John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While a lot of parts and mechanics within KDM is as variable and randomized as it is (and this shines!), the one big thing that isn't variable is the timeline with quite a number of fixed encounters and some story events. This comes at the cost of being a bit predictable because the survivors know they are up against the Butcher at year 4 for example.

Perhaps it is unavoidable in lieu of a non-progressive campaign, since these encounters set the difficulty to make each campaign for the players challenging enough. On the other hand I am examining options to put in a bit of randomization on this part of KDM as well. Let's say a variant in which the Butcher may appear in lantern year 4, 5 or 6. And have story events in these years switch eventually (if it does not conflict with the outcome of the Butcher encounter.)

I am fully aware that a lot of the settlement events are random and I am not looking for ways to make it easier on the survivors, but I do prefer the element of surprise and lesser railroading. In my eyes it is a bit of anti-climatic / unthematic that the survivors start preparing for lantern year 4 years ahead because they know they have the Butcher knocking on their door on lantern year 4. (Perhaps I overlook some necessities though.)

Any veteran survivors considering to implement of bit of randomization in the timeline as mentioned above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I like the idea - as you say, knowing things are arriving at a specific year makes them a bit too prep arable on 2nd play through.

I think as you say any randomising needs to be a push back from the original year - the encounters need a certain level of preparedness, and a But her on year 2 would be impossible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can have the same Nemesis in the same order, but, from the first Year you Roll a dice if it's a 10, You'll fight the butcher that Year if not go on and the next settlement phase roll again if it's a 9 - 10 you fight the Butcher....
If once you reach year 4 you didn't fight it yet, you fight it as usual.

Once you defeat a Nemesis start doing the same for the Next one, start with 10,9,8 etc....

Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen F
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I like the idea. I haven't even played the Kingsman encounter yet, and I'm already planning ahead and stuff, which feels a little gamey sometimes.

Maybe you can treat it a bit like the innovations deck. After the First Story event, build a timeline deck from all timeline events from (for example) the next 3 years on the timeline. Then each next LY, draw 1 event from this deck, and after resolving it add the timeline event from 3 years ahead to the deck (so that your deck always contains 3 events at any time).

On average it conserves the original progression, but it is possible for strange things to happen.
You may want to build on some conditions. Like, not adding the kingsman before the butcher has been drawn. Or forcing the butcher to be drawn on LY 6 if it is still in the deck.

Stories that add events to your timeline instead add the event to your deck.

Hmm, maybe you also need to build in the condition, that when the deck gets too large, you have to draw 2 events?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I could easily see a minor modification like, year before, roll 1-2 means you get the event early; year of, 9-10 means you wait another year.

I think the order is pretty important, but a slightly random timing could be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
It looks like that during the kick starter the nemesis encounters were random.

For each year you haven't had a nemesis encounter you roll a D10. If you score 21 or more you trigger a nemesis encounter.

Certain events would add a "bonus" D10 for that year.
I'm assuming it was dropped because it was too random.

An unlucky player could have a nemesis encounter every 3 years and a lucky player could get to the end of the campaign and not have a single one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Australia
flag msg tools
Slaaneth wrote:
It looks like that during the kick starter the nemesis encounters were random.

For each year you haven't had a nemesis encounter you roll a D10. If you score 21 or more you trigger a nemesis encounter.

Certain events would add a "bonus" D10 for that year.
I'm assuming it was dropped because it was too random.

An unlucky player could have a nemesis encounter every 3 years and a lucky player could get to the end of the campaign and not have a single one.

Also Nemesis just work well as difficulty gates.

Fight lvl 1 lions all day long, but if you can't beat the nemesis... it's probably a decent indication your settlement is not on track to beat the watcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that's reasonable after fighting each one the first time. The first fights are pretty good at blindsiding you, though, so is more a measure of luck in your build/fighting choices more than anything else IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Ashaway
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
ZGahn wrote:
Interesting, I like the idea. I haven't even played the Kingsman encounter yet, and I'm already planning ahead and stuff, which feels a little gamey sometimes.

Maybe you can treat it a bit like the innovations deck. After the First Story event, build a timeline deck from all timeline events from (for example) the next 3 years on the timeline. Then each next LY, draw 1 event from this deck, and after resolving it add the timeline event from 3 years ahead to the deck (so that your deck always contains 3 events at any time).

On average it conserves the original progression, but it is possible for strange things to happen.
You may want to build on some conditions. Like, not adding the kingsman before the butcher has been drawn. Or forcing the butcher to be drawn on LY 6 if it is still in the deck.

Stories that add events to your timeline instead add the event to your deck.

Hmm, maybe you also need to build in the condition, that when the deck gets too large, you have to draw 2 events?

I like the idea of a timeline deck that functions similarly to the innovations deck, but I think you'd need to design it from the ground up. But you could have things like "Butcher Victory Consequence" and "Butcher Defeat Consequence" and it could branch out from there. Eliminate events from the bottom of the timeline progression tree by having numbered ranks that you remove as lantern years progress (e.g. at LY5 you remove Timeline Tier 1 cards from the deck) to keep too easy events from coming up late in the campaign and also keep the progression more focused down a specific path or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Ryn
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
ClockRhythmEcho wrote:

I like the idea of a timeline deck that functions similarly to the innovations deck, but I think you'd need to design it from the ground up. But you could have things like "Butcher Victory Consequence" and "Butcher Defeat Consequence" and it could branch out from there. Eliminate events from the bottom of the timeline progression tree by having numbered ranks that you remove as lantern years progress (e.g. at LY5 you remove Timeline Tier 1 cards from the deck) to keep too easy events from coming up late in the campaign and also keep the progression more focused down a specific path or two.

I'd hoped this was what the innovation consequences were going to be like from day one. As soon as I saw 'Innovation-language. Add language consequences to the deck' or somesuch during the kickstarter, I had dreams of events being added to the hunt, the settlement, maybe even the timeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.