Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall a year like this one or maybe I'm forgetful. It appears we have been spoilt and everyone is having a good time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Given the number and diversity of games, and the varying experiences of players within the hobby, any year is the best or worst, most or least unique.

Looking at the top 100, 2012 still has a stranglehold on "best year." If forced to choose, I'd go with that. My own experiences are too limited to be anything but an exercise in small sample size, and that's the closest to an objective criteria I can think of. But really, it's too subjective a term to actually quantify with any authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm just getting a stronger buzz or positive vibe for this year (obviously going by subjective impressions rather than statistics) or maybe it's something else devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it might help to be able to hear more of other games outside of the megaphone sound that right now is Pandemic Legacy. It is going to take some time before the Essen releases really start to take hold of the rankings.

EDIT: I don't think this year beats 2012 for games that make the Top 100 as by default it is harder to get into, but I do think this is the best year since then although 2013 in particular was underwhelming for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Well, it might help to be able to hear more of other games outside of the megaphone sound that right now is Pandemic Legacy.

That is one title I had in mind when typing, now the number 1 thematic game, likewise Codenames is the number 1 party game (though there really should be a word game ranking, where Codenames truly belongs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pusboyau wrote:
matthean wrote:
Well, it might help to be able to hear more of other games outside of the megaphone sound that right now is Pandemic Legacy.

That is one title I had in mind when typing, now the number 1 thematic game, likewise Codenames is the number 1 party game (though there really should be a word game ranking, where Codenames truly belongs)

I nominate 7 Wonders Duel for best 2 player game in 2015 releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes. Very original stuff coming out that is changing the way we look at games. Whether these games will change gaming, or be a passing fad, is still unknown. But I think there will be changes.

Here are two examples:

1. Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 and T.I.M.E Stories will affect the way we see games. These are one shot games. You play through the game (or the campaign in the case of pandemic legacy) then you are done. I think the set up for this was the cult of the new. There are so many good games coming out, that we only play them a few times before switching to a new game. So why not accept that and design games like that. Next year we will be seeing The 7th Continent come out. Will this be a trend?

2. Churchill this game is a new take on world war 2. It is a game about competition between three factions that must cooperate. In the past, games like this simply said that if you don't beat the enemy then everyone loses. But here the game cleverly switches between 3 types of victory condition in a way that forces cooperation. I think that this game may inspire other designers to explore this type of competitive-cooperative hybrid (It is competitive but forces some cooperation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
2004 remains my high point right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been no must buy games in 2015 for me. Churchill was closest, but I so rarely play with 3 only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.