Subject: finally played, a few comments on its oddities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Triumph & Tragedy - "No peace in our time"Microbadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Canadian WargamerMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4x fan
Finally played a game at bottoscon this past weekend and greatly enjoyed it. However I did find some real oddities in the rules.

1)Stacking limits at a minor base are 1 land/1 air. How the heck are you expected to go on any offensive if only one of those units have to stay behind to occupy the (previously enemy) base? Control markers could be a huge addition here.

2) Multi side control of a hex is murky at best. We had an invasion go bad so I stayed in blockade, giving me sea control. His ground units lingered on at 1cv, giving him ground control. When he counterattacked, he became the defender?? This resulting in an advantage except when his air must retreat at end of battle....the rules pertaining to this situation could really use cleaning up.

3)Near as I can tell, the only use for major bases on the west coast is for supply and building up units? Not actual new builds? I was wondering why my opponent was putting new builds into panama only, until I read the rules on home 'boxes' for the allies after the game.

Anyways, just some thoughts off the top of my head, still keen on playing again (especially using the 16+ vp level for japanese decisive victory, that made for an awesomely tight game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the great game, Geoff.

Also, a clarification about whether the production points of occupied base that are out of supply still count towards victory conditions. Intuitively the answer would be no, but a clarification would still be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Triumph & Tragedy - "No peace in our time"Microbadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Canadian WargamerMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4x fan
To me that's straightforward enabling rules text (or lack thereof), ie;

A vp hex counts towards both vps and production (unless it says otherwise). So blockades prevent the use of production points, but without contrary text have no impact on victory levels, as the enemy still holds it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) A naval unit can retain control of an enemy base. You can leave a weak naval unit in the hex while you move Air unit and Infantry/Marine unit to next objective.

2) How can a land unit attack a naval unit? The defender against the blockade could fly in an Air Force or walk in a ground unit, but would not be required to attack the blockader. If the non-blockader attacked the blockading ships, his units would be the attackers.

3) New Naval units must be built in Panama. New Air and Ground units may be built at any USA Home Base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
AnimalMother wrote:

2) How can a land unit attack a naval unit? The defender against the blockade could fly in an Air Force or walk in a ground unit, but would not be required to attack the blockader. If the non-blockader attacked the blockading ships, his units would be the attackers.

Well therein is some of the confusion then, because the rules led us to believe that the nonblockader bringing in naval units to relieve the blockade somehow became the defender in a battle brought on by them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Battle Sheep fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Pursuit of Glory fanMicrobadge: Up Front fan
The rules are clear that only supplied production points count as victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls