10 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for some new games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Due to some private matters, I didn't have a lot of time to play games in the last year or so, but now I'd like to pick up the hobby and bring together some friends again to gather around the table.
But I'd like some suggestions on what to play/what to get.

Some info maybe:

Number of Players: Mostly 2 players (me and my brother), but occasionaly up to 6 players

Game Length: Anywhere around 30 min up to 1h30.

Complexity of Game: To me and my brother it really doesn't matter. To other/newer players, it might be more fun if it's easy to explain and remember.

Competitive or Cooperative: Both are good.

Games I Own/like: Twilight Struggle (a lot of fun, but a little too long), Alien Frontiers, Carcassonne, Flash Point (maybe a little too easy?), King Of Tokyo, Love Letter, Memoir '44, Neuroshima Hex, Race for the Galaxy (very cool game, but somewhat hard to explain/grasp for newcomers), Star Wars X-Wing Miniature Game, Troyes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like Magic: the Gathering? If yes, but if you don't want to spend a ton of money on it and don't like randomized booster packs, and if you don't like getting mana screwed or flooded, take a look at Epic Card Game. Terrific game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like flashpoint but find it too easy, maybe its time to step up to Pandemic?
As for 2P games there are a lot of 2P specific games that are great, easy and difficult. Games that hit our table most lately are Patchwork, Agricola 2P, 7 wonders Duel and Yinsh.

There are also some games that are easy and scaled great with 2P, so you can play them on both occassions, coming to mind right now are Small World and Splendor.

For 6players in total its harder to find games (or at least that's my opinion). We enjoy Nosferatu, Letters from Whitechapel, Codenames and Mysterium lately when there is six of us.

Good Luck !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElMarto wrote:

[b]Games I Own/like: (...)
Race for the Galaxy (very cool game, but somewhat hard to explain/grasp for newcomers)
Do you know that Race for the Galaxy is based on the card game San Juan?
To me, San Juan feels like a streamlined version of Race for the Galaxy, very streamlined. It has a completely different theme (building up a city), but it's a truly great game. I actually like it even better than Race for the Galaxy, because you can easily teach it to others and you don't have to be a boardgamegeek to like it. Works great with 2-4 players.

Do you already know Roll for the Galaxy? It's a dice-variant of Race for the Galaxy and they did an amazing job! It has the same theme, some of the same mechanics and ideas, but is quite a bit more streamlined than the card game. It's good with 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:

Do you know that Race for the Galaxy is based on the card game San Juan?

Not completely true. They were sort of simultaneoulsy developed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[last message deleted]
Ok. I now see that they worked together. So they influenced each other.

So Race for the Galaxy is not like the offspring of San Juan, but more like its sophisticated brother. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:
[last message deleted]
Ok. I now see that they worked together. So they influenced each other.

So Race for the Galaxy is not like the offspring of San Juan, but more like its sophisticated brother. :-)
Well said. For the record, both are essential in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Warr
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: The Bermuda Crisis: Discovery Dawning (Second Edition) fanMicrobadge: Amateur MagicianMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Michigan State University
Up to 6 players is tough; that's a pretty high threshold. 7 Wonders comes to mind (I think the two player mode isn't bad). Mysterium is good as well, but better with more players I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Lo
United States
West Memphis
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Wingspan fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Thames & Kosmos "Legends of Andor" Contest participantMicrobadge: University of MemphisMicrobadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Anniversary Edition
Have you tried Android: Netrunner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 players is a hard number to fill (I know from experience). The more people you have the simpler the experience tends to me (almost out of necessity to keep game length and down time reasonable). Some possibilities might be Level 7 [Omega Protocol], Diamant, Rise of Augustus.

For two player only, I really recommend Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls