United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
We are making a small change to the reward structure for GeekModding images to encourage people to take more time before approving a pic.

The amount of work to decline images is more than simply approving or skipping an image, so we've decided to increase the reward for getting an image declined from 0.01 to 0.10

We're still spot checking the system for "rubber stampers".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I may understand this the wrong way, but wouldn't that reward declining as much as possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! That's quite a difference, but I trust that you will monitor and adjust as needed. Thanks for thinking about the image approval issues we have been having and working on addressing them.

While you're at it, can you increase the number of thumbnails of current images that appear? That would make it a lot easier than clicking through several pages of images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
We are making a small change to the reward structure for GeekModding images to encourage people to take more time before approving a pic.

The amount of work to decline images is more than simply approving or skipping an image, so we've decided to increase the reward for getting an image declined from 0.01 to 0.10

We're still spot checking the system for "rubber stampers".

There will still be the underlying problem of modders who are modding - and rubber stamping - just for the GG reward. The thing is, rather than having unworthy images approved, we will have worthy images declined.

Suggestion: Institute sanctions of some sort on any modders whose high approval rate becomes, all of a sudden with this system change, a high disapproval rate.

Anyhow, it is great to see the suspect modding being addressed. Thanks for everything you do for the site Aldie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would agree with the theory of doing something to encourage the quality upkeep of the images that are being approved. Some of the images i've seen approved lately have been really poor.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/179699

Maybe we could have a flagging system for removing images from the geek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting idea. I hope no one tries taking advantage of it by deliberately submitting bad pictures so that friends can make some easy Geek Gold. Hopefully the "Testing" images that were just sent through the system were put there by admins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
darlok wrote:
i would agree with the theory of doing something to encourage the quality upkeep of the images that are being approved. Some of the images i've seen approved lately have been really poor.

I've thought about a re-modding system, but haven't had time to do it yet. Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
fehrmeister wrote:
This is an interesting idea. I hope no one tries taking advantage of it by deliberately submitting bad pictures so that friends can make some easy Geek Gold. Hopefully the "Testing" images that were just sent through the system were put there by admins.

Yeah - that was me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
I may understand this the wrong way, but wouldn't that reward declining as much as possible?

It rewards giving more thought to borderline cases. If you vote to decline and it gets approved you don't get anything. And far fewer than 1 in 10 pictures is declined, so trying to be an honest judge will pay out more.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I agree with this decision. I give most photos the benefit of the doubt on content but lots of blurry and underexposed stuff gets through.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Decline button just stopped working for me. Are you changing code?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The decline button seems to broken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    You know Aldie, if you turn off the Decline button you're probably going to get a lot more crappy stuff appearing on the site.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they've taken the decline button to isengard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Ok Decline button is fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
spacerx wrote:

What did you say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I just sent a couple of images in, so something should be available for review.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The guidelines aren't there any more - though it does have the "btw, don't decline them for these reasons". also, is "too big" no longer a valid reason? (That's why I went to look for the guidelines, to see if it had been specifically removed from them...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and your size calculator is broken... the image I just saw is NOT 640x2147483647

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
and your size calculator is broken... the image I just saw is NOT 640x2147483647

Or is it?

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spacerx wrote:

After days of having that stuck in my head after it was posted here, you had to go and say that. Curse you! (That cursing should not be construed as a personal attack, but rather a personal defense against that song.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
darlok wrote:

I've thought about a re-modding system, but haven't had time to do it yet. Suggestions?

well I built a red-flagging system for our company's message-boards. while our system still had paid moderators, we implemented this system to reduce the # of moderated posts. essentially much like the thumbs system u can have a button that users can click for images they feel should be removed. once it reaches a certain threshold it would be either be removed from the geek all together or go to a queue for moderation. We also count the # of removed posts a user has as well as the # of red flags other users set to prevent future abuse.

This of course doesnt resolve the situation around users uploading poor photos and other users approving them. Perhaps to resolve this issue there needs to be a user rating system similar to what digg does. One simple way would be to cap the # of uploads a user can make during a set time period as well as allowing/not allowing users with x% rating to even upload photos at all.

Clearly there is a fine line here to allow user submitted content and keep quality high and not creating strict censorship.

perhaps limit the users who can actually do moderation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
spacerx wrote:

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Aldie wrote:
darlok wrote:

How about reinstating thums down for images and letting that inform removal and selection decisions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:

That would be nice. Case in point: Today I uploaded a bunch of images, all for different games, and got one of them wrong: an image meant for Junta wound up submitted for Ivanhoe. It was approved, and I got a Geekgold for it and a thumbs-up. So now I'm feeling all guilty, but I don't have any way to fix it. blush

[Edit: That was quick -- thanks to whoever fixed it!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.