Subject: Rate, clarify, and comment on every game at 504worlds.com! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I found it frustrating to try to keep track of all of my plays and rules clarifications as well as everyone else's using BGG. The information is getting fractured and there's no real great way to display clarification posts and ratings (polls, geeklists, threads all fall short).

So, I made a quick website that does all of that a lot better: http://504worlds.com

It's not perfect, I've only spent about a day on it, but it does its job more elegantly than other options I've seen. I hope it's useful to everyone!

P.S. I didn't ask permission from Friedemann or Henning, as I assume they're busy with the launch, but I hope they're okay with it!

Henning has given me permission to keep the site up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Frank Zappa fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Order of the Stick fanMicrobadge: An Elephant Stamp from Melissa
Andy Mesa wrote:
P.S. I didn't ask permission from Friedemann or Henning, as I assume they're busy with the launch, but I hope they're okay with it!
I don't think they are, since they made an official site to rate and comment each world: http://504-2f.de/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Werbaer wrote:
they made an official site to rate and comment each world: http://504-2f.de/
I'm aware of that site but it's in German and very difficult to use.

If it turns out to be a problem I'll happily take it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
External image

http://xkcd.com/927/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I would be happy to use 2f's site if I could

Anyway, use it if you like, or not. I'm just trying to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cat-in-a-boxMicrobadge: Forces others to play boardgamesMicrobadge: Social GamerMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Gay
The official site is german and english, so I see no real problem here. The comments are in both languages, but if you ask something in english you will get an english answer, so this shouldn't be a big problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Like I said, I found it difficult to use, so I made something that works better for me. I'm making it available for anyone else that feels the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: ScientistMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Reduce, Reuse, RecycleMicrobadge: Roads & Boats fanMicrobadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?
The 2f site is very messy and buggy. It is not a good website. Half the time the plugins don't load, and even on the biggest monitor available to me it appears cramped and dishevelled. While it's bad to fracture the ratings, I can definitely see the impetus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I really hope there will be a single, quality, widely used website for 504 one day. It's not looking good at this point - I hope 2F will either put some serious effort into their site (which in its current form is clearly not satisfactory) or abandon their project and allow someone else to do it properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Vladimir Chvátil fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan
Your page doesn't work really well on mobile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Fast Forward series fanMicrobadge: Fast Forward: FORTRESS fanMicrobadge: Fast Sloths fanMicrobadge: Fast Forward: FEAR fanMicrobadge: Fire! fan
elas wrote:
The official site is german and english, so I see no real problem here. The comments are in both languages, but if you ask something in english you will get an english answer, so this shouldn't be a big problem.
Our official site is still a work in progress.

We are open to all constructive comments (which is worse, which is good) and your wishes to improve the experience.

We already have a list of things to improve your experience, as we prefer to have one global site for 504, collecting all ratings and comments, and this should be our official site :-)

Thanks a lot for your patience and please excuse the actual bumpy experience, we hope to improve that step by step.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: My magic number reached zero in 2019.Microbadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: I play dead CCGs
Henning wrote:
elas wrote:
Our official site is still a work in progress.

We are open to all constructive comments (which is worse, which is good) and your wishes to improve the experience.

We already have a list of things to improve your experience, as we prefer to have one global site for 504, collecting all ratings and comments, and this should be our official site :-)

Thanks a lot for your patience and please excuse the actual bumpy experience, we hope to improve that step by step.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
Should we just put comments here or are you collecting them somewhere else?

List a summary of all ratings somewhere. Preferably a sortable list, but at least a plain text summary. The top 10 is good, but a complete list would be better.

An embedded translation button (even for comments) would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Henning wrote:
* You need to decide how to do localization; this mish mash of English and German on the same website at the same time is not going to work.

* There's really no need to have the tabs at the top both in German and English. If you just did the numbers I think everyone would understand, and you've made it much cleaner and more usable.

* The whole website should be more usable. For example, right now there's no real way to see exactly how one adds ratings and comments. It's just a page in German with a bunch of tabs, and you have to figure out how to navigate through the tabs to find the game you want to rate/comment on.

* There should be a section for each game where people can add clarifications and links back to BGG posts where you've made clarifications, so we have one central place where people can go and ask questions and seek help about every game. There is currently no place for this other than one overloaded BGG forum. This would be better as a wiki.

* Ideally, some way to incorporate 504rules would be fantastic. I've already taken the existing 504rules code and have it working on my local environment, but I didn't want to add it without permission.

* There's no specific page for the ratings, just one box on the right which only shows the top 9 (?) games. We need something a little more robust that lets you sort by different values. I feel like this is the most important component for most people, and it's been cast off to one side.

* If I may make a recommendation: Wordpress is not the best platform for this, since you're trying to build a database. I would use Drupal (in fact, I did) which will give you a lot more flexibility in what you can do.

These are the things that I was thinking about when I built my site. I would be happy to help in any way I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Henning has given me the go ahead to keep my website alive while a decision is made about which one to keep. So everyone is free to use it if they wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Two Boys and One GirlMicrobadge: Cigar smokerMicrobadge: BBQ loverMicrobadge: Stinkin' BadgeMicrobadge: Game Explainer
Thanks Andy, it's appreciated by me at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: slickerdrips fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
I'm all for having one place where people can make comments and ask questions about each world. I feel BGG might not be the best for this.

I tried adding something earlier today to the official site, and it looks like it worked, but the comment now seems to have disappeared
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
PaulGrogan wrote:
I'm all for having one place where people can make comments and ask questions about each world. I feel BGG might not be the best for this.

I tried adding something earlier today to the official site, and it looks like it worked, but the comment now seems to have disappeared
Well, your comment still exists on my site Thanks!

I'll be adding more features as I find the time; specifically some blocks that show recent comments and ratings and making the whole thing prettier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Fast Forward series fanMicrobadge: Fast Forward: FORTRESS fanMicrobadge: Fast Sloths fanMicrobadge: Fast Forward: FEAR fanMicrobadge: Fire! fan
Andy's comment is also now "back" at the official website.

Friedemann needs to approve comments, so sometimes they may need some time to show up.

Sorry for this inconvenience, but at least nothing gets lost.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: This is mine and mine aloneMicrobadge: I´m only half evilMicrobadge: Radiolab fanMicrobadge: Pentaxian
How do I even add a rating to the official site? I can see how to add a comment, but I don't see an option to rate it. I have been using Andy's site because of this. If that is supposed to be the official site I'd prefer to use it, but if I can't even figure out how to give a rating or see ratings of other people I don't know what use it is.

On a side note, Andy's site is down right now, so I can't even use either at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Vladimir Chvátil fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan
just click the amount of stars to rate a world
to see how others rated this world mouse over the the rate this button

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: This is mine and mine aloneMicrobadge: I´m only half evilMicrobadge: Radiolab fanMicrobadge: Pentaxian
Jack Spirio wrote:
just click the amount of stars to rate a world
to see how others rated this world mouse over the the rate this button
An extension for chrome was blocking the stars. I see them now, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls