Subject: Prospective player seeking advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Purves
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi all,
I have been curious about ths game since the kick starter, but did not jump in at the time (I had sunk my KS budget into SDE forgotten king). However, i saw the box set at my LGS and got an urge to try it out, but was confused about all of the various expansions, and what was what.. In general, inhave been a fan of some of these types of games (loved Rivet Wars for example).
Here are a few questions i had about jumping in without spending a huge amount.

Aside from the basic game, i am considering getting the mazus curse box. The addition of a second ship board and new tide deck seems to have a potential to add a lot of variety to the game, as well as introducing a third faction. Given those two purchases, is it worth it to buy some of the hero expansions? How do they work, do they swap with the heroes in the base game to provide alternate abilities?

Finally, Are any of the KS exclusive items worth chasing on eBay?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fan
The hero expansions are exactly as you describe. Each crew comes with a default set of five characters, one of each role. The little expansion boxes give you alternates that you can swap in: like a new gunner. You have to swap in like roles, so you always have one of each.

I see no reason to go after exclusives before you've played. They are simply more of the alternate heroes, and you can see how much you like it before purchasing those; they are unlikely to go up in price in a short timeframe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Purves
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks. That's very helpful. Looking forward to trying out the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Krom
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, first play the game for a couple of times and deicide if you need extra heroes to add more variety.

I bought the kickstarter and the 2 big expansions for the variety in crew/fraction and the different set-ups (and for the exclusives you get with them) but we played with just core box the first couple of games and it was a lot of fun.

Also they confirmed another Rum & Bones kickstarter next year so maybe you can wait for that to get some (free) extra heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said in my review, I think the "big box" expansions are more interesting: they give you more heroes, more cards and a different playing field.

Since the heroes expansions offer just a few crew members, you could wait and see if there is some type of crew member you are not enjoying and go for it.

I think I will just buy the big expansions and draft from the four options when looking for variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Purves
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think ill just get the core game and mazus then, stick with the original plan. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Krom
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, let us know how it turns out. It can help other people making choices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaBoyTimmy wrote:
I agree, first play the game for a couple of times and deicide if you need extra heroes to add more variety.

I bought the kickstarter and the 2 big expansions for the variety in crew/fraction and the different set-ups (and for the exclusives you get with them) but we played with just core box the first couple of games and it was a lot of fun.

Also they confirmed another Rum & Bones kickstarter next year so maybe you can wait for that to get some (free) extra heroes
They confirmed another kickstarter? That's cool. Can you point me to that info?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deerteam wrote:
I think ill just get the core game and mazus then, stick with the original plan. Thanks!
Id suggest just the base game to start. The expansion will probably still be there a week from now. That way you have time to try it. I love the game, but seeing how its mainly 2 player, it never hits the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Krom
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes i can but i think you will not find it. It was mentioned in the comment section of the Black Plague by someone who went to the CMON expo 2015 and it will be most likely be another "base game" with two new factions that also can be played as stand alone game like the zombicide season 2 and 3 games. And of course when there will be a kickstarter there will be free heroes Be no details were given about game and when it will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moon glaive
msg tools
Most of the characters are absolutely trash to ever field in a game unless your opponent also selects them.

The game is quite unbalanced as it stands from a strategic/mathematical point of view. If you make up some sort of house rule which would eliminate rush tactics, you may actually get a decent game out of it. One method would be to make the non-coin bonuses a player gains for destroying a ship objective go to the player who owns the ship.

The new ships disadvantage further the player using the original ship.

The minis are a beaut to look at. Could be used in other games, if you are so inclined.

The rulebook has one major elemnt missing within it concerning the removal of wound/damage tokens on characters on death/knock out. Playing by the book, you'll eventually have no characters left to play with since they die the turn they spawn onto the boards. How the hell they managed such a screw up is beyond me.

The game isn't worth it... that is not to say you shouldn't get it, but it certainly isn't the kind for the competetive nature it attempts to emulate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mogg wrote:
Most of the characters are absolutely trash to ever field in a game unless your opponent also selects them.

The game is quite unbalanced as it stands from a strategic/mathematical point of view. If you make up some sort of house rule which would eliminate rush tactics, you may actually get a decent game out of it. One method would be to make the non-coin bonuses a player gains for destroying a ship objective go to the player who owns the ship.

The new ships disadvantage further the player using the original ship.

The minis are a beaut to look at. Could be used in other games, if you are so inclined.

The rulebook has one major elemnt missing within it concerning the removal of wound/damage tokens on characters on death/knock out. Playing by the book, you'll eventually have no characters left to play with since they die the turn they spawn onto the boards. How the hell they managed such a screw up is beyond me.

The game isn't worth it... that is not to say you shouldn't get it, but it certainly isn't the kind for the competetive nature it attempts to emulate.

Well, we all have our own opinions, but I suggest not listening to the above. Some people are unable to read a rule book, and thats fine. They also have not looked at damage per dice on average. Luck must have been heavily involved any time this player played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls