10 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Villains» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norin Radd
msg tools
mbmbmb
So with this year's big box expansion being Secret Wars Vol 1 and next year's February small box expansion is Captain America will we see a big box expansion for Villians next summer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sushi Go! fanMicrobadge: Android fanMicrobadge: Descent fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fan
The short answer - we just don't know.

The long answer - see these threads.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462951/speculation-maybe-we...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1421693/future-expansions

It LOOKS as though we may not get another villains expansion based on secret wars included villains (such as Thanos) as "heroes" but that could just be because Secret Wars is Secret Wars. We just don't have any official word on what the situation is at present. We just all have to hold our breath and see what happens after Cap75.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
I like to think Secrets Wars is just Secret Wars like you say. I believe Upper Deck (likely with a nudge from Marvel) is simply riding the current storyline and that's all cool.

I do think however they need to come out and give a definite ya or nay on Villains even if they don't go into specifics. As it stands right now after Secret Wars 2 I'm done with any expansions for Heroes. Not because I don't like the game anymore but I just don't need anything more for it. I've got plenty to keep that game hitting the table for years to come. I will however still buy Villains expansions and for that matter Encounters to flesh those games out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Word from someone who asked at GenCon this year was that there aren't any more Villains expansions coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Word from someone who asked at GenCon this year was that there aren't any more Villains expansions coming.
I think it was Buddharock that asked them directly at GenCon and got that answer. Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think that a big box expansion was a missed opportunity for Villians. Here's why...

The follow up to the Villian base game should have been something similar to dark city. A large expansion with 5 "traditional" commanders, some nice adversary and backups, and some "classic" plots.

Instead, we got:
A. A small expansion (Fear Itself)
B. Only one commander (a "who is that?" Iron Man)
C. A theme that few of us really got in to. (Fear Itself)

I really think that if UD would have followed the very successful pattern set out by dark city, they would be more entusiastic about supporting the Villians line.

Also, they need to ask the players what we want and really listen. If you ask a kid what he wants, "Pizza or Vegtables" the kid is gonna pick the pizza. It's what he WANTS!

Fear itself was like serving us vegetables. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what we WANTED!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
TravelSized wrote:
I may be wrong (I often am), but I seem to recall that the reported reply to said person's question was a little less clear cut - more along the lines of "there are no current plans ...", rather than "there never will be ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Arnold
msg tools
"There are no current plans" is practically big business lingo for "no". A company never wants to flat out say no because it will cause customer complaints, "No" is kinda hard to maneuver around while "no current plans" can be used as an excuse over and over again until the idea fades from memory.

Companies plan years in advance, "no current plans" would mean no plans for all the years they already have planned out, which is usually around 5 for big companies.

It's like telling a customer, "I don't know what's wrong with your internet" compared to "let me see if I can find out what's wrong with your internet". They both are saying they don't know, but one implies that there might be a fix while the other leaves you annoyed.

Public Relations 101

EDIT: Companies usually only come up with plans for something that they previously weren't planning is when they are trying to make up for dropping stocks or low sales, neither of which look to be in cryptozoics future anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
My understanding is that, according to previously, and publicly, stated plans, Secret Wars was to be a single big box, but they had so much content for it that they had to make it two.

This shows that UDE are not that inflexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls