Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Faith Ufferman
United States
Apopka
FL
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Christian
I was just talking with a friend who lived in Taiwan for a year. She was telling me about a card game she played there called "Three Warring Kings" or something similar. She said the players received one of four roles: spy, rebel, king, and I don't remember if the last one was knight, loyalist, subject...something along those lines. The spy wants to kill everybody. The rebel only wants to kill the king. The loyalist wants to protect the king, and I don't recall if the king wants to kill the rebel or just not die. There are also powers in the game. She says she'd love to own it except that the game she played was written in Chinese. The English speakers kept having to ask the game teacher which powers their characters had.

On a whim, I think it would be cool if I could get my hands on an English copy of the game, or one like it, as a Christmas gift for her. Does anyone know if one is available, or what English game might be the closest match?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a tons of games that do something similar. In the last few years, there has been a flood of hidden-identity games, and they all seem to be a variant of these same kinds of characters. You can look through any of the following:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf - There are several different "one-night" themes now, all represented in different games, i.e. One Night Revolution.
The Resistance: Avalon - You have to have at least 5 players, but there is a plethora of special characters similar to the types of identities you're talking about.
BANG! The Dice Game - This one is based on dice-combat a la Yahtzee rules. But there are hidden identities. There's a Sheriff who has deputies, and one guy who acts like a Deputy until he's the only one left, then he wants to kill the Sheriff. Then there are Bandits (Rebels?), they want to kill the Sheriff; etc. etc.

I don't know of one that uses Kings, Loyalists, and Rebels. But the above mentioned are the same things, with different themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the game you're referring to BANG!, but it is re-themed as a Wild west game...Sheriff wants to eliminate outlaws, outlaws want to kill the sheriff, the deputy wants to protect the sheriff and there a renegade who wants to kill everyone and become the next sheriff...You get 16 roles as well with a variety of life points and special powers....one of the really fun games that I've played....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheelawolf wrote:
I was just talking with a friend who lived in Taiwan for a year. She was telling me about a card game she played there called "Three Warring Kings" or something similar. She said the players received one of four roles: spy, rebel, king, and I don't remember if the last one was knight, loyalist, subject...something along those lines. The spy wants to kill everybody. The rebel only wants to kill the king. The loyalist wants to protect the king, and I don't recall if the king wants to kill the rebel or just not die. There are also powers in the game. She says she'd love to own it except that the game she played was written in Chinese. The English speakers kept having to ask the game teacher which powers their characters had.

On a whim, I think it would be cool if I could get my hands on an English copy of the game, or one like it, as a Christmas gift for her. Does anyone know if one is available, or what English game might be the closest match?
Legends of the Three Kingdoms

There's paste over translated text available at sanguoshaenglish.blogspot.com. Alternatively if you google for english SanGuoSha, you'll get it too.

And yes, BANG! is the closest game to this in english.

You're welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Faith Ufferman
United States
Apopka
FL
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Christian
You're thanked! laugh

The SanGuoSha site is helpful, to get an idea of what she's familiar with. I'll ask her about that name, and look into Bang! and see if she'd care for the theme. I've played Bang! The Dice Game but not the card game yet, so it didn't click when she was describing her game. I've also played ONUW and Resistance (the base game), which I agree are good examples of the genre.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! does have some reskins too. I havent played it but maybe its another reskin like Samurai Sword?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls