Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played this game many times. I have never played any expansions. Could anyone that has played all the expansions give me a quick synopsis of each official expansion? I was looking to maybe pick up one or two but not sure which ones may appeal to me. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
Do not click on it!
badge
I play with red!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up Pandemic Legacy when you a have a fix gaming group. It is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get "on the brink". It gives you more roles, harder winning conditions. "In the lab" is a different kettle of fish. I have not tried the third expansion yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Lam
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the Brink: More characters, events and special epidemics....and diseases(mutation=purple)

A great expansion if you just want more of the same. It's pandemic but with more vairety.

In the Lab: Comes with the lab board which changes the way you cure diseases. Also a few more characters and events.

A great expansion if you want some more theme to game and a bit more complexity. Still pandemic but...a little different (but better IMO)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is Legacy? And why do you need a fixed gaming group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Engels
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:
I own and have played this game many times. I have never played any expansions. Could anyone that has played all the expansions give me a quick synopsis of each official expansion? I was looking to maybe pick up one or two but not sure which ones may appeal to me. Thanks!
All expansions add new roles and new events. In a few cases these new cards are only usable in certain modules, but most can be used in any kind of Pandemic game. If you get OTB, it will be come possible to play with 5 players (OTB has the biggest number of new event cards, which you'll need if you want to play a 5-player game without making it too hard for yourself), although if I'm not mistaken, this is also possible when you combine the other 2 expansions.

All expansions offer multiple modular variants to the base game, which can in many cases even be combined.

New modules
On the Brink:
* Virulent Strain challenge - one of the 4 diseases gains extra properties, making it more difficult to cure or treat, or make it spread faster.
* Mutation challenge - adds a 5th disease to the game.
* Bioterrorist - instead of full co-op, this is a 1 vs 2-3 game, in which the terrorist tries to spread disease.

In the Lab:
* Lab challenge - changes the way to make the cures (for all diseases); instead of only collecting cards, you have to process samples on the separate lab board.
* Team challenge - semi-cooperative variant where the players are separated in teams that can score points when finding cures or eradicate disease.
* Solo CDC challenge - official solo rules where you only play a single role, assisted by a CDC "role" that gives you a few extra action options.
* Worldwide Panic mutation challenge - similar to the Mutation challenge in OTB, but with slightly different rules.

State of Emergency:
* Hinterlands challenge - diseases can spread through rural areas that are connected to multiple cities.
* Emergency Event challenge - new, negative event cards are added to the player deck.
* Superbug mutation challenge - difficult variant of the Mutation challenges from OTB and ITL where you cannot treat this disease until you have found a cure.
* Quarantines - these help the players keep the diseases under control by limiting infections.

If you're looking for a thematic "upgrade", I can recommend ITL, as the Lab challenge is in my opinion the best of the new modules. It makes the process of discovering cures more interesting (and longer). Even if you don't use any of the other modules in this box, it's still worth it.
If you're not so worried about theme, I'd recommend you start with OTB as it has more roles/events and the modules are still excellent.
SOE is not as good as either of the previous 2 expansion, but still very enjoyable and worth the money if you still haven't had enough of the game after playing through OTB and ITL.

There are also several Pandemic games that are not expansions, but instead are stand-alone games (Cure, Contagion and Legacy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
Do not click on it!
badge
I play with red!
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy is the new sh** Pandemic Legacy: Season 1

First you have normal legacy but the game evolves. You're playing a full year and every month is a different game. The "legacy" means you get some closed boxes and stickers which you will open at some point. There are some twists and you get a nice plot.

A fix game group is better for this game because nobody wants to miss a game. And the game will change so everybody knows what and why it has changed. It is really a cool experience and does make a good game great. It is also climbing the board game ranks right now. You should take a look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seen wrote:
SOE is not as good as either of the previous 2 expansion, but still very enjoyable and worth the money if you still haven't had enough of the game after playing through OTB and ITL.

There are also several Pandemic games that are not expansions, but instead are stand-alone games (Cure, Contagion and Legacy)
I think user 'seen' provides a pretty good summary of the 3 expansions.

As for purchasing decisions I think I differ a bit from the group think here on BGG so perhaps you will find the diversity useful.

I would rank the expansions as:
1. On the brink (OTB)
2. State of emergency (SOE)
3. In the lab (ITL)

I think a lot of fans give in the lab a free pass. I think the lab mechanism is a bit overly wrought for what you get.

OTB is the best next step. It adds a lot more of the stuff you like, more roles, more events, the virulent strains add to the challenge in an interesting way and the mutation challenge is a change.

SOE is the best second step. It reminds me a lot of OTB by adding more of what you like and adding a couple of optional challenges.

ITL, while I like it (...and I think it is pretty awesome) I don't recommend it until step 3. It really adds a lot of complexity to curing diseases. I like it, but I will admit I am surprised that BGGers like it as much as they do; usually gamers do not take well to expansions that take a simple mechanic and then blow it up into a much more complicated one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:
What is Legacy? And why do you need a fixed gaming group?
Legacy is not an expansion for your copy of pandemic.

It is a disposable copy of pandemic that comes with a campaign mode. You play it once all the way through (but spread across multiple gaming sessions) and then you are done. You can throw the game away when you are done, it is not replayable.

People recommend playing with a fixed gaming group so that you can enjoy the campaign mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't picked up SOE yet, but I'd generally agree I think On the Brink has a few options that add some really good flavor to the game. In The Lab definitely changes the whole color of the game.

Pandemic Legacy looks really good, I'm trying to get over the destructibility of the game, and I don't have a group to play it with yet.

I am considering running it as a monthly event for my local gaming store, with there being a sign up each month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Snake
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that the expansions are modular... so I can add a module, remove a module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls