Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Whitby/Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been about 25 years since the last time I have played this game and although not 100% confirmed, there is a possibility that I might be playing this game this weekend. So, I started to review the rules and decided to play a solo game today. I would play both sides as if I wanted both to win and pretended that I didn't know the strengths of the other side.

I decided to 'keep it simple' strategy wise and had the British invade at Montmorency with 4 units all worth 4 CV. The French had the extra hit for the amphibious assault against the British, however, no hits were rolled and the first battle began with the British collapsing the French left flank, forcing the French to retreat to Beauport. Luckily for the French, the retreat did not lead to any other casualties.

The British reinforced their foothold on the north side of the river. While the French had the Indian unit scout and found 3 decoy and 1 unit still on Lle d'Orleans.

The French left a small force at Beauport as the French units in Levis retreated to Etchemin and the entire British force continued to reinforce at Montmorency. What I should have done as the British is once I finished using the Royal Navy ships in the Bason, then I should have moved them up river to slow down or stop the French from moving to the north side of the St. Lawrence River from the south to reinforce Quebec City.

The British advanced to Beauport as the French retreated from there to St. Charles.

I decided as the French to make a small stand at St. Charles as the British advance there. A short battle ensued with the British taking several casualties, but, the French took more casualties retreating back to Abraham to the main French force. By this time the French units on the south side of the river had made it across and also reinforced the main French force.

At this point all the French military forces were in Abraham and all the British military forces were in St. Charles, a final grand battle was set up.

The British crossing the river at St. Charles had to suffer another amphibious assault penalty. This time the French rolls were much better with the British centre column taking several hits. This final grand battle continued with the British centre column taking most of French assault while the British were successfully decimating the French right flank. Finally, the British centre was down to a single CV as was the French right flank. It had come down to which side got the next hit on the others weakest column. On 1 round the French left flank took 3 hits, further weakening the French position. By this time the French were under 10 CV and the Indian piece in reserve was removed. The next round a hit was scored on the French right flank causing it to collapse and the French had to retreat to Ste. Foy. The British had taken Abraham. I looked at the CV for the French, a total of 4. It looked like the British had won as there was no way the French could move the British off of Abraham. I looked at the British CVs, totalling 16. 20 CVs were the minimum the British had to have for a victory. It was a French victory, although it was a Pyrrhic Victory at best.

Overall I enjoyed playing this even solo. Although not the same as face to face. I'd forgotten many of the strategies that I had come up with before, hopefully I'll come up with some new ones. There is a reason that a 43 year old game is still being sold, it's fun, thought provoking and keeps you on your toes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought this a few weeks ago, after a visit to the actual plains of Abraham (fun fact: the gift shop sells this game, and at least one of the salespeople knows the game and others in the Columbia Games line).

My 12yr old son is studying this battle in school, so playing the game was that much more interesting. We played 6 times in a few days, with the initial win going to the British, the next several to the French, and the last to the British.

Fun game. It's obviously limited in it's scope, but fun for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This brings back a similar experience I had near a year+ ago:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/15611975#15611975

A lot more to this game than meets the eye!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Whitby/Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ncree wrote:
Thi brings back a similar experience I had near a year+ ago:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/15611975#15611975

A lot more to this game than meets the eye!
Yes it is somewhat similar. Thanks, I enjoyed reading your experience with this game. For a 'entry/beginner' level game, it does have a considerable amount of depth. I did not get the opportunity to play it last weekend, my opponent decided on the War of 1812, but, my son was looking at this game. With any luck it won't be too long until I play this FtF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls