Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a moderately experienced game player, about 6 years now, in the Olympia WA area. I am also a writer/editor with some art experience as well. I think my skills could be very helpful for designers with having clear rule books, icons etc. I am very detail oriented. [Ask my authors LOL] I am easy to work with and flexible with time.

I have not posted much on the geek due to RL time demands, and have played many more games than I have posted but generally prefer euros, not a fan of war games. So what I am saying is my geek creds do not really show all of my abilities.

In general my goal for this is just to learn a bit about how games are developed and find a way to use my particular skills to support the community as a whole, as I feel take much more from the geek than I give [in terms of posting etc.]. I will start reading other threads also to get more information and look for opportunities.

How do I get started?
Any particular experience that is helpful?
What does it generally entail?
What do designers expect n terms of detail?
What is the general time frame for reports to be made?
What are problems that come up?
Anything else I should know?
Anybody want to take me up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yashar Basseri
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd love to take you up. In making a board game and, well, I can explain how to play it, but can't translate that into a real rules booklet. Its bad because I need to get it in writing before I can start a print and play.

Also, what art and writing experience do you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have written mostly nonfiction, I was a rock critic for 3 years and have written mostly on activist topics for various publications.

I have edited 3 novels, a paper that was presented at Stanford [on self quantification - had some math] and other nonfiction, some science, for the local alternative paper. I am pretty good at giving notes in a sensitive manner, I try!

I have had an art career but had to give it up due to health, I was a painter/illustrator who has done murals, been collected internationally, had one woman shows and was show in one major museum once [but I got an award!].

I have gamed for about 6 years, I fangirl over Stefan Feld and lately Carl Chudyk, lean tend toward medium heavy strategy/euros but love a fun Ameritrash. None of my geeklists are up to date, and I don't log the games I play while learning them alone.

I would be able to devote approx. 8-10 hours helping someone per month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred LeBlanc
United States
East Kingston
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
I've also got a game in the works, I've got about 8 pages of rules written -- although I swear it's not that complicated -- but I've run into a bit of a wall on how to organize it. I always seem to hit a point where you need to know two things at the same time to understand them. Like, you need to know about A because B effects it, but you need to know B first because that's the order of the game.

I should probably make a video to show how the game play works, but if I can get that done in a way that's hopefully easy to understand, I'd be happy to have more eyes on the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the first poster: I am not sure I would be the best person as this would be my first job. I could take a crack if you can explain the game and I can play it, I could suggest some logical possibilities. Ideally you will have made at least a draft for me to work off of, I don't think I would want to take the first crack, but I could help you improve that crack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To Fred: This I might be a bit more effective with, some rules that are more developed. I could playtest then make suggestions, or just give you some ideas on the rules alone [there is something to be said for both approaches]. If I don't have a good idea of the countour of the game or where to find the information, the rules book needs improvement.

Let me know exactly what you need, and when you need it by, and what I have to do and then we can decide from there?

And BTW to all the posters I am going to do a crash course in independent study in game design, taking resources from the geek and other places. It fascinates me, for with all my other skills and intelligence, I do not feel I have the ability to think like a game designer. It is the next logical place for me to go with the hobby, start learning theory etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yashar Basseri
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sounds good. I'm geek mail you something I also need help with haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Kreps
Norway
flag msg tools
I'd also like to take you up on the offer to read through my rulebook, if you're interested I can also ship you a physical prototype of the game to test (through gamecrafter).

Send me a pm if this is interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Whitney
msg tools
Hey there Candio!

I'm currently designing a Turn-based card game based on 18th Century War tactics. I would love it if you could take a look at it and let me know what you think!

Here's the link:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1473530/strategic-divide-lo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
Hey Candy,

Would love to have your input on a game I am developing...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1518410/beta-testers-wanted-...

Lots of scope left for design in the cards, player mats and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Thread Necromancer... I revive dead threads.Microbadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: Kickstarter fanMicrobadge: Tokyo/Osaka Game Market attendeeMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantly
candio wrote:
I have written mostly nonfiction, I was a rock critic for 3 years and have written mostly on activist topics for various publications.

I have edited 3 novels [one called Drone is available on Amazon, the first is OOP, and the third will be published in 2016], a paper that was presented at Stanford [on self quantification - had some math] and other nonfiction, some science, for the local alternative paper. I am pretty good at giving notes in a sensitive manner, I try!

I have had an art career but had to give it up due to health, I was a painter/illustrator who has done murals, been collected internationally, had one woman shows and was show in one major museum once [but I got an award!].

I have gamed for about 6 years, I fangirl over Stefan Feld and lately Carl Chudyk, lean tend toward medium heavy strategy/euros but love a fun Ameritrash. None of my geeklists are up to date, and I don't log the games I play while learning them alone.

I would be able to devote approx. 8-10 hours helping someone per month.
You sound like a really sound person. Do you have a blog or website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Charles,

Thank you for the compliment. I do not have a website. I am disabled, so most of my projects now are ones I get from known connections etc. So I have just never had the time/resources to develop a site. And I guess not a compelling purpose, since my time is rather limited. Right now I look for short term, easy to do projects that I can complete more or less on my time schedule, though I can work with deadlines. I am going to try my hand at game reviewing soon. Working on my first one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have PM everyone who has responded to my thread. I apologize for the delay for some replies. Damn that RL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls