Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far whoever gets this card in the games I've played has won. Sure there's only two buys but the money saved can be substantial. Does no one else have a problem with this card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is as good as the one that gives you more money for selling. How many games have you played?
There are many good cards and there are some that I feel are too costly for what they do, but I have yet to see one card being overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it costs $4 to start with, so you'd need to make at least 4 more buys to make your money back. And it's worth no victory points, even at level 2. And even if you upgrade it to level 2, the card will have cost you a total of $7 ($8 with the $1 discount that level 1 gives you). With $7 you could get a row-C card which gives far more VPs in one go.

In the time it takes you to buy 4 times (could be 2 to 4 rounds, depending on whether you've upgraded your starting Buy card), others could have snapped up far more VP-valuable cards (possibly cheaper than the $4 you spent on that card), and e.g. be able to build up museum majorities for statue and gem expeditions you can no longer get.

It very much depends on what cards come out when, I guess. If you're cash rich, and that card comes out early, you may have a pretty good advantage. But if I have $4 early in the game, I'm going to be upgrading my base Architect or getting a jungle or mountain expedition.

I think I've only ever bought the Manager card in one game ever, and even with the discounts, I didn't win. (But then I'm not necessarily the best player!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 4p game and the manager was dead last by ten points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
Well, it costs $4 to start with, so you'd need to make at least 4 more buys to make your money back. And it's worth no victory points, even at level 2. And even if you upgrade it to level 2, the card will have cost you a total of $7 ($8 with the $1 discount that level 1 gives you). With $7 you could get a row-C card which gives far more VPs in one go.

In the time it takes you to buy 4 times (could be 2 to 4 rounds, depending on whether you've upgraded your starting Buy card), others could have snapped up far more VP-valuable cards (possibly cheaper than the $4 you spent on that card), and e.g. be able to build up museum majorities for statue and gem expeditions you can no longer get.

It very much depends on what cards come out when, I guess. If you're cash rich, and that card comes out early, you may have a pretty good advantage. But if I have $4 early in the game, I'm going to be upgrading my base Architect or getting a jungle or mountain expedition.

I think I've only ever bought the Manager card in one game ever, and even with the discounts, I didn't win. (But then I'm not necessarily the best player!)

Yep. I don't have very many plays under my belt but from what I have played I have not noticed any particular card being "overpowered" and Nick states very well how the Manager card may not seem as overpowered as it may at first appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It came out very early thus maximizing it's effect. The last game played we just removed it. We may try putting it back in and perhaps shuffling it back if it shows up first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Graves
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:
We played a 4p game and the manager was dead last by ten points

Same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.