Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

As it says in the subject - there's a guy I blocked who's now sending me geekmail. If I decide I don't want to see a particular user's posts anymore, I sure as heck don't want him to geekmail me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
Since you can still read posts of a blocked user if you choose to, perhaps the more appropriate similar functionality would be to automatically mark read and archive geekmail from the blocked user? I dunno.

A more general solution would be for geekmail to provide some ability to create automatic filtering on incoming messages, like gmail does. Then each person could define to automatically delete, or mark read and archive, or tag with a "blocked-users" tag, or whatever they want. But a filter feature would be harder to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Proud to run STAG - the Sevenoaks & Tonbridge Association of Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

If I decide I don't want to see a particular user's posts anymore, I sure as heck don't want him to geekmail me.
Seconded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "Over my dead body!"Microbadge: Pew! Pew!Microbadge: Han shot first!Microbadge: Star Wars fan - BlasterMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Greedo
Quayde wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

If I decide I don't want to see a particular user's posts anymore, I sure as heck don't want him to geekmail me.
Seconded
Why don't you want to read my geekmail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple1 wrote:
Why don't you want to read my geekmail
It's not your geekmail that's the problem, as I'm sure you know.

I've been on BGG getting on for five years now and there's only been one user who having not had enough to say in a thread decided to have a go at me via geekmail. I didn't want to block his - prolific - posts in the first place, but I did; then I realised there seemed to be no way to block his geekmails if he chose to continue the 'conversation' despite me clearly ending my participation in it.

As it turns out, he stopped geekmailing me - whether it was through good judgement or because I wouldn't play his game, I don't know - but this lack of functionality was certainly highlighted for me. Hence, "Seconded".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed Games
If the geek-mailer is actively harassing/stalking/threatening you, as opposed to just being annoyingly friendly or whatever, I believe the proper move is to contact:

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Actually, it might be a good move anyway, regardless of geekmail content or intentions, just to get an idea of what he thinks. I think he is in charge of issues like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quayde wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:
Why don't you want to read my geekmail :p
It's not your geekmail that's the problem, as I'm sure you know. :)

I've been on BGG getting on for five years now and there's only been one user who having not had enough to say in a thread decided to have a go at me via geekmail. I didn't want to block his - prolific - posts in the first place, but I did; then I realised there seemed to be no way to block his geekmails if he chose to continue the 'conversation' despite me clearly ending my participation in it.

As it turns out, he stopped geekmailing me - whether it was through good judgement or because I wouldn't play his game, I don't know - but this lack of functionality was certainly highlighted for me. Hence, "Seconded".
You are aware that someone does not know you have blocked them, so he may not been aware you did not wish to continue, until you did not continue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
contrarian
Microbadge: TCS: Canadian Crucible fanMicrobadge: Operational Combat series fanMicrobadge: Dean Essig FanMicrobadge: Battalion Combat Series FanMicrobadge: Last Chance for Victory Fan - Rebels

Well, he has probably got the message now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
You are aware that someone does not know you have blocked them, so he may not been aware you did not wish to continue, until you did not continue?
I blocked him only after he brought the 'discussion' to geekmail. I told him that is what I would do, even though I did not want to, but his attitude had been persistently aggressive, so I felt I was left with no option.

Unfortunately, now I am reminded of the whole thing everything I see the blocked posts. It's a shame: BGG is generally a great community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
Quayde wrote:
I blocked him only after he brought the 'discussion' to geekmail. I told him that is what I would do...
Now that is a mistake - hopefully it won't prove to be a fatal one.

As for the suggestions to contact Octavian if you don't want further emails from a particular party, I can testify from experience that this works. I first told the other person not to contact me again, and when they responded despite that I forwarded the response to Octavian. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ScientistMicrobadge: CollectorMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Wargame Design HobbyistMicrobadge: League of Extraordinary Heroscapers member
Sphere wrote:
Quayde wrote:
I blocked him only after he brought the 'discussion' to geekmail. I told him that is what I would do...
Now that is a mistake - hopefully it won't prove to be a fatal one.

As for the suggestions to contact Octavian if you don't want further emails from a particular party, I can testify from experience that this works. I first told the other person not to contact me again, and when they responded despite that I forwarded the response to Octavian. Problem solved.

After almost 11 years happily on BGG, I have had recent need to contact the Hidden Lord to do just this. Embarrassing but needed.

It would still be nice to have an autofunction, rather than handing dirty laundry off to someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed Games
Koldfoot wrote:
Threads like these bug me.

(Some apology to the OP for what follows, he isn't the cause of my anger, he is just the last straw.)
But numerous passive aggressive users have used the forums in this exact same manner to let it be known that they have plonked someone. Great. The thing is that everyone familiar with the person creating the thread knows (or likely knows) who got plonked. There is certainly enough information in these threads to do some research and make a good guess.
The only reason I can see to create these threads is to make it known and public that they plonked someone, and from there it is child's play to come up with a likely suspect.
I am not asking how one might figure this, but since you brought it up, I just wanted to point out that I tried to do what you just said, and could not figure it out at all. Unless you were talking about other people, and not the OP. And, obviously, I don't want anyone to point it out for me. I just wanted to note that not everyone can do what you described. For what that's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The only reason I can see to create these threads is to make it known and public that they plonked someone, and from there it is child's play to come up with a likely suspect.
A tad cynical, perhaps, but I see your point. Maybe I was being naive, but I responded to the OP in good faith and, at the least, have learned a new use for the work 'plonk'. I'll never look at a bottle of cheap wine the same way again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls