25 words in the grid.

Each team's turn is broken up into two steps: giving a clue, and pointing at words.

1. Giving a clue. On a team's turn, the captain must only say one word and one number. For instance, they might say, "safari 3." That means that there are three words out in the grid that are related to the word safari. They can say ONLY those two things: one word and one number. They must bold this to make it clear that is their official clue. After that, they are done talking for that turn (minus idle chit-chat). The only restriction of the word portion of the clue is that it cannot be one of the words in the 5x5 grid, nor any sub-word or super-word of those words (eg, if "snake" is a word in the grid, "snakes" is not a valid clue).

2. Pointing at words. Now the rest of team must select up to three words to guess at, one at a time. They can stop pointing out words at any time (and don't even need to point to a single word if they don't feel comfortable doing so). Players must bold this pointing action to make it official (eg, "point to elephant"). They can only point at up to 3 words on their turn (because the clue used the number 3). Once they point to a word, the moderator or one of the captains reveals the color of that word. If the word is the color of the team, the team may continue guessing words (up to the number given in the clue). If the color of the word is either White, or the other team's color, the turn immediately ends and the other team takes a turn. If the color is Black, then the round immediately ends and the other team wins the round.
3. Gelrod and Jared cant win.

The first team to point at all 9 (or 8) of their words wins the round.

First team to win three rounds wins.

Banners
Blue Team
Blue Spymaster
Red Team
Red Spymaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone actually from Oklahoma here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Is anyone actually from Oklahoma here?
Gelrod and Jared are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
I am from Texas, an adjoining state. Let me know if Oklahoma needs any assistance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JARED IS UP. Let the chaos begin.

Jared and ortho will be giving clues for round 1.

Round #1
Jared & gelrod vs ortho & Sarah
Remaining:
9 Red sugar
8 Blue

Ice
Compound
Tap
Pan
Chick

Pole
Note
Back
Part
Sound

Kiwi
Scientist
Disease
Missile
Pitch

Conductor
Mole
Nut
Worm
Penguin

School
Fly
Spot
Mount
Stick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaredW25 wrote:
Where's my grid?
Ortho is slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment, at the beginning, where we could have said -- no. But somehow we missed it.
mbmbmbmb
JaredW25 wrote:
Where's my grid?
I'm trying to create one where the maximum # of your words are dangerously similar to the kill word, which takes time.

(Alternately, I'm working and don't have time to fetch Codenames from my closet to get a grid. I'll grab it when I eat lunch in like an hour. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, I shit talk a lot during Codenames. There's a reason gelrod and I are guessing at the same time. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now tied every word on that board in my head to the word hooker. Gelrod knows hookers well so he might be good at this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
Point to pole.
He said hooker, not stripper.. whistle

What hooker do you see carrying around a pole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
Hooker 4.

Pole, Tap, Chick, Nut, Mount, Stick

Probably shouldn't have done pole.

Tap, Chick, Nut, Mount
You are missing a lot of words. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget penguin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
SarahBoBara wrote:
gelrod wrote:
Point to pole.
He said hooker, not stripper.. whistle

What hooker do you see carrying around a pole?
Wrong kind of pole, sarah.
But in your case wouldn't he be more likely referring to worm than pole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaredW25 wrote:
Pole is a miss.
We are doing one at a time. It only counts when he bolds it and points to it. He can ramble on about his thoughts which might help you to see where his mind is.

For example, in a real life game where my partner was talking about pointing at one word (that was the black word) so the next turn I had to waste my turn to clue them not to touch that word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Round #1
Remaining:
9 Red
8 Blue sugar

Ice
Compound
Tap
Pan
Chick

Pole
Note
Back
Part
Sound

Kiwi
Scientist
Disease
Missile
Pitch

Conductor
Mole
Nut
Worm
Penguin

School
Fly
Spot
Mount
Stick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
SarahBoBara wrote:
JaredW25 wrote:
Pole is a miss.
We are doing one at a time. It only counts when he bolds it and points to it. He can ramble on about his thoughts which might help you to see where his mind is.

For example, in a real life game where my partner was talking about pointing at one word (that was the black word) so the next turn I had to waste my turn to clue them not to touch that word.
I always felt there was a loophole here where you could say "if the answers are exactly x, y, z make the next word plural"
I have mentioned things like that before but I am pretty sure the rules dictate things like that are off limits. It does say you can give a clue and say 0 which indicates none of your words match that clue. I had to give the guy "dryer 0" so he wouldn't touch washer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
SarahBoBara wrote:
JaredW25 wrote:
Pole is a miss.

I always felt there was a loophole here where you could say "if the answers are exactly x, y, z make the next word plural"
Yeah, that kind of stuff is illegal. Well, actually, not sure if the rulebook specifically says you can't do what you just suggested, but it seems against the spirit of the game.

The rules basically say that the clues should pertain to the meaning of the words.

You can't give the clue Five: 4 if it so happens that of the words remaining, only yours have 5 letters. Or the clue B: 3 to tie Bow, Bug, and Bed together.

You can't use the number itself as a clue, like Money: 8 to get Bank, Octopus, and Spider.

You need to play in English, pretty much. The example the rulebook gave was if you had Apple and Berlin as words, you could say Strudel:2, but you couldn't say Apfel:2. If the foreign word could reasonably be used in an English conversation, it's good. Otherwise, not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
grease: 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
And putting the board on Page 2 so we don't have to scroll back...

Round #1
Remaining:
9 Red
8 Blue sugar

Ice
Compound
Tap
Pan
Chick

Pole
Note
Back
Part
Sound

Kiwi
Scientist
Disease
Missile
Pitch

Conductor
Mole
Nut
Worm
Penguin

School
Fly
Spot
Mount
Stick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
point at pan

I really want this to be related to the movie but I don't see lightning on the word list. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SarahBoBara wrote:
point at pan

I really want this to be related to the movie but I don't see lightning on the word list. cry
Pan is Blue. Blue team can guess again if they choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am leaning toward stick as in grease sticks to the pan and is sticky. I could maybe see compound. Hmm. Talking/typing out loud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
SarahBoBara wrote:
I am leaning toward stick as in grease sticks to the pan and is sticky. I could maybe see compound. Hmm. Talking/typing out loud!
This one is easy, Sarah. I can't believe you're struggling.
OK, 'pole'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
ortho_ wrote:
gelrod wrote:
SarahBoBara wrote:
This one is easy, Sarah. I can't believe you're struggling.
OK, 'pole'.
Go smoke a pole, ortho. Anyways, are you supposed to talk? Is this a DQ?
I was just going to day *cough* pole *cough*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[point at stick]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |