Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 11 BGG poster
Given that the game has a Time Track and the scenarios specify victory conditions that must be satisfied or all players lose, and given that there can be zero PvP interaction, is there some reason it can't be played with only one player?

Even if, due to the lack of other players racing to win, there are too many turns to be challenging, surely the number of turns could be easily reduced? And if certain victory conditions are required, even if the game allows you to try again if you fail the first time, you could require a single attempt or lose for solo play?

Are there reasons solo play wouldn't work well? Or require more complicated AI?

I'm a bit surprise FFG didn't include a solo mode and more scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
SirRoke wrote:
Maybe holding out for an expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Given that the game has a Time Track and the scenarios specify victory conditions that must be satisfied or all players lose, and given that there can be zero PvP interaction, is there some reason it can't be played with only one player?
Obviously one thing that makes it difficult is that another player is supposed to make choices for the enemies you fight. If you have to make the choices, then it's not really you playing against the game, it's you playing against yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
Obviously one thing that makes it difficult is that another player is supposed to make choices for the enemies you fight. If you have to make the choices, then it's not really you playing against the game, it's you playing against yourself.
In the old days, that's how all the solo board games I played worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, I wouldn't want to "play both sides," but it seems like it would be really simple to play the best choice for the enemy. There's still an element of the known between rounds, but just try to hurt your hero the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
Normally, I wouldn't want to "play both sides," but it seems like it would be really simple to play the best choice for the enemy.
And it works just fine. The only thing I added was: when the time token enters a gem refresh space, one item in each market is randomly replaced. This mitigates lack of other players and adds a bit more fluctuation to markets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
Normally, I wouldn't want to "play both sides," but it seems like it would be really simple to play the best choice for the enemy. There's still an element of the known between rounds, but just try to hurt your hero the most.
Actually having just played for the first time, it's not at all as simple to play both sides as I expected. I don't particular like the fake solo approach that entails, so I'm maybe not the ideal test case, but it just surprised me the degree to which the agility, surge, and doubling tokens make it fairly tricky to min-max without a lot of thought. Maybe I'm just slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
Eyefink wrote:
Actually having just played for the first time, it's not at all as simple to play both sides as I expected. I don't particular like the fake solo approach that entails, so I'm maybe not the ideal test case, but it just surprised me the degree to which the agility, surge, and doubling tokens make it fairly tricky to min-max without a lot of thought. Maybe I'm just slow.
So long as you're only allowing the same amount of thought for each side, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe a timer and only allow a max of 30s to decide each combat action?

Ulimately all you need is for both sides to play with the same amount of skill. Whether that's your 100% best effort, or both sides operating at 75% because you're limiting your thinking time really shouldn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
True. I think it would be possible to create a "bot" of sorts, like Liberty or Death (or Churchill), that could be followed by the solo player when operating as the enemies.

Might not be perfect, but it could at least be a prescribed order of priority for how to execute the enemy tokens.

I did end up playing a rousing session against myself last night, and I basically did play the enemy as tough as I could make it on my character. Lost against the final boss by one lousy hit point, which was tough on my ego (but not my alter ego).

Surprising good game, especially the combat portion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Welcome to the Dream, Hunter!Microbadge: Folklore fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Dark Souls: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Geek Regular
most board games are soloable if you have that way of thinking of course [split personalities do it no problem
only 2 games I haven't been able to solo are war of the ring and battle of the five armies...so much going on at once in those that its too difficult
I should think someone will be getting there head around making solo rules or variant set [redjak ?]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: I totally posted this in the wrong game forum, my bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorien4 lorien4
Greece
Asprovalta
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Margath scenario I use only half of the lore tokens shown on the cards (rounded up) to simulate the antagonism you have from other players concerning the collection of lore.

For the Vorakesh scenario I also use half of the zombie tokens (rounded up). In addition, I use a d6 to determine where exactly to put these tokens on the map. For example, a 1 means I put the token on the upper left castle and a 6 on the lower right.

Without these variants I found Margath to be very easy and Vorakesh almost impossible to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jernej peter
Slovenia
flag msg tools
You Can't Take the Sky from Me
mbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:

And im surprise they didnt already include coop game (it could be easily played as solo game).

Like Tom Royal said, they would have to create tokens for enemy that would have prescribed order of priority. If they do it right, battles would be more fun than now (where you have to do your best to beat yourself) and could lead to more tactical choices.

Like my wife said : there are two racers in the game and both can lose. Thats no fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls