Phil K
msg tools
I ordered 2 force awakens sets because I heard that was the newest one and that has the stronger ships and better design. However I heard that the normal core has different pilots but weaker ships. But I heard it may be worth it for the different pilots. My concern is if I made a big mistake by getting 2 force awakens instead of 1 of each? What do you guys think? Was 2 force awakens a good idea? Or would it have been better to get 1 of each instead? Or does it really not make much of difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont fret over it. It's great to have 2 FA sets. But get an original too while you can. They can be had fairly cheaply now but may soon be difficult in the future because surely no more will be made. It's got some cool TIE Fighter pilots and hey, c'mon! It's got Luke!
Welcome to the awesome Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures universe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of each might have been the better spread for variety's sake. If they haven't arrived yet, maybe you can exchange one of the unopened FA sets for one of the originals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Ya I was thinking about that but I wonder if that is possible. I will ask my FLGS and see if they will do that but I'm not sure they will exchange something that is not from their store. I really hope they do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
They can be had fairly cheaply now but may soon be difficult in the future because surely no more will be made.
Pretty sure they are going to keep making the original core set for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan parker
Wales
montgomery
powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of each, I would recommend it the aces are worth getting and of course r2d2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowhawk720 wrote:
Ya I was thinking about that but I wonder if that is possible. I will ask my FLGS and see if they will do that but I'm not sure they will exchange something that is not from their store. I really hope they do...
Oh, an FLGS order. Hmm. Probably better to keep the FA sets when they come in and then order a copy of the original at a convenient opportunity. But you can always ask. At least the FA is the hot item right now, so a swap might go over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Guaglio
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same situation with two new sets. Would a third set of the original to add with future expansion purchases be overkill - as in ships just not being used? Or is it the more the merrier with small ships? Forgive me, I have yet to open the boxes and play a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're going to want at least 2 of each set.

Of course they're going to keep selling the original core set. It's got Luke and Biggs! I suspect they're going to put out something that'll boost the T65 Xwing back into the meta in the next year or so. They can't let the most iconic ship in the IP languish out in the cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sum zero
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you will seldom use all the ships you own. what you're buying with additional ships is options. the more ships you have, the more pilot and upgrade card combinations you can have in your squads. with only a few ships, you may find yourself flying the same squad over and over again and that may [or may not] become boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Guaglio
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another OG core set it is! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got into this game and went with one of each. Having played a bit, I enjoy the new FA ships more. I might have to grab a second set if the price is right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jourdo wrote:
I just got into this game and went with one of each. Having played a bit, I enjoy the new FA ships more. I might have to grab a second set if the price is right.
I got another FA core set on Amazon Prime for $24.48, free shipping. Ordered it last Friday and it was delivered on Sunday morning!!! Prime is amazing. Don't know how you can do in Canada but good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Well they said that I can make the swap if I want. But the problem is now I want to make doubly sure that is the better option. There is more variety with 1 of each I suspect but is the original just not as powerful to make it worth it? I heard Luke sucks for some reason. But I just want Luke because he is Luke lol. Also duplicates which do nothing for me does not appeal to me. I don't plan on getting on more core sets so I just want to make sure 1 of each is better than just 2 FA's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowhawk720 wrote:
Well they said that I can make the swap if I want. But the problem is now I want to make doubly sure that is the better option. There is more variety with 1 of each I suspect but is the original just not as powerful to make it worth it? I heard Luke sucks for some reason. But I just want Luke because he is Luke lol. Also duplicates which do nothing for me does not appeal to me. I don't plan on getting on more core sets so I just want to make sure 1 of each is better than just 2 FA's?
I suspect you'll get differing opinions but if you have one of each you'll have the variety of both but only you can decide whether it's a good move for you. I personally would go for one of each. I also personally don't think Luke sucks. He's a PS8 with When defending you may change one eye result to an evade result. Maybe not great but not too bad either. And besides, it's Luke! Either way, enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Ok, then for varieties sake I will go for the different ones. Pilot cards and the different ship styles will make for a slightly different experience I suppose. I am just wondering if it is better to have more of one type of card or something from FA which outweighs the different ones but for now I will go with one regular core and one FA. I am also assuming they are the same exact value and I am not getting gyped or something when I trade the cores lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Castle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're definetly better to go with one of each.

The Original Core Set have a couple of cards that you'll love.

Luke is a great pilot, don't listen to the naysayer.
Biggs can still mess with your opponent even if he tends to go down early these days (soon to be remediated with Integrated Astromech)
R2-D2 is the best Astromech you can have.
Tie Academy are great fillers and blockers.
Dark Curse is a good 16 pts addition with a great ability.

The T-70 and Tie FO will soon be available in individual packaging so, you won't really miss anything by buying only one FA Core Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowhawk720 wrote:
I am also assuming they are the same exact value and I am not getting gyped or something when I trade the cores lol.
Well at least in Europe the new set is sold on average a 5€ higher than the original one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Böhnemann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The new core is a better experience, but the old core has two of the best X-Wing pilots (doesn't mean too much since they are in a crappy ship, but with the T-70 expansion comes a fix for that, so have them) and the old TIE Fighter is still the one ship everything else is measured with, it is that good by the numbers.

The TIE/fo doesn't swarm nearly as well as the TIE/ln. The T-70 kind of has E-Wing syndrom as in people only play Poe.
Uprgadewise the sets are hard to compare. The old one comes with R2-D2, which is borderline op on the right ship, but not with much else you can use (Determination sucks, as do Proton Torpedoes and R2-F2). In the new one you get Wired, which is a nice and flexible cheap talent that pairs especially well with A-Wings, BB-8, who is a lot of fun and actually will make Wedge from the X-Wing expansion viable and strong with the fix from the T-70 expansion and PTL, Weapons Guidance, which isn't bad, but does not really have a place, yet, and an interesting Astromech that can be discarded to ignore obstacles.

If you want to be competetive, get one of each and maybe some additional old cores for cheap TIE-Fighters. Wait for the expansions if you want more T-70s and FOs.

Edit: PSA: THE OLD CORE IS NOT GOING OUT OF PRODUCTION

It has recently been reprinted and is not going out of FFGs production cycle. Nothing in X-Wing Miniatures is limited run and befor the old core ever should go out of production an alternative way to get the pilots and upgrades will be established.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls