Subject: Campaign questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gearhart
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry for this. I searched through the various other sub-forums, but since this is a cross between two of them, I wasn't able to find if this particular question had been asked before.

When a hero gets killed through whatever means, does the player controlling that hero get to choose a new hero to add back in to bring them back to three?

The FAQ in the booklet for The Road Darkens says directly references beginning a CAMPAIGN (emphasis mine) with fewer than three heroes that you don't suffer a threat penalty for bringing a new one in. However, I can't find any reference to what happens should you lose a hero, which is particularly relevant, as that's the same box as the encounter with the Balrog, where you can throw a hero at the Balrog.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm also REALLY sorry if this has been asked before. My search-fu is weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you lose a hero, it goes to your discard pile.

if your discard pile is every shuffled into your deck (say, through Will of the West), the hero stays in your discard pile.

i can't find the references off-hand, but i'm sure i've read those rulings.

you can also save your hero with Landroval

IF you lose a hero during a campaign, that hero is gone forever from that campaign. BUT when you start your next game, you can replace lost heroes. you just can't bring in a third mid-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You finish the quest with 1 hero less of course.

If you accept that quest playthrough as final (you don't have to, can ignore and replay if you don't like the results, eg if losses, banes/boons earned or spent don't suit you), hero gets added to list of fallen heroes and cannot be played again for rest of campaign.

Before the next quest you replace the hero and are penalized permanent +1 starting threat (similar to when just exchanging heroes voluntarily). Edit: the penalty is probably in fact for losing the hero instead of bringing the backup in, but minor detail.

Regarding the Balrog thing, a bit later you have a spoiler spoiler spoiler option to do a book-like thing to get that hero back (and the threat penalty removed i think?), although unless in 1-handed solo, the other option is probably usually better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
Most of the time, this is true. But in the case of the Balrog scenario, you can't. Landroval's text says "After a hero is destroyed ...", and in the Balrog scenario, the text is "... discard a hero from play to deal X damage to The Balrog. X is that hero's threat cost." The word "destroyed" specifically means "discarded due to taking damage", and voluntarily discarding a character to pay the costs of some ability does not count as "destroyed".

Fortune or Fate, though, has no "destroyed" restrictions, and the hero you discard to the Balrog could still be saved with Fortune or Fate. If you do that before the end of the scenario, so he isn't in the discard pile at the end of the game, then you won't have to add his name to the list of Fallen Heroes. (I'd say "his or her" name, but we all know the best choice is Gandalf. cool)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmunn wrote:
dr00 wrote:
Most of the time, this is true. But in the case of the Balrog scenario, you can't. Landroval's text says "After a hero is destroyed ...", and in the Balrog scenario, the text is "... discard a hero from play to deal X damage to The Balrog. X is that hero's threat cost." The word "destroyed" specifically means "discarded due to taking damage", and voluntarily discarding a character to pay the costs of some ability does not count as "destroyed".
i was speaking in general about losing heroes, not for this, but thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls