Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

LEADERS: The Combined Strategy Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First impression review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
After a play at the spielwiesn in Munich, I am going to capture my impression in a review.

Components

The game comes with a lot of plastic miniatures in 6 Colors (each get 30 Infantry, 10 Tank and 10 Plane models). The Miniatures are ok and functional. The Gameboard looks a bit like a "Risk"-Map with added sea fields. Also there are 6 tableaus included which have a Base Camp, a Drop zone and places for your nation card and the cubes for missions and military research.

Gameplay
After choosing Color and Nation in the LEADERS App, you set up the game by placing infantry models. Each player either starts andywhere on the board and expands into adjacent nations, or the setup rules are dictated by the app and the chosen scenario. After setup, the gameplay begins.

The turn starts by getting troops and resolving Sabotage. The App guides you through this step. After that, you deplay your troops out of your basecamp into your countries, and may then move 1 space. After that, the defending players may put troops into their countries to defend. You then proceed to rolling die to determine the outcome of the battle. Infantry rolls white(3 hits, 3blank), tanks roll grey (4 hits, 2 blank), planes roll black (3 hits, 1 double-hit, 2 blank), but you can only roll 3 dice max. After that, you secretly order new troops, forge alliances through diplomats or spy or sabotage other players, done with the app. You can also start research and missions here.

App integration
The App takes care of most of the gameplay besides the battles. It tracks your production points, research, alliances and mission progress. It adds a layer of secrecy, even between players (peace treaties and alliances are not shown to other players) that saves a lot of hassle. One thing i'd like to see is a "telegram" function to secretly communicate with other players.

Overall impression
I had a lot of fun playing the game. While it certainly is "Risk"-esque, the added layers of research, spying and diplomacy kept the game interesting for me. Also, the designers were pretty cool guys and managed to instantly hook me on the game, resulting in me buying the game and all 3 expansions on the spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Microbadge: Tragedy Looper fanMicrobadge: Codex: Card-Time Strategy fanMicrobadge: Coup: Guatemala 1954 fanMicrobadge: Witness fanMicrobadge: Innovation Deluxe fan
Very interesting. This game has not gotten a lot of buzz, so it is very nice to read some impressions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé GUEGUEN
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Hi

I didn't played yet but I just wanted to say three things :
* The idea of a kind of Game master played by the tablet seems very intersting (secret, new scenarios to download ...)
* Component are fine and the board for each player is a very thick one
* People at Rudy Games are really cool !

I hope to play soon and give a more thorough review

rv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Busch
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Put that thing out of my face
Microbadge: I speak GermanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: How does it do that? It's... it's bigger on the inside!Microbadge: Plays Games with Spouse
Played that game last weekend at the "Spielswiesn" BoardgameFair in Munich.

The Rudy Games People are cool guys and that game hooked me from the first minute.

At first i just wanted to test it two or three rounds, but after the first round i had to finish the game completely!

The app integration (I played newest Version / Second Edition) works like a charm. The graphics are great, the styling is great, the info provided is great and of course the posibilities that are given you by the app are super! Nothing a pure boardgame could provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls