Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today my girlfriend and I finally played Magic Realm again after a loooooong time of only playing the game with RealmSpeak. I've recently managed to find a copy of the game, but I left the monster counters unpunched and used the ones from my home made copy (printed from http://www.magicrealm.org/components/ ). They look great and have all the necessary information on them, which makes the game more playable.

This was also our first game with Magic.

I chose the Elf with Persuade and Control Bats. And my girlfriend chose the Woods Girl and Peace with Nature. In the end the only spell we actually used was Persuade, to make the Rogues friendly for one day. Thanks to that, they sold us a work horse for only twice the normal price (20)

My VPs were: 1 GT, 2 Fame, 1 Notoriety, 1 Gold. Hers were: 2 Fame, 2 Notoriety, 1 Gold.

We started in the Inn at the Dark Valley. I stayed with the Rogues (to buy the horse) while The Woods Girl went to explore the Cliff that was very close. There she found the Vault which she couldn't open right now. Then we met on the way to the Border Land which was nearby. Our plan was to cross it and head towards the Deep Woods, where she had a great advantage if treasure could be found.

Right after crossing the caves of the Border Land, there was the Lair, with no dragon in sight. We decided to stop and have a look. We were quite lucky and managed to find almost all its treasures. The best finds were the 7 Leages Boots (me), the Golves of Strength and the Belt of Strength (her). The boots and the gloves gave us both the hability to open the vault, which from out current position was easy to reach.

So we arrived there and we opened it. The troll wasn't nearby, so we could loot it with no worries. Amongst other things, I found the Toadstool Circle, but decided not to risk searching it. The Woods Girl found the Lucky charm that would make the game much easier for her from then on (lucky her )

With the treasures we got, the only thing we needed was to kill some monsters to get fame and notoriety. We decided to head back to the Border Land, this time choosing the path that would take us to the Deep Woods. Using the horse and the boots, plus my extra hide phase, we quickly arrived at our destination. We also found some goblins on the way and we took care of them quickly from a safe hiding place. They never knew what hit them...

Luckily for us, in the Deep Woods, there was the Shrine (again with no Demon in sight). Only a snake bothered to show up while we looted the place for treasure. Only this time I wasn't very lucky and found the remains of the thief which gave me a squeak curse. I decided then to go to the Chapel to get it removed. This way the Woods Girl would be able to keep searching without me attracting monsters.

After having the nice folks at the chapel rid me of the curse, I decided it'd be worth to explore the High Pass that was very near, while she did some exploring on her own at the Crag (which was right next to the Deep Woods). Later we could join up again and share our findings.

Then something quite amazing happened: I found the Lost City and she found the Lost Castle, all in the same turn . At the same time, the goblins decided to start prowling, showing up in both places. We managed to kill 6 of them each with the ambush tactic. This gave us all the Notoriety and Fame we needed. I also managed to get cursed again (Disgust) after finding the moldy skeleton, but a trip to the Chapel fixed that for a second time.

So, we finally met at the Chapel, where the order was happy to buy most of our treasures and we got the gold we both needed to win. After this we decided to end the game with a whole week left. We had fulfilled our requisites and it was getting a bit late.

Our final scores were: Woods Girl 15, Elf 9. She did very well thanks to all the extra gold she got (about 150) and the fame and notoriety. I got less gold and not so much extra fame and notoriety, but still did pretty good.

This is what the board looked like at the end:

Conclusion: We had lots of fun with this session. We were quite lucky with our monster rolls and the treasures we got, so in the end we easily managed to get our VPs. The realm can be so hard on the poor characters some times, but today it wasn't much, and it was FUN . Also, the set up took me about 40 minutes and the actual game lasted about 2 hours. This was with some searching through the rules as I'm definitely no expert and still have a lot to learn.

Playing time is an issue with my girlfriend, as she doesn't normally like to play a game for more than 2 hours (3 maximum) and she's been reluctant to play MR again because of it. Today I managed to prove to her that MR doesn't take so much time to play (especially as you get the hang of the rules and setup). We'll sure be playing this more often from now on

Right now I feel like rising my rating for this game, but of course, I can't because 10 is the maximum possible... Surprisingly, she said that even though she enjoyed the game, she does enjoy Merchants of Venus more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblins shouldn't show up in the crag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.